The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I remember someone trolling about this when Butteremails started that she never read/sent out her own emails or scheduled her own meetings. Sheeeeeeit, once you start approaching the Line Office/Undersecretary of an agency territory, you need a staffer.

I worked in close proximity to a Line Office UnderSecretary of NOAA. Their schedules are booked 4-5 months in advance and quite often triple/double booked for meetings. I've seen their handlers with 3 or 4 phones and opening up emails while the unread count was easily in the thousands. And NOAA, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty insignificant.

I cannot imagine what POTUS handlers go through on a light week. Or Trump on "Executive Time"

luftmensch, Dr. Wankler, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biden is considering a mutual defense treaty with the Saudis.

That seems like a terrible, terrible idea for many reasons. Like, human rights. Like, MBS is on Team Trump so ******** him for that too. Like, who exactly might invade Saudi Arabia? Like, they’re the ********ing Saudis, they’re not one of our friends.

I believe the biggest geopolitical issue today is fascism vs. not fascism. The Saudis are on the wrong side of that issue.

luftmensch, Deadtigers, Mike03 and 4 others repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The enemy of our enemy is our friend. Saudi Arabia provided a counterweight to Iran. Also, along with the mutual defense agreement comes an agreement between Israel and Saudi Arabia to recognize Israel and for the Saudis to stop funding militant groups that target Israel…

While not ideal for the reasons you mention, it does lower the tension in the Middle East with regards to Israel.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bribe for the Saudis to normalize relations with Israel.

I agree with you, a bad idea.

charlie15 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not comfortable at all with this either. I failed to see what is the interest to cozy to the ********ing Saudis!

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biden announced he will be in Detroit Tuesday to support the UAW strike.

7. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senate treaty approval hearings should be fun. Can’t wait to hear Tuberville’s thoughts, for one reason, and Josh Hawley’s thoughts for a completely different reason.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It needs to be pointed out how huge this is given that I don't even FDR would've done such a thing.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good move. That support will be excellent working for both the UAW and for Joe.

10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Biggest middle finger to Reaganism that I can think of. Especially given that no President has been in a picket line.

My coal mining Union great-great-grandparents would be happy.

charlie15, bigredfutbol and soccernutter repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's ironic how the pendulum has swung on union workers. Now the GOP has gone populist, at least in rhetoric, it not only won't criticize Joe for that (at least not severely), but its main Presidential candidate will try to argue that he in fact is the auto union's best friend.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    did Trump say he was going to visit the strike instead of the GOP debate… and is that why Biden decided to ‘walk the line’?

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Don't know about Trump and the debate, but yeah Trump cozying up to the auto workers motivated Biden. He doesn't want a Republican acting more pro-union than the Dem candidate.

Deadtigers, ChrisSSBB and marek repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Saudi Arabia, one might also consider that they are intentionally lowering the production of oil, which is having an effect on gas prices. This might be a way to get production up, and gas prices down, just in time for the election.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard some discussion on the various pods I listen to as to which union people Trump will meet, as they petty much hate him.

16. AKramer1983

AKramer1983 Red Card

Lazio
    Italy
    Apr 4, 2022
    I'm new around here too, but I'm already loving the atmosphere of this forum. It's great to see people discussing real-life topics like the Joe Biden Presidency and the UAW strike. And it's pretty awesome that Biden is showing support for the workers in Detroit, don't you think? It's definitely a step in the right political social network direction.

charlie15 repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    His Klanwear is made in GINA tho

Mike03 repped this.
  18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump got 42% of union voters in 2020. UAW leadership hates him. Rank and file should, but are pretty divided.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Many fit the description of MAGA cult members. Upper Midwest white guys who own guns and hate big cities.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Lazio? Isn't your club the MAGA team? (Or maybe I just having been listening to Roma supporters.)

Dr. Wankler and charlie15 repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure this guys location is Spamalot.

22. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    A run down from a couple of sources

“The UAW warned Donald Trumpthat he shouldn't come to Michigan to speak to the members who are on strike. He ignored them and intended to host a rally anyway,” the Washington Post reported Monday.

"Biden comes at the invitation of union leaders, the report began. "Trump came despite their warnings to keep his distance. Biden has touted a record as a 'pro union' president while at times struggling to maintain the support of rank-and-file members. Trump calls himself 'pro worker' while at times clashing with union leadership and implementing policies as president that worked against their interests. And while Biden is joining a picket line of union members, Trump’s remarks will be given at a non-union shop."

Trump attacked the union workers last week when he spoke with NBC's "Meet the Press."

“The auto workers will not have any jobs, Kristen, because all of these cars are going to be made in China. The electric cars, automatically, are going to be made in China,” Trump told Kristen Welker.

They have two very different strategies, and they both really need the autoworkers in these states like Michigan,” Kate Bronfenbrenner, director of labor education research at Cornell University told The Washington Post in an interview. “Biden is taking this very unusual position for a president in saying the company has made enough profits and can afford to give the workers more, whereas Trump is attacking the unions and trying to create a specter of fear about the green transition.”

Trump also has an anti-union record both as a president and as a developer.

The former president believes electric cars are automatically made in China, ignoring that Joe Biden's infrastructure package and the Inflation Reduction Act required that for the $7,500 tax credit to be applicable the cars must meet requirements for U.S. assembly and materials.

According to Trump, workers should support him because
    "I will make you rich!"

soccernutter, Deadtigers, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    As long as BB and the fascists run Israel, what does it matter. Maybe stop allowing an apartheid state that violates human rights and human policies regarding the treatment of its citizens run wild and maybe that will lower the temperature in regards to Israel too.

soccernutter and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Our relationship with Saudi Arabia is like being in charge of purchasing and the vendor that is nice to you and gives you guys the best rates and packages also happens to have a wife dying of breast cancer and is banging his secretary who's half his age.

It's morally repugnant how to operate but you have to remove yourself from that and think about how you so they are to you and your citizens and geo political dynamics.

25. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Trump saying he was going to go see the striking UAW workers instead of the GOP debate on Wed is what spurred Biden to do the same

Biden thinking he will outsmart Trump will go to the strike a day earlier, today, Tuesday
    Biden will visit under the auspices of the UAW leadership, and will most likely meet with the rank and file under their guidance and protection, trying not to trip all the while
    https://www.axios.com/2023/09/26/biden-trip-2024-campaign-sneakers

Trump has been warned by the UAW leadership not to come
    I’m curious what Trump will do, what Trumpian stunt is he gonna pull to bypass the UAW leadership and to meet with the rank and file
    curious to see if it will work, or if it’s gonna be Trump that trips up