The Kansas City/Chattanooga Pro/Rel Meet-n-Greet Superthread

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by USRufnex, Nov 25, 2015.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A tragedy, though I prefer Bowie over both.

Though considering this was the genre that also spawned Alvin Stardust and god help us, that POS Gary Glitter, suddenly Slade don't seem quite so cringeworthy.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seem like they were decent blokes who just wanted to entertain people and make them happy. I don't have anything against them, I just find their music lowest-common-denominator bombast.

3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not particularly sophisticated when it comes to music (some might say that I could have stopped this sentence after four words).

I have a lot of LCD bombast in my collection.

I was at an Alice in Chains gig a couple of weeks ago and while I'm naturally too reserved to express a tremendous amount of outward emotion, inside I was like a girl at sixties Beatles concert.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I love loud rock music. I'll be catching Guided by Voices at the Black Cat here in DC in a few weeks.

barroldinho repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

#prorel4usl

barroldinho repped this.
  6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's nice to see them move in this direction. With them, NPSL and to a more vaporous extent NASL/NISA talking about implementing tiers with a view to pro/rel, I think we're nearing a time where the USSF should start addressing such a structure in the PLS.

For example, would you really need to have an owner with a net worth of $7.5m to be promoted from D3 to D2 (versus $5m for D3 sanctioning)?

Paul Berry repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmm, that doesn't help the fan owned teams.

8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess it depends on the ownership structure.

For example, Toronto FC are owned by MLSE, who are ultimately a subsidiary of Rogers Entertainment, which is a publicly traded company, rather than having a majority owner of any specific net worth. The company itself of course, is worth many billions.

I'm still of the opinion that as long as it can be demonstrated that a fan-owned club has enough combined cash-flow, capital and security and are in line with other reqs, they'd have a solid chance of getting that net worth requirement waived.

9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Last week, Freakonomics had a show about "hidden side of sports" and one part resonated with me with regards to player pay in lower league sports:

"VENKATESH: And so we thought that would help us understand what happens to these folks. I think one of the most curious things that we find is how much ten years matter. If you take two people who grew up in the same circumstances, let’s say one played baseball and one didn’t, the person who plays baseball is making about forty percent less on average ten years after they enter the game than the person who decides not to play baseball and who just wanted a regular career.

DUBNER: All right, so what kind of background is typical for these players that you’re tracking?

VENKATESH: The average player probably looks like an upper-middle-class kid who comes out of college or comes out of high school. And when you follow an upper-middle-class kid for about seven to ten years, they’re probably going to make higher than the median average income. They’re probably going to live in a neighborhood that’s relatively safe. They’re going to have a career. Now, when you take the counterpart among the pool that was drafted, that median kid, that kid looks likes he’s making about twenty to twenty-four thousand dollars a year, which is not a lot of money. He’s working probably five to seven months playing baseball, and then struggling to find part-time work in the off-season. Might be coaching, might be doing some training, might be working on a construction site, might be working in fast food.

HUMPHRIES: “Well, when you’re 25, playing in independent ball, making less than $2,000 a month. Living off your parents because you can’t financially sustain yourself like that. At some point you have to say to yourself — look, with no degree, I had less than an associate degree at that point. So, at some point, you have to tell yourself, “I can’t do this to myself. I can’t do this to my parents. And I can’t continue when I know that there’s untapped potential to do other things.”"

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/sports-ep-3/

USRufnex repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the relevance/context of that story?

11. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    The Athletic article about USL pay.

Paul Berry repped this.
  12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    And more the prevailing attitude that it was a post-collegiate lark. A grown up gap year that players would move on from and resume their regularly scheduled middle class existence.

Paul Berry repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That echoes MLS 10 years ago when the minimum salary was $12,900.

In NWSL the minimum is $15,750.

Anyone who commits to playing a professional sport is taking a gamble.

Most don't make it, whether it's a post-collegiate or an academy player.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on the sport. The NFL doesn't have minor leagues below it. If a player is not drafted or signed as a free agent later, he can try to play Canadian or Arena Football and hope to make the NFL later, or he can give up. It's nothing like baseball where players could play in the minors for five or more years and have to guess if they will ever reach MLB. Austin Bibens-Dirkx played his first minor league game in 2006 and his first MLB game in 2017 at age 32.

15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Expansion Franchise repped this.
  16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THREAD OF THE DAY

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has nothing to do with the topic title, but if Watford finish below seventh, the seventh place club will watch the FA Cup Final knowing they will qualify for the Europa League if Manchester City beats Watford. For Leicester City, they have only competed in Europe once in 18 seasons. For Everton, they used to be a contender for the top six before Manchester City and Tottenham improved to join what was the big four. For Wolverhampton, qualifying for the Europa League in their first season after promotion would be a big accomplishment, and their last European competition was the 1980-1981 UEFA Cup.

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Sure, but what would they think about playing in Chattanooga in a stadium of 4,000 people on a crappy field with no fans? Makes no sense.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  19. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    TROLL.

#ProRelForUSA
    #StandUpForCFC
    #OpenSoccer

Of course, most of the soccer fans who'd love to see some sort of Pro/Rel in this country (we are the majority, NOT YOU or any of the rest of BS's usual suspects) who are actually aware of BigSoccer regard it as little more than an anti-Pro/Rel cesspool.

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One post is a blatant pot shot and shit talking, nothing more.
    One post is links to actual discussion from actual fans directly involved in pro/rel issues.

Yes, one of them does belong under a bridge but sane people won't point to the one that actually delivers points of view and doesn't just wax poetic on a singular person's opinion on things.

Of course, most of the soccer fans who'd love to see some sort of Pro/Rel in this country (the majority of them, NOT YOU or any of the rest of BS's usual pro/rel torch bearing suspects) who are actually aware of YOUR TWITTER/POSTING ON BGSOC regard YOU as little more than a Pro/Rel cesspool.

#DoTheWorkQuitDemandingAHandout
    #BuildSomethingDeservingOfOpeningTheDoorFor
    #Youain'tthemajority
    #Factskillyournarrative
    #Youcan'tdealwithdiscussion
    #TwoAllBeefPattiesSpecialSauceLettuceCheesePicklesOnionsOnASesameSeedBun

kinznk repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped the last sentence.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Wish BS had a "Restraining Order" feature to use on posters like HTTK.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignore list. Use it.

25. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Without reform of net-worth and other PLS requirements from USSF and reform of how expansion fees are charged by USL for admission into "Championship" when compared to "League One," USL is engaging in window dressing. They are putting the cart before the horse. Besides, have you seen any proposals from USL as to how "League Two" teams would be "promoted?"

My theory is that instead of Promotion-only to start out, they'll just continue to take millions more than they should from expansion Championship sides and then allow them after a few years to "self-relegate" and fill League One that way...