The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say your correct.

If it tips in one direction at all....it's absolutely no more than a 60/40 split. People that live up here on the border have more of a relationship with the state of Michigan than anyone else in Ohio (understandably). Growing up in Fulton County we just as often drove to Adrian MI to go shopping and out to eat...as we did Toledo. Most everyone within an hour of the border or so travels to Detroit for air travel from DTW. A part of Toledos suburbs are Michigan (Lambertville, Temperance, Bedford Twp). We can get to the Big House in less than an hour. It takes at least 2 hours to get to the Shoe.

Lot of close ties to Michigan and UM as well up here.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Shout out to our friends in Austin for clinching a playoff spot. Well deserved.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they get absolutely stomped, at home, in the first round.

In a perfect world a Justin Meram meathook will end their season. A man can dream...

Kryptonite, Tobias C, TKyle and 4 others repped this.
  4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only after he dribbled out of bounds, the entire Austin team stopped playing, but nobody blew a whistle to stop play.

TKyle and ihateyousomuch repped this.
  5. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An excellent instance of nomenclature.

russ and LaMacchia repped this.
  6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I do like Meram more than any player ion Austin's roster currently.

catfish9 repped this.
  7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than Andrew Tarbell?!

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Easily the best atmosphere of the first round matches today in Austin. The fans won that game for Austin FC. Never let up even after going down 2-0. Kept the team in the match. Showed undying belief. Got in RSL's head at the end.

Kudos to our friends in Austin who travelled beyond city limits, where evidently parking doesn't exist, and public transportation will never go. Makes the showing even more impressive when you think about it.

Ecstatic for Josh Wolff and Brad Stuver. They should be ours. Oh well.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  9. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Ethan Findley. And Hector Jimenez. And Andrew Tarbell. And Owen Wolff.

hangthadj repped this.
  10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A lot to like in that team.

11. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namely their ability to play entire matches.

russ, Ball Kicker, TRUJDUB21 and 5 others repped this.
  12. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also similar to the Crew fan base in that they put up a lot of progressive signage, while living in a politically backward state.

hangthadj repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when does the ref blow the whistle when a ball goes into touch?

I know that some people still want to say that the Crew blew that situation at MLS Cup by not playing until the ref blew his whistle, and it's shockingly ignorant.

The referee does not whistle play dead (which is what the whistle means) when the ball goes over the touchline. The signal for a ball out is the Referee Assistant popping his flag. If the referee blew his whistle then players would have to wait for the restart until he blew it again. Which is not how it works, as anyone who has ever watched a soccer game can attest.

As a certain befuddled, senile old man would say, "Come on man".

MLSinCleveland, soccerncbus and stanger repped this.
  14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is 99.9% of my ongoing beef with Dom Tiberi on Twitter.

Ignorance of the laws of the game are one thing, just admit you don’t know what you are talking about instead of trying to talk around it.

15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul171121 repped this.
  16. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When's the last time you went to a U10 game? Kids are coached to play to the whistle. It also helps that there is typically no assistant referees and that the ref also has to be dropped off at the fields by their parents. :D

17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U10 kids also can't head the ball and have something called a "build out" line instead of offside.

U10 is not a good comparison for anything soccer related. ;)

18. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Build-out box is a thing, but they also have offsides too... well if the ref is paying attention. They even have uniforms and everything -- it's really great*.

You're right about the comparison though -- I've seen more PKs saved from defenders with inadvertent headballs in the last 3 months than I have over the last several years of watching Room between the pipes.

* Major League reference if you missed it

MLSinCleveland and stanger repped this.
  19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're mostly right.

Sure, the referee will sometimes blow the whistle for a ball out of play, but that's only if it was a close call and play didn't stop, or if the wrong team is about to try to take the throw-in. It's not REQUIRED for the whistle to blow, but it can be necessary.

But you're wrong about the re-start of play. Just because the ref blows the whistle doesn't mean the players are forced to wait for another whistle. That only applies if the referee INSTRUCTS players to wait for the whistle. If what you're saying is true, there would never be a quick free kick, ever.

20. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    There's a "build out line" that the opposing team has to get behind during goal kicks and when the keeper handles the ball. They cannot cross the line until the ball is put in play or in some leagues when the defending team takes a touch after the ball is in play. The keeper may elect to put the ball in play before the opposing team gets across the line and if that is the case then play is live and the ball is fair play. There is no offside before the build out line (like the half line in grown ass soccer).

It helps the defending team have some space to create a pass to get the ball out since a lot of kids still can't kick the ball that far consistently and for some reason the keepers are not allowed to punt. Personally I think it rewards the opposing team to stack the build out line and rush the defender to make a bad play. If you do not have skilled defenders who can deal with pressure and make that first pass then it's going to be a long day. My son's team got good at this and we actually preferred the other team take a goal kick versus our team taking a corner.

21. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having not played soccer growing up, I don;t know this as well as I do for other sports: Around what age do average kids (not kids playing on elite academy teams) start playing something that reasonably looks like soccer? (i.e. at least recognizable as NFHS/NCAA-ish rules, if not FIFA)

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't allowed to punt because a ball that high might cause them to head the ball, which could cause a concussion in our precious little buggers.

My daughter started coaching u-8's last year. She's an accomplished player, lettering 4 years in college, and had her mind blown by some of the stupidity that has been forced on our kids since she played at the age.

TRUJDUB21, puttputtfc and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a while since I was involved in sandbox soccer but I believe this is still the drill:

U8's play small field 4 on 4 no keeper. Doesn't look much like actual soccer, the kids mostly play amoeba ball and good for them.

U10's play on modified size pitch 7 on 7 with a keeper. Looks a lot like soccer.

That being said, those are the USYSA recommendations. Some leagues ignore them and play however they want.

Then of course there are so called "sele t" or "travel" or whatever leagues ( there used to be one run out of Pickerington) that play something very much like soccer at U8/U10.

But like I said it's been a while.

24. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    My boss said his son is playing in worthington U-8, and they are finally playing what he calls soccer. Apparently his son has some skill, but my boss doesn't know much about the sport or tactics, so he's not sure how to help him.

As for the concussion issues, I would have probably been on the side of they can head the ball, until I recently had a concussion, so yeah if we can avoid having eight year olds get even slight head injuries I'm for it. Maybe the GK can still punt it if he's 10 yards away from another player.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Crew used to have camps for young players. Not the ones who could enter an academy but those who just want to increase their skill.

Do they still do that?