The latest on MLS and ROchester

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by nyrmetros, May 20, 2004.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    One table with 12 teams does not work. MLS is not going to play a 22 or 44 game schedule. And none of us would want to be on BigSoccer if MLS ran a 33 game schedule, considering 6 teams would get 17 home games and 6 would only have 16.

MLS will drop the playoffs when the MFL drops theirs. Plenty of soccer leagues have post-season tournaments. Get used to it.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But a 16-team single table does work. :)

Except for the fact that you could be, like, a 16th-place team by July and that's no good, either. :)

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much an FYP, but more of an aftermarket upgrade.

4. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Has any news been made on Who is going to get the green light to be included in the expansion? :eek:

is it in 2006 the expansion?

5. Adi_Dassler

Adi_Dassler New Member

DuRoss is NOT making money and he, for sure, doesn't have deep enough pockets to subsidize MLS.

http://www.rochester-citynews.com/gbase/Gyrosite/content?oid=oid:2781

Mike Doser is hardly a credible journalist though.

DuRoss has repeatedly said that he has had no talks with MLS regarding relocation...I'm sure he is waiting for a sweetheart deal from MLS as he feels with PTP and Rochester's fanbase the Rhinos would bring instant profitabilty to the league. I think he feels he has leverage with MLS and but I think Garber is just laughing behind his back.

6. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Well Rochester will not be in the MLS for 2005. but 2006 could be possible.

MLS have awarded expansion team mandates to Salt Lake City, and Chivas

just as a question where the hell is Chivas? what is it all aboot? :S

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Chivas is a Mexican club based in Guadalejara. (I may have mangled the spelling) The owner of the club has bought into MLS and will be putting an expansion team in Los Angeles. They will ground-share with the LA Galaxy.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you say this about Doser? I know the guy and I don't remember anything he wrote to be anything but credible.

9. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps this is true, but he's seeing the same thing MLS investors are seeing. Hundreds of thousands of dollars getting made at soccer games and it's not going into the soccer team's pockets.

Something that has already been discussed. Even if this is true, he has guided an A-League team in a small market to magnificent success. Even if he's not the chief owner/operator, MLS would only prosper in Rochester and western NY with him at the helm and PTP in hand.

10. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    Reading the article pretty much confirms my suspicions as to why Rochester isn't an expansion team yet:

1) Need to have PTP ready or at least seriously in the building stages

2) Need to have more money men with deeper pockets as part of the ownership group for MLS to feel comfortable

Not that this should be any surprise to anyone. I just hope that those who scream and scream about what an injustice it is that Rochester isn't in the league yet really think about it. MLS, in building their league, is working on their own credibility. Having potentially shaky franchises or ownership groups won't help. I can appreciate their caution (though the Chivas thing still has me worried).

Once Rochester has all its ducks in a row, they'll be in, and everyone will be the better for it. :)

11. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whoah! This guy is prophetic. Writing a response to losses in the Open Cup before they even happened!

12. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Hey... this is precisely why "average fans" - as well as Investor/Operators in MLS - aren't going to be amenable to giving the US Open Cup any more attention/legitimacy than it already gets.

From a marketing stand-point, it's a no win situation for Major League soccer clubs, as it's "expected" that they should defeat lower division franchises. If they do, the mindset of the average American pro sports fan is, "So what?". If they don't, it makes a member team in MLS look "bad".

The bottom line is that MLS clubs will regard winning the US Open Cup as a nice "extra" for their fans, but they're going to focus attention on the pursuit of the MLS Cup. Period.

Brian in Boston

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You wish.

The reason it isn't given any more play by the I/Os of MLS is that it's a money pit. There is currently no mechanism in the U.S. to turn the USOC into a profitable venture. None.

There is no way to pre-schedule these matches, and with all minor leagues (and in many aspects MLS is a minor league) the printed schedule or schedule magnet on the fridge is still the main attendance driver. Playoff games, USOC games, CONCACAF Cup games, and rescheduled games are all disasters.

Sure, individual games do well. Apparently a good crowd showed up in Atlanta for the Wizards, but on the whole the USOC is a financial mistake.

That's the reason it doesn't get more "play" or focus from the MLS I/Os. Their key to survival is to shore up their core product - MLS and MLS Cup Playoffs. Once the league is making money on those ventures - only then will things change.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This part I agree with, for the most part. I agree with Andy, too.

Just please don't sign your posts. We know who you are.

15. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I hope it won't be called the Chivas USA, sounds like an amusement park!
    like Strong Badia Mount Ridesplace USA! lol :D

a mexican dominated side ey? may work in the US but we did the same in the NSL with croatian, serbian, turkish, greek, macedonian, italian, dutch, german.............you name it we have had teams that have had a very large ethnic backing and the league collapsed due to bickering and selfish owners who didn't want to move the game forward.

That would be my only concern with this Chivas team.

16. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  17. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Here's a rundown on some of the points made by Frank DuRoss:

14 studies in 20 years have been done on the site (mostly environmental)

Geotechnical report showed that the water table varied on property and the old Erie Canal bed would make the facility unstable

Redesign cost several $100,000 to do, project increase is $2 mil--which the Rhinos will absorb

Use of Steel and Metal will speed construction

We only lose a couple of weeks since construction can take place through the winter

FDR thinks that the we will need to play May-June home games on the road

The design will be horseshoe with the open end of the stadium facing downtown and the stadium will be about 50 feet tall.

No final decision has been made on whether the Rhinos will use a food vendor (Aramark, Sohdexho) or manage concessions themselves.

18. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this will basically be a CCS like stadium. Less concrete, more steel. That should be fine with any Rhino fan though, at least its going to happen.

19. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I've been to CCS once and I really liked it. I really liked the bench seating since it gives you more room than the regular stadium chair and it is easier to deal with people coming up and down your row. I just hope that the Rhinos will put some money into landscaping to take some of the harsh edges off-stadia feng shui if you will.