The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the medium term, I agree 100%. In the short term, I’m on team Republicani delenda est.

The “breaking fever” metaphor doesn’t work for me anymore. We’re at the “lumpectomy” stage.

Deadtigers and song219 repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Cato rep.

Deadtigers and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd argue Republican is 2nd declension neuter so it should be Republicana delenda est. ;)

russ, Q*bert Jones III and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You guys are amazing!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, we have external problems, internal problems, and problems with how we deal internally with the external problems.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Republican voters need to operate on with fact-based view. Yes, I know things like abortion cannot be argued on a fully fact based plain, but some of it can. And things like man-made climate change are also the same. Dems are not void of this, but by and large, Republicans need to rid themselves of those who deny facts and scientific thinking. Off the top of my head, there are some real valid arguments on how to handle farms/farmers/farming in flood planes in the corn and wheat belts, but Republicans are so far down the road in denying science and scientific thinking that it is hard to come to any compromise.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not likely. Owning the Libs is really all they're about. Conservative judges, tax cuts, polar bears now wearing Speedos, kids in cages. Libs hate that stuff.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, there are issues that come down to science, but more often than not we are really looking to balance between important values that are not always fully compatible.

We want to live in a free society, a fair society, a just society, a safe society, a compassionate society etc., and while these are all worthy values, we all tend to value some of them more than the others, and sometimes too much of one takes away too much of the other, and that is where we need to find compromise.

stanger repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know. I did not expect a reference to The Green Hornet's sidekick in this thread.

song219 and argentine soccer fan repped this.
  10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    C, K, what's the difference? Apparently we are all nerds here.

11. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    :confused:
    Wasn't Cato OJ Simpson's sidekick?

fatbastard, dapip and song219 repped this.
  12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kato, not Cato

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    That was after he anglicized his name.

dapip, usscouse and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It won't though because the people needed to keep the sides honest have abandoned that responsibility. Independents are being lazy with their analysis or choosing third party when that is what Republicans want because it keeps them in power. McConnell blocked a supreme court nominee and faced no punishment because people wanted to have some purity test or not take voting seriously.

I like you come here from a country that has scene its politics destroy a nation so we take voting seriously in the family, but here people have taken it granted.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO! I said "science and scientific thinking." I mean being able to logically think through an argument with facts. I mean work through an argument that is fact-based.

I don't disagree with this, but it is hard for one side which uses scientific thinking that is rational and logical versus the other side which largely does not. For example, in small town America, you can have a vote to improve the road to the small town church or the small town school. I would say the school every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. But if the argument is that more people in that small town attend that church than the school, that is a logical argument. If the argument is that God is more important or that everybody needs Jesus or something like that, that is not a logical argument.

That question is not that some value some things more than others, it is why we value some things more than others. We will always value some things over other, but we don't do any introspection to understand why we have those values, then we have lost the ability to argue rationally, which means we have lost the ability to compromise.

xtomx repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

That is not the real story, that is a deflection. The real story is:
    https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/02/senate-panel-ukraine-election-interference-074796

With the impeachment inquiry charging forward, President Donald Trump’s allies have defended his demand for political investigations from Ukraine by claiming that the government in Kyiv tried to sabotage his candidacy and boost Hillary Clinton in 2016.

“Russia was very aggressive and they're much more sophisticated, but the fact that Russia was so aggressive does not exclude the fact that President Poroshenko actively worked for Secretary Clinton,” Republican Sen. John Kennedy claimed on Sunday in an interview with NBC, referring to the former Ukrainian president.

But the Republican-controlled Senate Intelligence Committee thoroughly investigated that theory, according to people with direct knowledge of the inquiry, and found no evidence that Ukraine waged a top-down interference campaign akin to the Kremlin’s efforts to help Trump win in 2016.

That is the story, that the conspiracy with Individual One believes is false. Per a Republican led investigation.

fatbastard, dapip, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'd be totally fine if any journalist would just ask the GOP if they're that desperate to own the libs.

dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Interesting lineup for today's hearings:

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that interesting? I thought it was well known there would be legal Constitutional experts testifying today (first day of the Judiciary hearings).

Moishe repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It will be, among other things:

- Very educational for people not totally familiar with constitutional law.
    - Very entertaining to hear the Republican members of the committee asking questions (are Gohmert and Gaetz allowed to ask questions? Please say yes)
    - Very disturbing to see the coverage in Faux News.
    - Very fascinating to see the WH trying to claim that the constitutional experts don't know about the constitution.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you've confused the term "interesting" with "boring". ;)

Deadtigers, stanger and dapip repped this.
  22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    But do they know anything about the only important constitution?
    upload_2019-12-3_9-42-19.jpeg

http://www.constitution.ru/en/10003000-01.htm

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm not in for the depositions, but for the GOP sh!t show..

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm the Republicans, I'm not sure I'd ask any questions, tbh. These witnesses aren't going to add anything to the investigation into whether Trump tried to bribe/extort/quid the Ukrainians and aren't likely to say whether Trump should be impeached or not. I would imagine, the Republicans are going to spend most of their time repeating the talking points generated by the report they released yesterday.

25. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Has Trump contradicted the report yet? He always manages to undercut what ever "strategy" the Republicans in congress come up with.