The Jozy Shore - Keeping it Villarreal 9/10 in the 18 for Espanyol

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    It was reported Jozy had the stomach flu on Friday and didn't practice.

However, looks like he has recovered since he was among the 19 players called for the Sporting game

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the list. I think Jozy has a big chance of making the bench, since he is the only fit backup forward. Of course Garrido can play some of his midfielders in a supporting striker role.

Porteros: Diego López y Juan Carlos.
    Defensas: Musacchio, Joan Oriol, Capdevila, Marchena, Catalá, Gonzalo, Mario y Ángel.
    Centrocampistas: Jefferson Montero, Cani, Santi Cazorla, Borja Valero, Bruno y Matilla.
    Delanteros: Rossi, Nilmar y Altidore.

3. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    technically ronaldo should've scored a hat trick against real murcia a second division team. as long as you score it doesn't matter.

4. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...except ronaldo shits on all of the defenses in the FIRST division. Jozy can hardly get a game there. It was a good goal by Jozy, but nothing special, considering the opponents.

5. agibson

agibson New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Prévessin, France
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore got about 20 minutes against Sporting Gijon (Rossi managed to convert a PK in the 94th minute to draw, Villarreal playing a man down at that point). Not bad!

With Europa League Thursday, Copa del Rey next Wednesday, regular la Liga games on Sundays, and Ruben injured more playing time seem very likely in the near future.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. thrill

thrill New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Looked decent too. Made some strong runs, got involved etc. Never got the ball in a dangerous area, which Gijon did a good job preventing all game long. Villarreal's forwards had to drop deep to receive the ball. Jozy definitely looked like he belonged though.

9. agibson

agibson New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Prévessin, France
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    translation from google

Altidore: "We played a lot in this game"

For its part, the American striker Jozy Altidore, who appeared with Garrison in the media, believes that Villarreal has much to gain and little to lose in this clash. "We played a lot in this game, because if we beat PAOK everything will favor to go round. If we can not win there will be more opportunities, but a win would leave us well positioned to move forward and be leaders of the group. "

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If Altidore had any soccer advisors, he would ask to go to another team/league to at least establish his reputation.

VR is a totally finesse side again - perfect for Rossi and nearly useless for Altidore.

They are not using him to his capabilities and his capabilities ain't what the team resorts to.

He needs to go somewhere where teams play faster and more directly.

VR is probably a lot better off with a Joseba Llorente type, including Joseba Llorente himself.

13. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To establish his reputation? This is perplexing. So Hull City is too physical and long ball in nature, and Villarreal is too finesse and play too much along the ground? Using him to his capabilities? So the capabilities he has at 20 years old are the capabilities he will have for the next 10 years, and he'll never improve or need to develop new aspects of his game? He needs to play faster and more directly? Why so he can develop his speed and fitness? Honestly, I'm trying to find one ounce of merit in this post and am struggling. Help me.

Jozy is an ideal situation at Villarreal. He is proving himself day and and day out in training and in Copa del rey matches at a very shrewd and technical club. By your theory, Jozy needs to hire soccer advisors similar to yourself to ship him to the SPL to play for Dundee United, where he'll develop playing a faster and more direct style of Soccer?

Am I close?

14. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is supposed to make sense how? He is 21-years-old. They can still teach him to play within their system, which is exactly what is happening.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I tend to agree. La Liga requires a certain type of player and while I do think Jozy can hang in La Liga his abilities are better suited towards a different team and/or league. To progress I think he needs a change. It's not a knock on Jozy. There are plenty of quality players who switch leagues because one is not suitable or conducive to their style. Gerrard Pique comes to mind. He looked slow, lumbering and out right horrible in the Premiership. Pique comes home to Spain and he's been nothing short of brilliant first for Real Zaragoza and now Barca. I've always felt Jozy would strive in the Bundesliga. It's not as fast paced or direct as the Premiership but stills maintains extremely high levels of strength, technical and tactical play. The Bundesliga maybe the most well-rounded league and quite frankly Jozy needs to be a well rounded player. He's too one dimensional.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I never said Hull was too physical and direct.

21 already.

Third year in Europe.

He is not developing to expectations.

