The "How Can they Justify Beck's Pay?" thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by golazo68, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mik_smith

mik_smith New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    London
    Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

Yes. But how do you get there? I'd say draw casual fans to games and hope some get hooked. I was a soccer-skeptic until WC94. My Saul to Damascus moment happened when i got stuck on a train with a bunch of Dutch fans (incl. the semi-famous Orange Indian guy), and they convinced me to come with them to the Holland-Saudi game at RFK. 11 years on and i'm watching Crystal Palace, by myself, in the rain, hoping my wife doesn't go into labor until after the game!

And Becks' is a great player for non-snobs to watch: they blow the whistle, stop play, and move everyone back 10 yards before he does anything spectacular ;)

2. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

If all AEG is paying is 3M per year for Beckham and the rest is just imaging rights, HSG and the Crew are reportedly offering 2M for McBride. So if it's the right player and circumstance for the market, HSG might just use that money.

3. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the rating as compared to what, the winter olympics, or ice hockey?
    WHICH IS ANOTHER GOOD POINT. What happened to ice hockey on t.v? Last i saw it it was on the Outdoor Network on cable. What's more popular in this country Ice Hockey, or Soccer? Not to mention cars flying around a big circle.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

the HDC already was getting filled up for LAG matches. now they can just charge a bit more for the tickets.

and you are right about the results having to be there.

that's why it's great to get a 31-32 y.o. player and not one who is 34-35.

we'll see how it works out, but i'm thinking LA will make the playoffs this year.

Sampson's no longer their coach, right?

5. Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

:rolleyes: X Infinity

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? That's odd.

I grew up in Tampa. We sure cared about the league.

The NASL had its highest average attendance after Pele retired. They played seven seasons after Pele retired.

No, the Cosmos were about making the Cosmos money.

Revisionist history about the NASL from newbies is not something we need right now, thanks.

7. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I watched every world cup game and i mean every. How many did you watch?

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Peter Nedved? He retired from hockey after last season. Don't look for him in a soccer kit anytime soon.

9. Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

A few less. Not many. The bars and restaurants were full.

Now seriously. Get a can of gas, take a shower and light a cig.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just to get this straight:

MLS essentially forks over about $10 million a year more or less, and Becks gets 100% of his image rights, which right now are estimated at approx. $44 million a year. Hence, it's more or less $250 mil over 5 years, but that's almost an indirect way of putting it, since MLS will be forking out about $50 million of 5 years, and just NOT getting any of the image rights as well, essentially handing over another 50% of Beck's rights back to him (they were 50/50 with Madrid, right?).

Anyway, is that how to understand it?

I also heard he wasn't coming until the end of the Spanish season. Is that true? I hope not. We need him for the big splash from teh beginning of the season.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

NBA/MLB/middle of the season crappy NFL game.

PS. Hunt SG, or any other coub, doesn't have to use the DP slot to improve the team. If it can get a few $300K-400K players per team under the new cap, the non DP team should see some improvement also.

And there are quite a few quality Central/South American players that would come here for $399,999. Christian Gomez was recruited for about one third of that.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not quite. Oh, they were announcing sellouts, but depending on who you were talking to, those were either fictional numbers or no-shows were rampant. And when you're making money off the parking and concessions and whatever else at your stadium, and that's a major part of your financial model, people not using their paid-for tickets are a problem.

And it's the reason why Sampson was shown the door months after the Gals won the title.
    Well, eight out of 13 make the playoffs, so it's not such a wild bet that the Gals will make the playoffs. But it's not a done deal, and it's not a done deal just because they have Beckham, since his presence in the team will constitute such a big variable.

13. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And when the Cosmos pulled their money where went the league? We cared in Tampa. Ha ha ha ha. And a few people in Dallas care about F.C Dallas but a lot care about the Cowboys. Speaking of Tampa, didn't you guys used to have an MLS team that you couldn't sustain just like an NASL team that you couldnt sustain?

F.C DALLAS FAN 4 LIFE

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What, for hinting that big news was coming a few days before the Beckham Rule was used to sign its namesake?!?!

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

Joe Cannon will not allow his team to miss the playoffs.

and Beckham will be an added bonus. even a 14 y.o. Freddy Adu could play on and contribute to a team that won MLS Cup in his first year in the league. surely Becks will be just as good as a kid was in his first MLS year.

yes, LAG needs defensive and all-around, and it is a team sport, but the club looks to be in good hands as it faces it's upcoming MLS schedule.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sockpuppet.

Hello, sockpuppet, the Rowdies were the thing in Tampa in the late 1970s. You wouldn't know about that. You likely weren't born.

We sustained our NASL team just fine, thank you very much.

17. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: join date: January 11, 2007

1st off I was born and WHERE IS YOUR TEAM NOW SOCCER FANS?

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sockpuppet.

FC Dallas fan for life just discovered Bigsoccer this morning and posts only in threads about Beckham?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Not being able to spell is ass backwards and ludicrous.

20. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

WOW...big money...Galaxy fans will see alot of their team on TV...for that money, I would have bought a team of really good Brazilians but hey, this deal might get me to tune in to MLS much more often. I'm not that interested in Beckham but I do want to see how he holds up in USA

21. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually been reading for about 2 years, was just confused about this stupid contract.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sockpuppet.

23. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

was a joke retard.

24. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT

[My bold highlight] - I agree that MLS needs to back up the fanfare - no issues there. I, however, think that the awareness of soccer in the US has come a LONG way since the days of the NASL. The way I look at is simplistic - when Pele came to the Cosmos I was in Junior High School. The first time I played for a coach who actually played soccer didn't happen until I went to college. There were NO soccer leagues for kids where I grew up (just outside of Hartford, CT.) My kids (now 18, 16 and 15) have never been coached by someone who didn't play soccer (the exact opposite of me, and no, I was not their coach all the time.) While the 'soccer mom' and their kids will probably not understand the intricacies of giving up a throw-in vs. a corner kick or the anticipatory powers of a Michael Parkhurst or the sublime pass of a Ronaldhino (I know there's a huge space between the capabilities of those two) there are a lot more people in the US who do. Those 'soccer moms' and their kids though will understand the basic flow of the game and not be confused by it. They may not get it all, but it won't be so foreign to them. That is a huge plus for the MLS over the NASL.

25. Axldru

Axldru Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

mls fans are worse than trekkies....locked up in your paraents basements obsessing about 2nd divison argie players no one has heard of or cares about. sure you could sign 250 christian gomezes and fill the league with them and the end result would be a league where 10,000 people go to watch games in 70,000 seat stadiums....oh wait....what happened with this signing today is that for the first time in its history mls became RELEVANT....all of my friends hate soccer, and tonight at our weekly poker game they are going to ask me about Beckham. american sports fans have heard of real madrid. they know who david beckham is. i will watch mls this year for the first time since the mutiny were contracted. anyway you slice it mls pulled a world class player away from one of the most decorated club teams in the history of soccer. this is about equal to a spanish basketball signing the #45 michael jordan. this is not an outrage, it's the beginning of people really caring about mls. i'm sorry your beloved league is about to get popular, and make it tougher for you to be #1 dork anymore. but 5 years from now you can sit in full 30,000 seat mls stadiums and tell all the youngsters how mediocre christian gomez really was....and in the mean time you'll still have your boca juniors reserve squad newsletter to masturbate to.