The Hot Stove Thread and Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by fiddlestick, Nov 5, 2004.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Well, for whatever reason, Beane has made it crystal clear he won't give teams extra time to negotiate an extension prior to a trade. That's apparently why Atlanta and Baltimore backed out. OTOH, Hudson has stated he wants an extension from the A's; he'll likely want one anywhere.
    No, Hudson could command absolutely huge $$$ on the market. The past couple years, he's been injury prone, and last season, it was obvious fatigue was setting in while he got raked down the homestretch. If the same things happen to him in his walk year, his market value could diminish. I think one of the reasons he wants the extension now is that he's not 100% confident of having a superstar walk year.

2. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Exactly. Supposedly part of the reason is to provide some flexibility, since Manny has 4 years remaining, and they don't like longterm deals. But signing someone like Beltran or Beltre would require at least 4 years. There are rubmlings that Theo wants to clear some room to go after Sheets next year. Which sort of explains the Wells signing, since it's only 2 years.

3. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit. There have been talks.

4. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the idea behind the Manny rumor is that dealing him for Cliff Floyd would give the Sox enough payroll flexability to make serious runs at signing Renteria and Carlos Delgado, fwiw.

Looks like Pedro's going to the Mets.

5. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    No way they trade Manny, get Floyd, then sign Delgado.
    That makes them way too left handed.
    Plus you still end up with 2 guys who should be DH'ing.

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done

BOSTON (Ticker) - Pedro Martinez reportedly is leaving Red Sox Nation for the lore of a guarantee.

The Boston Herald reported Monday afternoon that Martinez, the premier pitcher available on the free agent market, is expected leave the Red Sox and sign with the New York Mets.

According to the report, the Mets swayed the three-time Cy Young Award winner by guaranteeing him a fourth year on his contract, something the Red Sox reportedly would not do. The Mets deal reportedly is worth $56 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...bQ--?slug=metspedromartinez&prov=st&type=lgns

Wooohooooo!!!!!!

7. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    So, you're a Yankees fan I take it?

8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't be. "I have to tip my cap and call them my daddies." If he ain't here, they can't shell him, can they?

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just have to make sure he is out of rotation for the subway series. The rest is gravy.

10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    KNBR is reporting the Giants have just signed C Mike Matheny. Guess that means the end of the A.J. Pierczynski experiment.

re: the reporting of Hudson to LA as a done deal last night on local news, a reporter was on the radio this afternoon saying that was complete fiction and that nothing had been committed. His take was that Beane was playing everybody again to try to get more interest going among GMs, because all of a sudden Florida and one other team made offers. He also implied that Beane might tell all the other teams that their offers aren't enough, then turn around and offer them Zito for what they were offering for Hudson. Zito's more attractive to sign because he's under contract for two more years.

One thing about Hudson's status I didn't know...if the A's just keep him and he leaves as a free agent after next season, they'll get a first-round pick and a "sandwich pick" (between the first and second rounds) from whatever team signs him.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedro is a 7 innings pitcher, TOPS. There is no way getting around that, so unless the Mets have a real good bullpen then I don't see how Pedro can have a better year in NY then he would if he stayed with the Sox.

I think Pedro was just looking to get paid. If the Sox didn't win the Series then he stays. He's got his ring, he got a Cy Young award, he has nothing else to gain from staying in Boston. That being said I am dissapointed he left and I think he will be missed.

This is a good thing for the Sox though. Now they can take that money and spend it else where, like maybe going after Hudson. I heard LA dropped out cause they didn't want to give up the guys they originally were going to give up.

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Jeff Kent cried at his press conference apparently...what kind of dick cries from joy at signing for the f'ing LA DODGERS??

13. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    The kind of guy who grows up watching the Dodgers.

14. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my...

15. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    ???

I didn't mean that in a manner insultory towards Dodger fans. Hell, if I was a veteran athlete and the team I rooted for as a kid signed me, I might cry a little, too. Not wuss cry, mind you. Manly jock cry. :D

16. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    I don't think those were tears of joy.
    They were tears of being protected in the lineup by Shawn Green and a platoon of David Ross and Brent Mayne.
    Kent can eat my ass. Insulted the team as soon as they introduced him.

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, no it's just that I dont like the Dodgers, that's all. It's okay though cause I like the Padres!

18. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedro's refusing to allow a shoulder MRI in his physical.

Omar Minaya is officially FCUKED.

19. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Signing him for 50M without taking a look at that torn labrum would be about on par for the Mets.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Jeff ********in Kent, thats who.

he put the douche in douchebag. i always hated that guy.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    oh, and 655321....

now that posednick is off the market will you guys give us something of value for career underachiever marlon byrd? please?

thanks...

hang, and phillies fans everywhere.

22. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Ha! What did he say?

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    When he's out there with his 'stache and mirrored sunglasses, he looks like a joke from Reno 911.

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he has Willie's approval!

God damn I hate my team. Why don't we just take Mo off the DL and put him on the roster. We need a first baseman anyway.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    hey, i hate the mets too! cool!