The iPhone Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dark knight, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    The No kia thing is related to a particularly persistent spammer. It's temporary.

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dark...

Hard to convince others when I first have to convince myself! I think you should wait a short while, at least until Cupertino straightens the bugs out of the first release of iPhones, at least that's what I plan to do... you are not buying an ipod, or a telephone, or a movie player, or a web browser, but all of those in a very small package which is very expensive and prone to both theft and/or loss. However, the odds for something being overlooked by Apple in initial release package are great methinks. You ever buy one of those all-in-one televisions with built-in video or DVD recorder and stereo? You know how when something breaks down the whole unit is unservicable? That's what you may face with the iPhone. You may also wish to investigate the telephone contract you 'll have to sign with mobile carrier and its cost. Also, by combining all these media technologies in one small unit, you have a nifty gadget but that nifty gadget will get a lot of use. Potential for damage due to greater use of a single gizmo (as opposed to a few other seperate gizmos) is great too. Not sure I talked you out of it (cost alone is a high barrier) but I would nonetheless wait until all the kinks are worked out of it! Besides, the lines at Apple stores the day before these iPhones will be released in late June will be so long.....

3. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Thanks - to be honest I'm not all that concerned about Bugs. But I do think the lines to get them may be the biggest deterrent. I also need to check and see what the penalty will be if I opt out of my current contract.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm going to hold out for the first speed-bump instead of making the effort to get one immediately. Probably six months from now there will be a slightly newer model with improved something-or-other. I can live with my current phone for that long.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ONLY thing stopping me from picking this up now is the data package they're pushing on people. I'm not going to pay an extra $35 a month so I can have internet access and check me emails.

I'll probably use the money I have saved for it to pay some bills or blow on hookers and coke :shrugs:

6. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Do they insist you buy a data package? You won't need At&t's data if you use WI-FI. And like I said before, if you do use At&t's data plan it will be "edge" and be super slow. You'd get like 20 times faster web surfing on something the Samsung Blackjack.

By the way, the supposed newest "Ipod Killer" is the LG Prada which is coming out for Verizon.
    http://www.pradaphonebylg.com/

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

No thank you.

8. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Wow.... that prada one... would be great if it didn't have PRADA on it.

That, and I didn't need my browser to be assaulted by not only a popup or three, but a FULL SCREEN one. Bastards.

9. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere that they will turn off the Wi Fi part unless you purchase the data plan. If so that's f'd up.

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  13. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed your post ;)

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see the iPhone being worth the price. It's cool, and I wouldn't mind having one. But no way in hell would I pay that much for it.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding this all up shows a pricey "must have" gadget that has little storage space!

From CNN article..."The $59.99 monthly plan includes 450 minutes of voice time; a $79.99 plan includes 900 minutes; and a $99.99 plan includes 1,350 minutes. All three offer 200 text messages, unlimited data services, minutes that roll over month-to-month and mobile-to-mobile calls. There also is a $36 activation fee."

$499.00 + $59.99 (least expensive plan) + 36.00 (activation fee) + tax...?Approx. $600+ for 4GB device? My iTunes library is five times that size! Apple may have overpriced the iPhone and undersized it, even the base model!

17. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    IIRC, isn't the case that even if you pay the iPhone at retail price you still are bound to a 2 yr contract? :confused:

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm okay with the size - I have over 40 gig of music so it's a matter of managing it like I do with my Shuffle - but it's the monthly price that may deter me for a long time. $720 annually? That's almost car insurance!

I'm sure that will be the case.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  21. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Based on the articles, I'll wait until the hype dies down.

From the USA Today review:

Coverage aside, if you are going to charge $600 (the price of a decent laptop), then it should have those features.

Who does? You don't need an iPhone for that.

There are positives sideds to this phone and one of them is the "look". But. I am not convinced yet.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

That's funny - because those reviews got me wanting one again and trying to figure out if I can swing the price! :)

23. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I do have some "prejudice" against AT&T. I have no problem with their DSL and phone service. But. AT&T, nee Cingular, cell phone service was really bland for me. Aside that, price and that 2 yr contract even if you buy it outright. Eeeck!

24. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I just skimmed it - but bobolito seems to get it.