The KRC Genk thread [R]

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by tomo, Nov 4, 2004.

1. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    What do you reckon, Blues? Can they do it? Charleroi seems like a tough match, but so does Gent. And Oostende at home is never a present. I guess Standard will finish third. Genk blew it in the cup, they should never have lost from GBA.

2. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    Thanks, DSC05!

Indeed, tomo, Charleroi will be a very tough match. They can break really fast, and Akgul will be a major threat to our defence. I hope they can all be concentrated till the very end of the game (something we didn't do at GBA and at home to Oostende).

I also think Standard will finish third. They have a good squad, and they won't blew in their two final games. But, there's an old funny saying that goes: In football, everything is possible! Who would have even bet on Genk drawing at home to Oostende for crying out loud...

3. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Any opinions on the work of Vandereycken? I think some things can be noted:

1. Youngsters get little chances, but if they do they are really good, like Collins John at Twente and now Haroun.

2. Tactically he's one of the best coaches, IMO. Players get to play different positions, which will make them better tactically. Belgian football can only benefit from the tactical wisdom they are getting now.

3. Obviously his communication skills aren't the best. Although he's right most of the times, it's a pity he's wasting his time on stupid details. Maybe this could be to keep the pressure of the team.

4. His transfers are of a 50/50 percentage. Engelaar and Stojanovic do well, Soetaers and Miskulic can do better.

5. The football is less attractive, but he's gotten the naievity out of the group.

4. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    I agree with 1.

As for 2., when playing a defensive team, we seem unable to force their defence. A number 10 who also can defend (not Engelaar, but more someone like Skoko) would be more than welcome.

He is just to concerned with his players, he would go through hell for them. E.g. the "riot" with Antheunis. After the ref had not given two clear penalties to us, Antheunis stated that the ref had done a good job, which implicitly means that Beslija (the player on who the fauls were made) is a diver. But I agree he can exagerate, but on the other hand I'm happy we have a coach with balls, in contrary to Father Sef Vergoossen.

Just for the record, the final three transfers (Soetaers, Stojanovic, Mikulic) are the work of Ariel Jacobs.

Stojanovic is a very good signing, he has the abilities to become a second Branko Strupar in Genk :)

Soetaers started off quite well, but was then on the bench for a couple of games. I think he's not physically ready for a full game (he hasn't played for 6 months before arriving in Genk), and Vandereycken doesn't want to burn him at once... If Daerden leaves, I'm sure he will become a vast member of the starting line-up...

Mikulic is quite a relief regarding to Sigurdsson, who is possibly the Genks worst player ever. But due to injuries and suspensions, he plays in central defence, and we're stuck with Sigurdsson anyway...

Totally agree with this one. Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of play the Genk fans are used to see. They don't like it one bit, and despite the results, they are very unhappy. But most of them are only focussed on results, and start booing after only five minutes :(

5. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Didn't know that but I'm happy to hear it. Ariel Jacobs really knows football and I always had the feeling Genk didn't make much use of his knowledge.

Definitely. From what I've seen, I was really charmed. Especially his through balls are magnificent, but he also has a good shot.

BTW, I really don't understand Brugge could let Cornelis go. Genk is going to see nice things from that guy.

6. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    Broos is very close to becoming the new coach of Genk.

7. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Don't know what to think of this. He might be good for the youngsters and the internal rest, but I still don't know how good he actually is as a coach. He has stayed at Brugge, Moeskroen and Anderlecht for quite some time and got great results, but I believe he's not the biggest innovator.

8. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    A final decision should be made today. The two candidates are Broos and Johan Neeskens. I'm pretty curious...

9. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Is Neeskens a good trainer?

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not from what I have seen of NEC.

11. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Neeskens is not an option anymore, they signed Broos.

Club Brugge would be interested in signing Valgaeren (Celtic), Dufer (Caen?) and Pieroni (Auxerre). This will be necessary after they already lost Vanderheyden, Ceh and Cornelis and Simons seems on his way to PSV.
    Sollied has attracted the interest of Olympiakos and is overtly flirting with them.
    Degryse said they wanted to have a stronger team next year, which sounds like crap to me as they already let go of four very valuable players.

[edit] Whoops, I thought I was in the news and rumours thread.

12. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    and those rumours have been denied by Van Hove.
    Besides, Valgaeren doesn't want to come to belgium
    and Pieroni is not negotiable in Auxerre.
    Maybe they can get Dufer, but i think Verheyen will be
    posted on the right for one more year, so next year, Dufer
    will not have many playing options

13. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
  14. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    He had some bad luck the last couple of years but he's only 29 and still has some good defending in him.

15. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Genk wins 2-3 at Metallurgs. Definitely a good result, they should be able to go through.

16. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    It doesn't look like Genk's started the season off so well. Three matches and three draws. Big match this weekend against Anderlecht though. The English site is finally updating their stuff though :).

17. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Is it really 3-0 Genk right now???

18. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    That's the result. Three nice goals, by Vandenbergh, Daerden and Stojanovic. Liepas was a crap team (sorry to all the Liepas fans on these boards :D ).

19. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow I didn't realize this thread hadn't been posted in for such a long time. What happened to all our Genk supporters? I finally checked their site again and noticed they brought their English site back, so I can follow them again.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you post a link to Genk in English for me?

21. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
  22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not bad. Its not as good as Feyenoord or Anderlecht, but its pretty good.

23. sforzindrum

sforzindrum New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    België
    heh, as long as we stay top of the league, don't mind lack of posts here :D

for the moment, not much to report unless that Seyfo will be leaving for good, and the Genk-Standard feud is still simmering after the Defour disaster :mad:

Genk-bestuur zal niet afzakken naar Standard wo 24/01/07 - Genk pikt het niet dat ex-voorzitter Jos Vaessen niet gewenst is in Luik. "We wilden naar Standard gaan, maar nu hoeft het niet meer voor ons."

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/voetbal/eerste_klasse/070124_Genk_weetjes/index.html

24. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Is Pocognoli a player for PSV?

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That's a bit of a difficult question. He is the best left back in the league. But I think he'd probably be more effective at Ajax. But there's no reason why he couldn't be successfull at PSV as well.