Different strokes for different folks.

Shaquille O'Neal was never going to have the finesse game of Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Fortunately, no coach asked Shaq to play like Kareem.

VR is asking Altidore to play like Nihat and Nilmar but that's not Altidore's game.

Use all your available brain cells. Even if you use your fingers to count the said brain cells.

Why?

Solely because it's a club in La Liga?

Proving to do what?

VR has a forward shortage, so he's getting emergency PT.

Once they have depth, they won't play him and, unless he goes to Malaga, no one will play the same style as VR.

So, what exactly is he learning?

That's right.

Scoring half a dozen goals, but more importantly starting in very game for Dundee or Kilmarnock will be far more useful for him than sitting on the bench at VR.

Except, he is a poor fit in that system.

And he can't play it like Rossi, Nihat or Nilmar have been playing it anyway.

All those guys are/were small forwards with an impeccable touch, timing, the flow of the game and finishing.

Manuel Pellegrini is a great coach but his system isn't well suited to guys like Altidore or, say, Kevin Davis.

And any hopes that Altidore would turn into even a poor man's version of Gonzo Higuain must be forlorn now.

Jozy's got to be realistic about what can do with his body and his skill set.

Playing in a Latin style soccer with a multitude of short passes isn't his strength any more than Stoke's long/high ball would be for Ronaldinho.

It's as simple as that.

17. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were your expectations for him by this stage in his European career?

How do you know what type of player Villarreal plans on molding Jozy Altidore into? His skillset and soccer brain are still developing. Why are you selling his development short based on the fact that he's 6'1 and built like an ox? Does this mean he should go to a club that focuses less on technique and intelligent build up simply because he doesn't have Rossi's body type? This is absurd and in my opinion incredibly narrowminded.

Who were the last great forwards to transfer from Dundee or Kilmarnock? I'm not being facetious, I simply can't name one.

I don't think Jozy's year at Hull was a waste. He probably learned a great deal from it, but that type of squad is not the type of team I want our most promising players developing at longterm.

I struggle to understand how you can find a problem with our 20 year old maturing Forward progressing at one of the top clubs in arguably the most technical league in the world. His consistent playing time will come when Rossi is finally sold. I push the panic button if by this time in 2012 he's getting the same amount of playing time. Give him time.

18. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    u guys who say he should be developing quicker, dont forget americans are late bloomers. clint demsey is 28/29 he is scoring like he hasnt done before in a season. edson buddle, landon donavan.

jozy is no gareth bale relax

19. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy learned a lot at Hull. His hold up play is immensely better than it was before he went there. But he'll never be a great target forward because he's terrible in the air and is still very uncomfortable with his back to goal. That's why it's better for him to be at Villarreal right now than some donkey SPL team.

Playing on the ground, using his speed, making runs off of similarly sized but slower CBs...that's Jozy's game. One look at his size and strength betrays that, but he's always been that kind of player. Learning better technique, touch and positioning at Villarreal will do more for him as a player than using his physical advantages in another league as a crutch for lack of the above.

He'll have to land a starting job somewhere soon, but getting 20-25 matches at Villarreal is plenty worthwhile at this stage in his career.

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'd like to see jozy go on loan in january. It seems he has learned quite a bit in spain and the coach seems to be fond of jozy now. Let jozy go on a short loan to some team in the netherlands, italy, or even england again. I am positive this time jozy will be more productive.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. I can think of just a few. Kris Boyd ain't great but he is good and is valued and puts the ball in the net consistently and Killie produced him. :)

22. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot duty in a top-5 La Liga club at age 21 is simply unheard of for an American center forward. He's at a higher level club-wise than most of our players, and he's getting on the pitch. He's not starting all the time, but he's obviously in their plans, as they continue to give him looks in key situations.

His only problem right now is his finishing. He's going to continue to get minutes in all competitions and continue to develop. If he can regain his finishing touch, he'll be fine. People panic way too early about our players. Jozy's situation at Villareal is really quite good.

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :rolleyes:

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

People need to sit back and enjoy his development.

25. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Into being the black Kenny Cooper?:p

Joking aside, people want it instant gratification. Jozy is a 'project' in development. He is also on a Champions League caliber side.