The high scoring aggr. thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Henrik, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    5-4! We wrote history again at White Hart Lane. Can you believe that scoreline? This is the highest aggregate in living memory, the highest aggregate in an English League match I have witnessed. The closest I have ever come to this was the 2-6 league cup defeat to manure in 1990-91, and I recall we beat Wednesday 7-0 or 7-1 in mid 90s something. Also Standard Liege was beaten with a similar scoreline in Europe round that time.

Meanwhile 5-4 is definately the highest aggregate in a Spurs v Arsenal derby, so those of us who were lucky enough to be there saw a match that will go down in history. The closest derby result was a 4-4 draw in 1964, apparently.

The only other 5-4 score I have heard of was our defeat at home against the "Busby babes", a classic game in 1958, also remembered because it was sadly the last time that United team played in England before disaster hit them in Munchen airport.

Can anyone recall any high scoring Arsenal games (Carling Cup games etc 9-8 victory over Rotherham after penalties etc also included if you wish)?

Our record victory was 12-0 vs Loughborough (where the fxxx is that?) in 1900,
    record defeat 0-8 against the same team in 1896 in old division 2.

2. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    This was also the first time an epl match had 9 different scorers.

3. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    It goes to show it was an extraordinary game, I cant see a score like this coming up soon, incl the fact that nobody else can think of game with this score. Glory, Glory Arsenal!

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Too true. This was one hell of a hockey game.

5. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    .....and very entertaining too!!

6. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    the new yellow puck is really cool