The Jozy Shore - Keeping it Villarreal 9/10 in the 18 for Espanyol

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Jozy Shore - Fist pumping our way to the Black Sea

You should have just moved them to the Adu thread....:cool:

2. djedi

djedi New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Don't like it. At the end of the day Jozy doesn't HAVE to go on loan, it's his choice. And I also believe Villarreal is very clearly on a money save here due to their problems, far more so than pure footballing decisions. They are in bad shape & are first & foremost trying to cut costs. While some may point to deals such as marchena, remember that was in conjunction w/ godin. So they swapped quality cb's at a significant net profit (while also hurting a main rival in process).

W/ a few weeks left until deadline, if I were jozy i'd put my head down, lay off the twitter, bust my butt, & do everything I can to prove to his current club & coach that he's worth keeping. He brings so many things which are simply not found in that league. But he needs to prove to his coach that he's dedicated & mature enough to finally be the professional that they invested so heavily in. And guess what? If at the end of the 3+ weeks that isn't enough, Turkey will still be there. & chances are he'll have also gained some needed respect from a coach & club. Sorry but jozy can help this team, mark my word. But first he needs to prove he's committed to busting his socks, EVERY SINGLE DAY. Perserverance & determination in the face of adversity goes a long way in a coach's mind. Ask clint dempsey, or any of our trailblazing yanks abroad from the previous generation.

Please jozy, suck it up, bust your a$$ like never before. Say all the right things, show a killer instinct, & manhandle these guys like we all know you're capable of doing. Listen to your coaches. Pick Rossi's brain after training about what kind of things you can do to improve rather than partying & playing video games at night. He's an invaluable resource, use him. Eat healthy, push yourself, show up early, stay late. Ask questions, then incorporate into your play in training. Coaches take note of these things.

Give them no choice but to keep you. You've been blessed w/ abilities & opportunities that many would kill for. Now is the time to dig down deep & seize the moment like never before. We all love you & know you can do it!

Again, what do you have to lose??

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Jozy Shore - Fist pumping our way to the Black Sea 8/5 Besiktas back on?

if Jozy really does go to Besiktas, I really will regret having bought that Fenerbache jersey last time I was in Turkey.... :eek:

4. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am sure he will appreciate the advice from a cyber-jockie, couch potato.

5. djedi

djedi New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Ouch. Illegal procedure, unecessary roughness, 15 yards...1st down!

I played enough high level sports to wish I would've taken some of my opportunities a little more seriously when I had them. Then again, what young person doesn't act...young at times?

I realize it's impossible to speculate as to what jozy does or doesn't do, & how well or poorly he trains day in day out. And either way I think the way he handles himself at times at such a young age is extremely impressive. But it's hard not to get the "adu" worries a bit as he looks to secure yet another move, greener pastures, etc. All I'm saying is bust your butt for 3 weeks in spain, then let the cards fall where they may. At least then you can say you did what you could & he won't have to look back regretting, wondering if he made the right decision.

6. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Re: The Jozy Shore - Fist pumping our way to the Black Sea 8/5 Besiktas back on?

:p.....buy a Galatasaray jersey ...the classic one: Friedel golie jersey with yellow and red color.....

but, Besiktas Eagle icon jersey is very cool too ,alonside Galatasaray new jersey with Lion icon infront.

regards.

7. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Villarreal get a good draw for the Europa League, and will play FC Dnepr Mogilev. Jozy's other destinations are also listed -- Trabzonspor plays Liverpool, Besiktas has HJK Helsinki.

8. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice thought... but it looks like Jozy is now on the Brasil match squad on call-up after Jones refused his call-up...

Which could mean:

1. He will be going on loan very shortly and the game date works well with that schedule.

2. He isn't going to factor much in fighting for time at Villareal...(or else he'd likely stay and do what you are describing...)

... but who knows...

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Or he thinks being the US #1 forward is the best thing for his career at the moment.

10. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excellent point... a big game against Brasil could certainly improve his perceived value...

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Jozy can run for VP of Haiti.

I hear he and Wyclef are pretty tight. lol

12. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River

He's more qualified for a cabinet position like the Twitter & Facebook Czar

13. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago

how would that change based on this one game? Setting aside that I admittedly think this round of friendlies-- an official FIFA date right at the start of most players' seasons-- is beyond pointless all the way outright Sepp Blatter greed and stupidity, it's just not worth it for anyone looking to secure work to come to this. The longterm benefits of being with your club greatly outweigh those of coming in to say hi to a possibly lame duck national team coach.

14. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

exactly...

which is why he's probably already been told he's way down the totem pole at Villa and why he's playing this match...

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

I have never played soccer professionally, so I can not speak to this specific. But I am in a relatively short-term, very competitive big money contract biz, and the best thing you can do to get your next big contract is have something else to do. It is never, ever good to sit by the table with your plate in hand waiting for scraps. Dunno if that works for Jozy and Villareal, but if I were him I would have to be told directly by staff to skip a chance to play v. Brasil. But again, I'm in a different line of work.

16. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You would think playing against Besiktas, or against Zaragoza next Wednesday, would be important, too -- unless he was told he wouldn't.

That's my guess. They have other guys in mind for those games and the season, and it is better for him to play against Brazil than ride the pino.

17. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't get why he would accept the call up. It would be different if a bunch of guys fighting for spots with a new coach got called in...but this is an exhibition with a capital E.

The part that is even more weird is that his current team is playing against the team that supposedly wants him th most...you would think that he'd be doing triple duty of the practice field showing both teams what he's got...

Obviously there must be more to this than we know...if not it is a poor decision IMHO...I mean look at the choice Jones made to decline his first cap after switching from Germany...

18. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm inclined to give Jozy the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's accepted the call up because the powers that be at Villareal told him he would be better served by playing in the friendly than staying in Spain (for whatever reason).

19. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to think if it was going to be a "bad idea" to accept the call up that he would have been told to not accept by Villarreal, his agent and even Bradley (well he would not have called him up in the first place but you get the point). I'm not sure what to think of this...

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Yeah, this is the mostly likely explanation. If he was told he was starting or looked to figure, I doubt he'd come.

I couldn't even convince myself, ultimately.

21. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008

It's just strange that he'd fly out to Spain for a few days and then turn around and fly back for a friendly. The Jermaine Jones withdrawal was unexpected, but even then you'd think that if he was already back in Spain he'd stay there. This really could have been handled better by the USSF and Schalke.

22. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago

I think it's delusional to think that Jozy is in Villarreal's plans. Full stop. If they were willing to let him fight for a spot, he would have been into camp at the earliest moment that World Cup players came. So back in July. They want to sell him, and if they can't they will loan him to whoever pays more of his salary. He's done there.

23. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

Didn't the coach say he wanted to work with Jozy and they might sell him only for financial reasons? That means if they don't manage to sell him, they will let him fight for a spot.

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

In the meantime, till Jozy is loaned/sold, he has been given squad #12 for the 2010/11 season.
    (#12 was Nilmar's for 2009/10)

25. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FWIW, it seems like Jozy is still in Spain and preparing to play (hopefully) for the Villarreal tomorrow.

Jozy Twitter:
    JozyAltidore17 Chillin today, tenemos un partido manana contra Besiktas. A lil spanglish for yall lol