The History of Soccer DVD Box Set

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by odg78, Sep 25, 2003.

1. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Before the World Cup, some PBS stations around the country were showing a multi-part documentary, "The History of Football." The only way to get it was to order it from the UK for around £85 or so, and then it was in the PAL format. It's now being released in the US on October 7th in NTSC as "The History of Soccer." It can be preordered from CD Universe for only $55.99. As I recall it's gotten really good reviews.

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have it- it's an incredible program that looks at almost every football culture and interviews all the best personalities. Maradona is a riot throughout.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thanks!!

I'm going to order a copy today

4. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So it is formatted for US DVD players? Cool, and not a bad price as well. I've seen a few installments of the series on the local PBS station. Good stuff.

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeppers. I bought the PAL version last year and I've been watching it by hooking my laptop up to the TV. The bonus stuff is somewhat cool too. Amazing, amazing set.
    And Gringo is right, Maradona talking about the "Hand of God" goal is worth the $60 by itself.

I think I'll get the NTSC version and put the PAL version on eBay...

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might have to spring for this...

...or get my gal to spring for it for me... :)

7. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to buy a region free dvd player with a PAL to NTSC converter primarily for this DVD set. Now I don't have to. Thanks!

8. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I own it as well, and Gringo and skipshady are so right.

Here is small clip from the program, when Diego starts his piss-take on Shilton. (you may need to turn the volume up a bit)

http://www.geocities.com/castmind/diego.html

9. AussieHarry

AussieHarry Member

Nov 18, 2001
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hi guys, I'm really keen to get hold of this DVD too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...0864/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-6153769-1482019

Above is the link for the regular box set costing 22 pounds.

Below is the link for the 'complete' box set which costs 81 pounds!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000063TRA/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/026-6153769-1482019

Now obviously that's a massive price discrepancy. Does anyone know what the difference is? Are the extras that are talked about in the reviews of the 'complete' set not available on the other one? I'm keen on buying this but don't want to pay an extra 60 pounds worth unless the difference is amazing!

Is the one that you guys describe for $55US the normal box set or the complete set?
    Thanks for your help

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It might be because the one on top is Region 2 (Europe and Japan, etc) and the one on bottom is Region "0" (meaning you can play it anywhere in the world as long as you have PAL DVD player and TV).

Since Australia is Region 4, the Region 2 version won't work for you unless you can hack your DVD player or computer.

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a worthy investment, some great footage of matches that you would really have to dig for to find elsewhere. I was especially impressed with the DVD devoted to Brazil, but I'd have to agree with others, Maradona's interview takes the cake, especially where he insists in the conspiracy that the 1990 World Cup Final was fixed. Very interesting stuff.

12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  13. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. AussieHarry

AussieHarry Member

Nov 18, 2001
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Which I have done so. God bless the internet. :)
    I guess I'll be going with the cheaper version then.

15. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Or you can get a DVD player that's multi-regional, allowing you to play DVD's from any region.