The Joe Biden Presidency I :: Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehhh. The bigger issue there is that worldometer only has confirmed cases and the US had a much worse testing regime than other countries. So claiming the US did a better job preventing infections isn't necessarily accurate. You can't count what you don't detect.

However, that doesn't mean the US didn't have a higher hospitalization and death rate per infections. Americans are also in poorer health than a lot of Western European countries.

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Worldometers is tough, because it only relies on the numbers reported. There’s no standardization. Hell, states within the US reported differently, Florida being an outlier for sure. It’s okay to track changes in the same country over time.

I had a long post about this when our dear CA firefighter friend was shitposting about how Covid was a lie! A lie I tell you!!!!!

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I typically look at the difference between expected deaths and actual deaths as the best indicator (this is usually the best way of looking at pandemics). The central estimate cumulative difference for the US is over 1.35 million deaths, for Canada it is about 60,000. So our excess death rate was more than 20x higher than Canada's, even though our population is less than 10x bigger than Canada. In other words, the US did a crappy job.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And no big learning loss in Sweden.

5. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re correct.

I look forward to the next presidential campaign to center on a Platonic search for Truth.

marek and Chesco United repped this.
  6. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, not so much.

Biden deserves some credit for job growth because he was determined not to repeat the Obama mistake(s). Obama’s stimulus coming out of the Great Recession wasn’t big enough, and he also erred in assuming that he should aim low (out of inflation fears) and count on Republican patriotism to increase the stimulus if necessary. Biden said ******** it, if we overshoot a bit, fine, we’ll have a couple extra points of inflation for 2 quarters but at least I’m not counting on Republican patriotism if we need to adjust to the end of a once a century event.

Biden really has been astonishingly effective. He’s surprised the hell out of me.

Minnman, Deadtigers, charlie15 and 3 others repped this.
  7. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d call it literally true, which is more than you can say for about 10,000 things Trump said during his own presidency.

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This, I've had some complaints (Mainly about messaging, especially with Dobbs, but that's a Dem thing) but he's been effective. Especially with a Senate that has one person always going gosheroni and another that wishes she was doing peyote in Sedona while crying about Cobain.

A lot of this will be noticed years later. But Biden's also been the most leftwing President in my lifetime. He's put in the most union friendly NLRB, he's helped work with unions (And is siding with UAW), and he's also done what he can with student loan debt.

Minnman, dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Might I just note that I've been (mostly) on strike for close to four months and your union friendly president hasn't done jack or shit about it other than two sentences of moral support in July.

Chesco United repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How do you go mostly on strike?

charlie15, BocaFan, Kazuma and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It's kinda complicated. But some film/tv productions are non-union and others are union. I won't work on any union job as I would consider that to be crossing a (virtual) picket line.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Michigan is a swing state too.

Bigger picture wise, this is a huge issue that's even gotten the mainstream media's attention (would get more if the media weren't so obsessed with that fish storm out in the Atlantic right now) and could be a potential inflection point in the income inequality trend. Biden could be saying more on it. Seems like a winning issue to get behind.

13. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you suggest he should or could do? Sincere question.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Your memory is failing you on the stimulus from Obama's time. Obama proposed a huge, and probably adequate one. Congress wanted to do the absolutely necessary first and see how that went, do another later.

The first one was in fact inadequate, and leadership, including Obama, asked for the "second half" but Congress declined to do it at all-- Congress being essentially controlled, by this time, by the Republicans and a handful of Blue Dogs whose arithmetic was poor, or maybe their patriotism...

Obama warned everybody repeatedly that the initial stimulus was grossly inadequate.

dapip, Deadtigers and luftmensch repped this.
  15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Michigan was only red once in the last 30 years and that was 2016. Before that, 1988.

And the income inequality issue has been slowly but steadily growing. Bernie Sanders's and Warren's popularity is evidence of that. Along with the GFC impacting a lot of Millennials.

soccernutter, Chesco United and dapip repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But was very close race in 2020. So, both elections involving Trump, Michigan has been very much in play.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Biden or Obama his stringpuller? :cautious:

- Wingnuttia

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, different unions, right? From what I found out last week when Drew Barrymore announced her show was coming back, there is a different writer’s union for news shows.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He came out for union members today, didn't he?

He's probably not gonna mess with the writers strike since CA & NY are his.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, yeah. How's the food?

marek and roby repped this.
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Ideally, guillotines. Short of that, mentioning it in public more than once every couple of months would be nice. I have no idea what kind of backroom pressure the admin could apply, but surely mentioning that none of these corporations have paid a penny in US taxes probably wouldn't hurt.

Capt.Tsubasa and Deadtigers repped this.
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, no it wasn't. It took a fairly long time for all the votes to come in, but Biden won it by 2.73%, which is not especially close.

Again, you support the Trump-- Reep Big Lie when you say comfortable wins were tight. Biden won the election by 30 plus electoral votes-- the result was not close and was clear. Give Trump all the states that actually were close-- and he still loses.

We all need to stop giving credence to the Big Lie because the bogeyman scares us; he scored more votes than any other candidate in history-- except Joe Biden, who beat him by a good big margin, both in votes and in electors.

That's what is pathetic about the Georgia phone call-- even if it had fallen on fertile ears, those 12000 "found" votes would not have made any real difference.

soccernutter, luftmensch and Phillyspur repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    2.7% difference == Still a blowout objectively speaking, even though Obama won Michigan by 17%. Ok o_O

Anyway, all I said was that Michigan is a swing state (a fact) and you went from that to I support the Trump Big Lie. Holy crap! Ironically, its this sort of arrogance that turns blue states into swing states.

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Her f--king name is Big Gretch! Get it right!

soccernutter repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana