The Jozy Shore - Keeping it Villarreal 9/10 in the 18 for Espanyol

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Jozy Shore - Fist pumping our way to the Black Sea

Haunted? What? Do you know how successful Spanish teams have been in Europe this decade?

You can't draw from the specific to the general.

2. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm pretty sure that if I went and created a blog right now and made a post that Jozy was going to some random team in Uzbekistan I'd have more credibility than Goal.com

3. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007

Why would Jozy go to Uzbekistan? Uzbecks hate rap music and futbol tennis.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

i thought jav7 was being sarcastic.

5. dberg077

dberg077 Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX

I really wonder about some of the people commenting on Altidore who think he is not a good player and cannot make an impact for whichever team he is playing for. It seems like many of you only go by the amount of goals scored but don't seem to know as Paul Harvey always said "The Rest of The Story." Altidore is not a Villa, Klose, Maicon level of player just yet, but he is very talented and able to already punish defenses that take him for granted--not that many in the prem took him for granted last year in large part because they saw him score against Spain in the Confeds Cup before the season started--so they always looked out for him.

Even with defenses on the lookout for him, Altidore was DEFINITELY instrumental in setting up a number of goals for Hull City last season. I watched just about every game Jozy played in last season, whether as a starter or coming on as a sub. Jozy was also a FORCE to be reckoned with and too bad Hull City sucked at capitalizing on the attention given to Jozy who opened up space for others on his team.
    TIME AND TIME AGAIN--Many of you FAIL to realize that Altidore alone was responsible for Hull City getting at least 6 or 7 Penalty Kicks--NONE OF WHICH he was allowed to take. Instead, they used Hunt and Geovanni and maybe one other player instead of letting JOZY take the PK's he had earned. Now, if you add say 5-6 Goals onto Jozy's total goal total so he is closer to 6-7 goals for the season---THEN what do you have to say?

How about the opportunities and service Jozy received? Well, it wasn't at the level Klose, Villa, Maicon, and Rooney receive. Not anywhere close. It wasn't even at the level Fulham provides let alone Bolton. Errant passes were the norm and also I noticed many players didn't have the fitness so they tapered off in games and of course 3 subs is not enough for a team like that. Oh, and JVH seemed to be the only player who knew how to get the ball to Jozy.

Was Jozy the best he could be last season? No.
    Does he have room to improve? Definitely!

Hull City had many opportunities in spite of themselves to put games away and they didn't.
    Did Jozy have great coaching there? No.
    The coaching was good, but Phil Brown also needed more time in the Prem to improve his coaching for that level.

Regardless of last season, I think Villarreal are aware of his talents and would like to keep him, but they don't have 2 years to help him develop--although I think they are wrong as Jozy could (with a lot of hard work and determination) become a striker at the Klose and Maicon level and provide Villarreal the power and force they need to take on their La Liga foes, including the big 2 for years to come.

In any case, enough about his Goal Production because if you don't factor in how many PK's and opportunities he creates on the field for his teammates, then you don't watch enough of his games to really understand him. Jozy grew last season for sure. Ask Hull City fans who they were excited to see on the pitch and they will tell you Altidore because they always expected something good would happen.
    I guess it really hit home to me back in April and watching Jozy playing and the camera showed people entering the stadium where Hull City play and seeing a number of fans with Altidore jerseys.

Any team that gets him will be very fortunate but, Jozy must seize the opportunity and hopefully he gets teammates who he can work with better than in his situation last year.
    I am not a homer for Jozy, but he deserves a little more credit than many on BS give him who just look at his 2 goals (one regular season and one league cup game) and think "oh, he didn't do much at all."
    And I also will be watching his upcoming season wherever he ends up--every game I can because he is exciting to watch and will be even better than last year!

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really hope Jozy earns some first team minutes the first half of the season at Villarreal. He's got the goods, just keep working on that touch and technique, kid!

7. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

Good post. I agree with what you are saying about Jozy. But Maicon is a fullback, not a striker. Kinda hurts your argument when throw a defender in there with the likes of Rooney and compare the service that a fullback is getting to the service that Jozy is getting.

8. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

You could of just slimmed that down to Jozy has a lot of potential but hasn't reached it yet. Would have been much easier. His year at Hull was a failure on most accounts... did he receive valuable experience? Sure... was he the force you suggested he was at Hull? No. I watched most matches as well and didn't see the impact you suggest he had everytime he was on the pitch.

A lot of matches he just looked lazy and unsure of himself of what to do in a certain situations (i.e. making good runs... when to shoot). He had opportunities to score more he just didn't have a great finishing touch (his achilles heel right now) Also, if you ask most Hull fans about Jozy you most definitely won't get the response you typed up there... most Hull fans were about Hunt, Bullard last season and at the beginning were excited about Jozy... most of the year he ended up being a useless donkey they rode until the season was over.. he's not the biggest fan favorite there anymore.

That being said... hopefully he improves and gets a chance at Villareal... but I won't hold my breath.

9. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  10. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree with this assessment for the most part, but Jozy was better and more consistent in the second half of the season for Hull by and large... first half of season, he was more aimless at times and inconsistent...

He did get valuable experience and improved his game on a number of fronts.

The goals didn't come however and strikers are supposed to score goals... and earning PKs don't count... Most teams let experienced, veteran ball strikers take PKs... it's nothing unique to Jozy's situation at Hull...

Jozy needs more development and his season last year was not a failure, even if the overall season for Hull was...

At the end of the day - Hull needed a forward to score goals... any forward... and none of the (including Jozy) were able to do it... Collectively, the team just wasn't good enough top stay up in the Prem... Jozy was part of that club failure and as far as the Club is concerned, I wouldn't rate him highly either - even though I'd rate his development there good on a personal basis...

He was a young player that struggled and (on a number of occasions) held his own with some of the best defenders in the game... and he improved other areas of his game in the process even if the goals didn't materialize. On a personal level, the loan was a success for him... He just needs to keep developing and improving as the work-in-progress he is...

11. gabbar

gabbar New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
  12. EmanuelVA

EmanuelVA Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. gabbar

gabbar New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

I expected him not to leave, looks like he wants to go and impress his coach. Just as others have declined to be called up like Dempsey.

15. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  16. dberg077

dberg077 Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX

I agree that the experienced player on a team gets to take the PK's, but I still think if you were a manager for any team you would make sure to take that into account because it is one way in which Jozy creates chances--ones that usually are converted into goals. It also means he was past the defense on those occasions except one where he was given the call and that should also speak to what he can offer to the team who picks him up.

I think Turkey could be good in the sense that he can take a few years to really hone his skills and put himself in a position to get the call from some of the middle to upper prem teams.

I know my previous post was a little long winded, but it had been a bit overdue while listening to people who just go off goals scored and didn't see him play in all the games when he started (later in the season) and subbed (earlier in the season).

Also, if Hull had stayed up I doubt this thread would ever have come about as they would have kept Jozy more than likely--but that we will never know now.

17. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not being called up for the Brazil match is no big deal.

I know this is the thread's first day, but I definitely hope the mods keep updating the thread title.

18. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Jozy stated that he would have liked another season at Hull but the financial situation didn't allow it.
    A season in the NpC (it's not the CCC any more) would, imo, have done Jozy no harm and could well have boosted his morale and ability whether with Hull or another team.

19. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't fault the kid for wanting to compete at the highest level.

20. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Rumour had it here that Jozy, who was living close to Leeds during his stay at Hull, had struck up a 'more than just friendly' relationship with a 'more than just attractive' young lady from Leeds. Maybe that was another reason why he wished to stay.

21. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pics?

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Ahhhh kids. The 'Vajeen' will do that.

With enough money he can fly her out to turkey.

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

This is incredibly true, rep.

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

Rep.

25. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

You jump, too quickly, to the wrong conclusion you Yanks. The young lady in question was reported to be an American student studying at Leeds University.
    No official pictures were ever released.