The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also higher property taxes on homes beyond the first, which could be waived if it’s being rented to a full-time tenant (rather than vacation rental or Air bnb).

We actually benefited from the current market recently, my dad’s condo in Alhambra sold for over $500k, and the buyer paid cash (my dad paid just under $100k in around 1987). The price was low enough and rents in the area high enough that investors will still bite.

Meanwhile the house we moved out of several months ago because the owner wanted to sell has sat on the market for a few months, started out at $800k and they’ve dropped to $740k as of now. It’s too much with the high interest rates for an investor or first time home buyer but isn’t nice enough for somebody who can more easily afford it (partially because they never updated much and would always replace things as cheaply as possible). If they’d sold a couple years ago it would’ve been a completely different situation.

soccernutter repped this.
  2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    We bought our 9 rm center hall colonial with 4 acres in '69 for $18k. added 20 acres 10 yrs later for $13k. Sold it 3 yrs ago. :whistling:

Sounders78, dapip, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You are my favorite poster! So charming and witty. Handsome too! :inlove:

Naughtius Maximus and roby repped this.
  4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hard to say, but I legit think workers standing up for themselves like the unions have been doing recently would help.

A culture of worshiping sharesholders and CEOs for the last 43 years hasn't exactly helped.

luftmensch, bigredfutbol, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    my grandad bought his land in the 1950s for 60 quid.

it had no services at that time. He dug a well and built the house.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which century? ;)

dapip repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't be silly. Any land roby got in the 19th century was under the Homestead Act and thus he paid nothing. :p

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of inexpensive property...my grandfather was a doctor, both before and after he moved to Florida. This was right when Disney was building and getting ready to open. Somebody offered my grandfather multiple acres of land (at least 20) for a dollar an acre. He could have easily afforded it, but turned it down. He was a shaped strongly by the depression and thought it was a risky investment.

Unbelievable.

luftmensch repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the president only has a marginal impact on the economy, but to the extent Biden’s policies matter, they’re working.

upload_2023-12-1_16-47-28.png

Naughtius Maximus and ImNumberTen repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I've heard that many people are saying that! :whistling:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly Biden, but Harris.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/05/harris-votes-senate-history/ (sorry for the paywall)

Vice President Harris casts record-setting vote in Senate

Her 32nd tiebreaking vote on the Hill breaks a mark that stood for almost 200 years

Vice President Harris on Tuesday cast her 32nd tiebreaking vote to confirm Loren L. AliKhan to be a U.S. district judge for the District of Columbia — making history with the most deciding votes in the chamber by a vice president.

Harris tied Calhoun’s record in July with a tiebreaking vote to add employment attorney Kalpana Kotagal to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Tuesday’s vote on AliKhan’s nomination stalled at 50-50, with Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) voting with Republicans. In the closely divided Senate — Democrats and the three independents who caucus with them hold 51 seats, while Republicans hold 49 — Harris has been called to the Capitol to break deadlocks on matters including key legislation, Biden nominations and routine procedural moves. Legislation that was advanced with the help of Harris’s tiebreaking vote has included the Inflation Reduction Act and the American Rescue Plan Act.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Congrats everyone

shoplifting.jpg

superdave, Mike03, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically there was a spike in crime during Covid. NYC is not the cess pit it was in the 1980s. But certain outlets keep purveying the myth.

Walmart moved to self checkouts. Idiots decided they didn't have to pay, or didn't have to pay for everything, or could swap bar codes. Walmart is getting rid of self checkouts.

Deadtigers, deejay and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or old people, or stupid people doesn't know how a bar code works. The Walmart in our area, which is chronically understaffed, has switched mostly to self-checkout (only 2 or 3 human cashiers at any given time) and the lines can get extremely long, and you can always spot several people struggling with self-checkout for multiple reasons.

As a sign of the upcoming times, last week I spotted several employees fulfilling online orders; not sure how it works out compared with having dedicated cashiers, but I assume that they get better pay than the regular cashiers. Oddly enough, there was an old lady checking your receipt at the exit, something that they had got rid off during the last few years.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's reasonably easy to make a mistake on self checkout.

For e.g. I scanned a product at the shelf, but then at checkout discovered it was not in the list. I am 100% sure i scanned it because i was suprised at the discount displayed. Maybe i deleted it on the touch screen by accident. Also possible to scan the wrong item with produce.

16. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    If only all of the stores had at least similar procedures for using their checkouts.:confused:

taosjohn and dapip repped this.
  17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Unless someone in line has a big full cart, use the human cashier. I have no problem doing self-checkout but I guarantee that the human cashier who does the job 4-8 hours a day does it faster and better than me or more important better and faster than those in front of me in a self-checkout line.

Deadtigers, taosjohn, roby and 3 others repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    UNLESS.... At our local Kroger, the pay is so shit that I think they rotate staff so frequently that half the time the cashier is worse than I am.

luftmensch, Deadtigers and Paul Berry repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's my policy as well, but if I have 2 or 3 things, I go to the self-checkout.

Unfortunately in many places self-service is becoming the default option, and you can see long lines everywhere, and the human clerk lines specially busy with big carts.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There was a piece on the John Oliver show about the dollar stores and how shitty a place to work they are... Low pay, understaffed, management that doesn't care about safety or welfare... I'd say that increasingly that's the case for a plurality of stores, and with better pay and conditions everywhere else, well... good luck trying to get a fast checkout...

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I find that hard to believe! :ninja:

chaski and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We go on Saturday morning when the store is pretty uncrowded. 90% of the time we use self checkout so I can fill the bags in a way that makes it quicker to put up when we get home. And most of the time, even though we have a pretty full cart, there's only one or two other stations in use, so I don't feel too bad about it.

There are a couple of check out people who are faster than I am and who will know the PLU codes for the stuff we're buying, so when one of them are working on a Saturday morning, I might give them something to do.

23. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    As a policy I usually go to unionized grocery stores.

fatbastard, Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    OK fine. Not any better than me?

roby repped this.
  25. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They have the best prawns there!