The Laws of the Game: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by deejay, Aug 28, 2014.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree that once VAR operates seamlessly within the sport it will be a good thing.

The main problem I have is that the "growing pains", which even you admit to, will be happening during the World Cup Finals! IOW, we sacrifice the WC finals to be part of the trial phase (along with the Confed Cup and a couple Youth WCs) so that the system can be running effectively and efficiently in time for Watford v Aston Villa & Eibar v Espanyol in 2019. :laugh:

The reverse timeline would seem to have been the logical way to go. :cautious:

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's see how much of an inconvenience and pain it will be before preemptively complaining about it.

I feel that way about most issues in the FIFA forum. People seem to complain before the thing has even been officially implemented.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'd like VAR to not slow down the game. But I'd also like it to encourage players not to cheat because they know it will catch them. And I'd like it to correct obvious errors. But it is a balance, because I don't want to end up like our North American based sports where too much is reviewed and games have no momentum and take too long.

zahzah repped this.
  4. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    #229 guri, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    This us being rushed through on purpose.
    If this would've been done in the proper manner the fans would have time to think about the long term consequences to the game and realize that in this "new PC world" the whole purpose of this change is to benefit the "soft" teams(putting it nicely).

...while watching France-England Six Nations rugby match... That's a sport I could get into...
    And they have VAR:D

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's some BS way to think about it.

You say benefit "soft teams" but in reality it's to increase % of correct calls making the end result fairer.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Except for the fact that it has been implemented and we know already that VAR gets off to a rough start wherever its been introduced (see FA cup and 2017 youth WCs).

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Rough or not I think it is needed. The benefits outweigh the inconveniences.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Rough? There was nothing rough in their beginnings. A bit too slow, but in general the majority of issues people had was based on exaggerating minor issues by people that just don't like the concept of VAR, full stop.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think using diagonal lines to determine whether a player is offside qualifies as "rough".

var-1.png

10. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Wait till you see a game with a ref from Vanuatu and linemen from Uganda and the Salomon Islands in the WC.
    2002 will be remembered as the "good old times".

BocaFan repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I hope the communication is relatively quick. We had an incident in our league a few weeks back where a penalty decision was reviewed and after a long delay (around 4 minutes) the penalty stood and a player from the side that received the penalty got a straight red card. I was watching on TV and it had me totally confused and it wasn't until the half time break (which was only a couple of minutes later) that it was explained. The penalty review was pretty quick and given the OK. While that was happening there was a bit of an argument between two players and it the referee requested a review of that and it turned out that one player stomped on the other players foot while they were standing next to each other. The commentators weren't aware of the second incident at all at the time. Correct decisions were made, which was good, but there were a lot of confused spectators and I think most at the game wouldn't have known what was going on.

13. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is the A League though.

15. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Because in Soviet Russia you fail software?

J

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    "In your country you use software. In my country software uses us!"
    - My best Yakov Smirnoff impression

17. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Or the guy running Cambridge Analytica

J

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    NAh.

There will be no "hand of God" and biting of players without cards and proper punishments. IT will change the World Cup for the better in my opinion. Even though there will be some growing pains.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    For once we agree on something. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario and at this point there is no turning back. Hopefully the kinks can be worked out very soon.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For once?
    You have some horrible opinions if this is the first time you have agreed with my posts.
    :p:D

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not sure which leagues you follow. But VAR has been a disaster in MLS, IMO. The notion that the "right' call always gets made is a myth, as it ever was. Balls glancing off of fingernails get called more often for penalties now. The fouls that led up to it still get routinely ignored. So we're just taking more fairness away from defenders and giving referees even more discretion (something that refs already have far too much of).

I'll be honest, VAR has made me deeply question my ability to watch MLS. I'm 2 or 3 shitty calls from completely giving up on the league. That would have been unthinkable for me a year ago, and I've been following the league since before they started up.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know if you know just how VAR works but it is essentially another tool or resource for the main Referee.
    He always has the final say on whether or not a call should be reviewed. The VAR officials just suggest to him if he should take another look at a controversial call that may be very important to the result of the game.

I don't think that is a bad thing when it comes to the good of the game,

Yes, there are some growing pains since it is a new technology that has been implemented. But that is like any technology that is being introduced. There are some bugs to be worked out but that does not mean that it is a bad thing to use and implement. It just means you have to be patient with the technology and how it evolves.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Handballs was one of the first things I was worried about the day I learned that VAR would be used for more than just black & white decisions. Slo-mo replays tend to make it look more intentional than it probably was.

Whatever the ref thought it was in real time is probably as good as it'll get. Showing him replays only increases the chance that the wrong call is made, IMO. Unless he was looking the other way and simply didn't see anything.

With regular fouls VAR could really help though as its just too difficult to determine if there was contact a lot of the time.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #250 HomietheClown, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    When it comes to hand balls and penalties intention really has little to do with it.

A penalty can be called even if the intention is not clearly there. It has to do with is the arm/hand in a natural or unnatural position when the ball makes contact.