The Importance of Kik Pierie

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Eleven Bravo, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    For those who don’t know... Kik Pierie is a Dutch dual-national who seems to prefer the Netherlands over the US, however he has said that he’s open for the US and his path to the Dutch team is very slim - even with Van Dijk out injured. So, we should believe we’re in the running here.

What makes Piere so interesting is that he can play center back, or left back in a pinch. We need both. Obviously, we know that we need left back cover. As of now, there’s no one behind Antonee Robinson who is an international level player. We have some prospects in Vines and Bello (maybe a couple others), but they have a long ways to go to be considered trusty national team players. Meanwhile, we do seem to have a lot of depth at center back, but I should stress it’s good-not-great talent. Also, there is a drop off in center back talent once we get into the 2000s birth year. We should be okay this World Cup. We will probably be about the same next World Cup. But it looks barren after that. Sure, someone can emerge in 8 years time. But, look what happened to the goalkeeper situation... we said - don’t worry about it... the US always produces quality goalkeepers... and now, goalkeeper is the weakest position in the USMNT. As a lesson, we must stay on the forefront of ensuring our player pool is solid. Besides, we should be hopeful in 2026 with a center back duo in Kik Piere (Ajax) and Chris Richards (Bayern Munich) - both very promising central defenders.

Also, we need to look at the quality of the player. Piere struggled last year, after having a breakthrough year the year before. As a result, a lot of fans have written him off... which seems now very premature. Piere is having a best XI season on loan at FC Twente. And we can imagine that Ajax is going to want to have him back next year.

As far as playing style - the impression I have is someone who’s a sort of cross between Carlos Bocanegra and Tim Ream. He’s a good player out the back, he sees the game well, and he’s good at shutting down the channels - like Ream. Like Bocanegra, I imagine that’s his ceiling. But unlike Bocanegra, he’s a little less physically gifted and instead plays more technical like Ream. In either case, he’s like both in that he’s a good leader and center back is his primary position. But he can adequately fill in at left back if needed.

Simply, we would really boost our defense with someone like Piere in the squad. We should hope that Berhalter and Stewart are using their Dutch-American connections and aggressively pursuing this kid.

Now, if he doesn’t want to play for us. Or, he’s going to jerk us around until right up before the World Cup. Then okay. We should move on. In the mean time, I want to see our staff trying hard to get him to represent the red, white, and blue, as soon as possible. He is arguably the most important dual-national prospect we have.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/u...erie-usmnt-usa-twente-ajax-netherlands-oranje

um_chili and largegarlic repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg needs to interrogate Kik to find out more about his parents...

xtomx and TarHeels17 repped this.
  3. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Although this is just a rumor I have no doubt Greg and Co have talked to Kik already, it could just be Kik is a Toljan type and it’s either play for his home country or bust

TarHeels17 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Kik made some rather flippant remarks about the US and the prospects of his playing for the US. Best to skip. Would rather have a sociopath than a wishy-washy mf in the team.

ttrevett, adam tash and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What comments?

6. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    . I’d take him in the pool, of course, but he’s not as good as McKenzie. He also has no shot at playing for the Dutch.

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we need a link of his comments pro/con

i dont think its all that dire one way or the other

okoh apparently would be a big get though

8. Orioles Magic

Orioles Magic Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 30, 2020
    Does Dest know him at all? Perhaps Dest could help recruit him a little bit.

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Vines looked excellent today and it looks like he could do well in Europe if given the chance

Three and Three repped this.
  10. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like Kik has agreed to do an interview for a small USMNT centered YouTube channel, we should get some insight on his national team aspirations when the interview comes out

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great! Looking forward to that with all the players involved too. When’s the video coming out?

12. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1358796742800650243 is not a valid tweet id

NietzscheIsDead and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, what a tease

14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He has something. I’m interested for sure. Not sure about a top European league until he gains weight, but I could easily see him in Mexico until then.

He’s on track for the olympics and one of the tournaments this year.

15. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Still undecided, hopes to play in MLS one day

sakibomb523 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Biggest revelation to me was learning how to properly pronounce his name.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice!!

Seems optimistic that we could snag him. But we’ll see. Love that he could be an option at center back or left back.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yah, for that team in Boston, um, what are they called, hmm.... That sounded a little, um, self-serving and pulled out of his nether regions to me.

I have no ill will towards the guy, but his connection to the US is literally his birth certificate. I wish FIFA would change this rule somehow so that issues like the potential of this guy suiting up for the US was not even an option. I won't begrudge him the opportunity if he does choose to rep the US, but you can tell it won't be his choice because he would rather play for us and not the Dutch, but knowing that he would not be called by the Dutch and therefore would have no choice to play internationally aside from the US. I understand the beneficial nature of this rule to the USMNT in the past, but I still just don't agree with it. I don't know what the rule should be, but it just doesn't sit well with me, this rule. I'll quit moaning about it.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The new post-Brexit British work permit rules make getting caps with the US an attractive option for those in mid-tier leagues.

superdave and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  20. WVRevy

WVRevy New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean...is anybody else just tired of being every player's safety school?

I get it. We need CB and LB depth, and Kik would satisfy both. But in all honesty, if he's only coming to the USMNT because he wasn't good enough to break into "his" country's national team, then...well...sorry, but I'm not interested. I want guys that want to bleed for that shirt, not guys that accept it only because "their" country didn't actually want them.

majspike and ttrevett repped this.
  21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See post #18. The rules are the rules but I agree with you. I just wish the rules were much more narrow somehow so that it was not someone's choice for whom to suit up. You meet these criteria, you play for this team or not at all. While I know that sounds harsh, what is done now just makes people question the player's motives, and it some instances, rightly so.

22. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Do you feel the same way about Dest? What about Musah?

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%. Did you read my post? I don’t begrudge any of these guys for taking advantage of the current rules I just wish there was only one option for players. A player should be eligible for one team only from birth. Again I have no idea how they should determine that but guys being able to just choose for whom they will play based on what is expedient to themselves is just less than optimal to me as a fan. I’m a fan of the US. I have a really hard time rooting whole heartedly for a team partially made up of guys who or playing for their second choice.

I think Berhalter may be doing a better job of filtering those guys out a bit though. I don’t think he’s just throwing a net out to see who he can catch. It sounds like he’s giving these dual nationals an option and letting them make their own call. One hopes their motives are based on the right things.

24. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    But then that opens Pandora's box of not being able to play for the country you're a citizen of if your mom happens to be out of the country when you are born. "Sorry, I know you're American but you were born in Andorra. Good luck."
    Do we really want FIFA setting citizenship requirements? Thinking that could be a bad thing. :unsure:

BostonRed repped this.
  25. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Seems like utter nonsense that you could only be eligible for one team from birth. I understand your point regarding flimsy connections feeling a bit strange, but to state that “a player should be eligible for one team only from birth” is, frankly, asinine. It also wouldn’t even solve what you’re allegedly trying to solve for considering Kik was born in Boston!