the Grudge

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Gordon EF, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    This si the scariest film ever made, in fact, it's the only film I have watched and been genuinley terrified of.

Anybody else seen it? What did you think?

2. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Not seen it myself but my mate's words were 'near shat myself' :D

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It wasn't the scarriest film I ever saw, but it definately frightened me much, much more than I thought it would. I rate it quite highly.

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I have never been afraid to watch a film ever but I was watching The Grudge through my fingers, I really wanted to leave the cinema but you have to keep watching.

Definately one of the best films I've seen and I can't wait to see the Japanese original.

5. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I know a couple true horror movie buffs who claim the original Japanese (Ju-On) is one of the 2 or 3 scariest films ever made. I haven't talked to them yet about the American remake.

I did see Ju-On 2, btw, and found it pretty damn scary.

6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Aye, it's always interesting to see how an American 'remake' compares to the original. I saw Ring before the remake but haven't seen the American version although most people I know who have seen it said it was pretty poor and not as scary. Although TBH, the original wasn't really "scary".

Although I would imagine that Sam Raimi does the origninal justice and I might even be willing to bet that the American version is better than the original.

I didn't know there was a sequel, although The Grudge does leave it wide open. I realy need to get Ju-on and the sequel.

7. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I was surprised by it actually. It's very good. It was scary in a jump-out-of-your-seat sort of way. It's good to see Gellar put her buffy experience to good use.

However I wouldn't put it at the top of the list. There's scary... then there's make you read the bible, carry your rosary, check under the bed scary. Like say the exorcist.

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'd have to disagree with that. I saw The Exorcist a few years ago when it came out on DVD and I'd heard all the stories about it, half of which probably weren't true, and I stayed up till the wee small hours and watched it in the dark because I wanted to be terrified. It was good but it really wasn't the great or that scary. I wasn't scared to go to sleep like I was after watching The Grudge.

I don't think I'll be able to llok into a mirror, watch a CCTV tape or go down a stairwell without shitting myself for quite a while.

9. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Well most of us remember seeing the exorcist at a very young age. Perhaps that is a big reason why so many regard it as the scariest movie of all time. The impression that movie left has stayed with me ever since. The music alone sends chills down my spine.

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I was quite young when I saw it but I suppose it must have lost something by the time I saw it, a good 20 years after it was made.

I still think it's a great film and the theme music is one of the best ever IMO.

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Grudge in one word: yawn...

FYI, the American version is directed by the same guy who made the Japanese version.