The House

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Riz, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Retreads are often used because the bench is often empty and the party likes name ID candidates. Lower turnout and special elections always favors the GOP.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't live in the Tampa/St. Pete area, so I just watched this race from afar. What exactly made Alex Sink a terrible candidate?

I was listening to an interview with winner David Jolly. According to him there was a good deal of local resentment that Alex Sink was hand picked by the DNC who forced qualified local candidates drop out.

3. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    In other words, when the people voting actually know their s*** enough to care about politics.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or people who can get off of work to go vote. Or people who have cars. Or the elderly, because they don't have to work at all.

You might want to try more at not being a pathetic little piece of shit if you're going to wipe away all of the documented obstacles to voting and just replace it with "oh, they just don't care enough." After you've decided to turn your sorry excuse for a life around a bit, maybe you can ask why lower-income voters turn out in presidential elections when the parties have the resources to drive them to the polls or why lower-income voters turn out in congressional elections at a higher rate when there is weekend voting and extended-hours voting. Do they just become more interested in politics when it becomes easier for them to get time off to vote?

EDIT: As someone who has done this sort of work in campaigns before, I am always amazed how much more the lower classes in this country know about politics than a lot of the posters on this site.

taosjohn repped this.
  5. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No it usually the uber partisan and batshit crazy voters. How did you think akin won in a low primary turnout election, Murdock and the list goes on.

6. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice smackdown on the bs voter ID laws aka voter suppression laws.

7. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Those fools said some crazy ass s*** for sure. Jumping to the conclusion that the people voting for them during the primary were nuts as well is a broader leap, unless of course you have an inherent bias against a particular group.

8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The people voting for them are nuts! Who do you think nominates and elect the nuts! Akin still won 40 percent of the vote statewide in a general election year after his craziness was reveled that in and of itself is shocking.

9. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Or they just didn't want liberals running the Senate....

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This election result was due to voter suppression? Oh my! ;)

11. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    And on the seventh day, Diagoras created absentee ballots.

VFish repped this.
  12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet you anything that if the election were held on a weekend, was a national holiday, and people could have voted two weeks in advance or absentee, that the outcome would have been very different. Not that the Republican would have lost, but that lower-income voters would have turned out at a much, much higher level.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Not to bust your bubble but there was early voting.

14. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forget that I live in Florida. It'd be easy to forget, since it says in my 'location' line that I live in Florida. When I say "two weeks in advance," I mean two weeks in advance. Here in Florida, you can't vote on weekends (when people who work two jobs might have the best chance to get to vote) or after regular hours (also another great time to vote if you have trouble getting off work).

You will tire of being so fruitlessly wrong eventually.

15. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Class warfare is their classic fall-back. It never fails, it's hilarious. But I'm sticking with the "they-just-don't-give-a-s***-about-midterms-and-special-elections-because-that's-the-way-it's-always-been" scenario. It's definitely more plausible. Whether it's high or low income Americans, I've noticed a pretty equal level of s***-giving about politics. Which is sadly very little.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You live in denial.

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who won the 2012 elections, again?

#scoreboardbit*hes

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

But but but.... ACORN!!!

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BENGHAZI!!!

uclacarlos and American Brummie repped this.
  20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The notion that this election result was the due to it being too difficult vote early is beyond silly even for the Chum Gang. Over 25% of eligible voters case their ballots early.

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Here, where early voting is made easy for people, we get around 40% each time...

American Brummie repped this.
  22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    If you're too stupid (or lazy) to figure out how to request an absentee ballot, you shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Those choosing to put their head in the sand about this result aren’t doing anyone a disservice but themselves come November. Hopefully, the spin from Pelosi and Co. is just for show, and they are well aware of the reality behind this result.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    o_O??Complete non sequitur??

24. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Not sure what’s so confusing to you. It’s pretty straight-forward.

The Democrats lost this race for several reasons, but the idea that it was especially difficult to vote early was not one of them.

"While it is true that a special election often has lower turnout (and thus is more likely to be won by a Republican), I think Democrats spin this loss at their own peril. We lost, period," said CNN contributor Paul Begala.

In more positive news for some of you people, your favorite daughter just had her sentenced commuted.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]