The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not just idiots; it is astonishingly easy to get out to the car and then discover something in or on the bottom part of the cart which never got rung up. The checker or the bagger would have spotted it, but the self check out register is half blind and doesn't care anyway. Inadvertent theft is surely almost as common as intentional.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Self-checkout theft has been a known problem for a long time. I use theft in the legal sense here, as sometimes people will forget for scan an item or mis-scan an item (this occurs often with produce). Sometimes it is deliberate, which is why some places have a scale where one puts the groceries, though not at Walmart or Target. One thing I have also noted at some Walmarts is that they are putting gates at the entrance to prevent people just walking out with stolen goods.

I'm not sure about relative pay at Walmart, but I do know they used to pay the on-line order preparers more as a result of the pandemic. But recently they lowered the starting pay for that department, specifically.

I actually prefer the self-checkout as I bring my own bags and fill them more concisely than a cashier (and I generally am fairly quick, though I don't have the produce codes memorized). And I'll wait for the slower people in front of me so I don't have to have the personal interaction with the cashier.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I've had the opposite happen to me plenty, where I have left stuff in the checkout and didn't realize until I unpacked at home.

Sounders78, soccernutter and Mike03 repped this.
  4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And from people who left cities in the 70s and 80s but haven't been back.

I mentioned this before, but I have a relative who lived in NYC from 1998 to 2013. He was hesitant about taking his kids to NY because of crime (In 2022). I had to point out to him that he grew up in 70s and 80s Detroit and takes his kids there no problem. Or point out the infamous Average White Band incident*, something that is unheard of today.

Cities in general are not what they were. Hell, every time I go to Detroit I keep seeing more signs of positive changes.

*: For those that don't know, a gang known as the Errol Flynns (On brand for Detroit) raided an Average White Band show at an arena in Detroit and proceeded to beat and do much worse to concertgoers.

5. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My local Kroger has me so annoyed that I try to go to Meijer's when I can. Only time I go to Kroger now is for the sushi.

The biggest annoyance is that it's situated in a spot that converges with several towns, is near I-75, and yet they don't have much open when it comes to registers or self checkouts.

Gone there at 9 P.M. and there's a line at the self checkout to the back of the store. It's ridiculous.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is why I keep my receipt for a couple of days now!

Usually they put the item to one side for me

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently had a senior moment and put stuff in a bag without scanning anything. Fortunately there was a nice young lady who followed me out so reminded me I had to pay.
    They only tend to call cops on repeat offenders.

8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I've done that many times.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done that a couple times when listening to some podcast.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough, this video popped up in my tiktok FYP today.

it noted that while there are whole groups dedicated to stealing from stores in the self-checkout, the bigger issue is people forgetting to scan, mis-scanning, punching in the wrong thing, etc.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT85t83Kf/

Deadtigers, soccernutter and taosjohn repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to have a habit of leaving stuff at airport security and remembering after I got on the plane.

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Another complex activity that is best left to the professionals.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In general, people develop an irrational fear of crime as they get older. I think back to all the times when I was young and would be staggering around town drunk and aimless, without the slightest worry of crime (not even days later in hindsight). Now, I don't even like to wear noise cancelling headphones at night because it makes me feel like a sitting duck.

That said, its not just "cities". Older people will write off entire countries because of crime.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It's such a weird phenomenon.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Especially since young people are much more likely to be victims of crime.

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think young people are more likely to put themselves "out there" in a situation where they might become a crime victim.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I had this debate with family and friends about the supposed increased dangers in my home town so we looked up the official stats and it is much safer than in the 80s when we used to get around after dark with no phones and no one had any idea where we were

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the opposite. I walk anywhere.

19. GalaxyBowl

GalaxyBowl Member

LA Galaxy
    Aug 21, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's probably because usually the older you get, the more you have to lose (house, kids, etc.)

Deadtigers and BocaFan repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Sheesh!

How hard is it to grasp that anyone is physically conscious that, at 72, we are no longer a match for most random bad guys, no matter how confident we felt even 10 years ago. It is vulnerability, not likelihood that make us think about how to avoid it. Especially since we can feel that in 10 more years we will be even slower, weaker, and shakier...

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    We are a gun society. We are basically all equally vulnerable.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That doesn't explain why old people would also encourage their kids and grandkids to take over-the-top precautions including simply avoid going to certain entire countries LOL

Fewer years to lose though, especially fun ones.

Deadtigers and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  23. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's not really an age thing though and that argument is a myth. The whole crime thing comes from people whose experience of cities was in the 1970s and 1980s. A time that was not that great given the horror stories I've heard. People forget that cities in the 70s especially weren't the best places to be, look at NYC's census for 1980, it's drastic. Detroit's too. Lot of family members left Detroit because of crime. To put it in perspective, there's a spot right on the border of Detroit/Ferndale where my dad was robbed at gunpoint. Now? It's where rich gay people and arty types live.

And wearing headphones in public is something one shouldn't be doing. That's just common sense. Or as my track coach would tell us, "I cannot tell you how many times people jump when they wear headphones and I run past them."

luftmensch and Deadtigers repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's pretty much just a Yank phenomenon. Even if you just jump across the border from Detroit it wasn't like that at all. For e.g. Toronto's murder rate hardly changed at all in the past 50 years. In fact, it was slightly lower in the 1980s than it was in the first two decades of this century.

Deadtigers and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    If I have stolen something it was more than likely I was in a hurry and didn't scan it, thinking I did. Usually there is a long line at self-checkout and people are in a rush, causing me to rush.

I can't remember where I saw it, but some comedian said something along the lines of "of course more items are being stolen, you try spelling radicchio. It's easier to steal it." NGL, there have been times where I didn't buy something because they are difficult to scan.