The greatest player you've never seen play but heard great things about?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
  2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have to say 'Charro' Moreno. I didn't see one single clip of him.

Players like Di Stefano or Garrincha I've seen at least a few highlights, maybe just enough to get a bit of a glimpse, to form an idea of what they must have been, how they played, which I can together with the literature and statistics on them. But of Moreno I saw zilch, other than a couple of old pictures which tell me nothing, and so I have to rely entirely on the old timers versons of how great he was. And to this day there are those in Argentina, and other places where he played (Chile, Colmbia etc) who claim he was better than DiStefano and Maradona.

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    For me, it's Zamora. Never seen a single moving image of him, yet hear how great he was whenever all-time goalies are mentioned.

4. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    While I was recommending reliable dealers, I would also like to warn everybody of one unreliable dealer.

His name is Andy Wilson from Newark/Notts (UK) and he also goes under the name of Gingerbread Newark. I sent him 11 games on DVD in a swap in March but he didn't send me anything in return and hasn't replied to my emails since he got my games (which he offers for sale on his website).

This guy is a cheating twat. Stay away from him!

5. smd9

smd9 Guest

di stefano, pele, cryuff, zico,kempes,beckenbauer.etc...

6. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    I'm too young to remember most of the players. Beckenbaur i think i've watched....

I guess my answer has to be Pele.

7. mrelkane2u

mrelkane2u New Member

May 18, 2005
    NYC
    Puskas. I've never seen him play but I heard he was the man

8. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I heard a lot about Puskas too. I heard he was a sick player. But my first choice has got to be Garrincha. I heard he was almost as good as Pele and helped draw some of the defensive attention away from Pele. I would have voted for Pele, but FIFA.com got him playing Italy in 1970 and I watched that match on computer. In fact FIFA.com got matches featuring several of these players in past World Cups. Here is the link.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/video.html#

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I bought a VCD (two discs) and it was a documentary that featured all the goals from Italia 90 including the shootouts. It costed about $14 US but he doesn't record VCDs now though one DVD costs $14 US. I don't know about his prices for tapes though.

10. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Duncan Edwards, Manchester United and England. Died in the 1958 Munich air crash with so many of his team mates. I've heard he was a great physical specimen who dominated the game but he also had great skill. People say if he had lived England would have won the world cup before 1966 and it would have been Edwards not Bobby Moore who raised the trophy at Wembley.

11. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    George Best.

Never saw him play, though he probably doesn't remember himself playing either.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Cheers. That is a pretty good price, especially with the current exchange rate.

BTW does that have commentary by Brian Moore? If so I have it and it is a classic.

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's what happens if a man is an alcoholic. :)

14. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I heard that his left foot was so good that as a little show off he would juggle with the soap in the shower.

15. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Wolfgang Overath. I've never/hardly seen him play, but based on his career I'd suffice to say he probably doesn't take much of a backseat to any attacking/central midfielder that ever played. I wish I could see more footage of him in action. I read that he was so versatile and athletic that he could slot into virtually any midfield position and not suffer a drop in form.

I'm not saying there weren't better midfielders in history, but I wish his name would be more mentioned in the breath of the Maradona's, Platini's and Cryuff's. Given his performances at WC 1970, I'd have to say he would merit such an honor.

Even in all the midfielder votes in threads made by Comme, he didn't receive not a single vote aside from me in "other".

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reading's own Robin Friday.

a picture of the man
    http://www.superfurry.org/covers.ph...mandontgiveafuc
    (you'll need to add a 'k' to the end of that url.)

a brief summary of his career
    Robin Friday (July 27, 1952 - December 22, 1990) was an association footballer.

He was the epitome of a "flawed genius," graced with incredible talent, but having a wild and unpredictable temperament that could see him kissing a policeman one match, pulling down an opponent's shorts in a second, and being sent-off and taking a dump in the opposition's bath in a third.

Friday started his career for the now defunct Walthamstow Avenue football club, but soon decamped to Hayes, who were willing to pay him more and were closer to his home in Acton. Hayes started one match with only ten players, as Friday was finishing a pint in the local pub. When he finally took the field after ten minutes he was obviously drunk and spent the game staggering around the pitch. Naturally, the opposition ignored him - until he scored the only goal of the game.

In 1973 he was transferred to Reading where he signed professional forms for the first time. In the 135 games he played for Reading he scored 55 goals, and made many more. He painted his walls black so wallpaper patterns wouldn't freak him out when he was doing Acid. He was barred from one of the town centre's roughest pubs no fewer than 8 times, once for dancing naked on the bar. He became such a crowd favourite that his on- and off-field antics are still the subject of discussion three decades after he moved on. He even won the "Player of the Millennium" award; no mean feat when many of the voters could never have seen him play. A man who once scored a goal so good that world cup referee Clive Thomas stopped and applauded and told him it was the greatest goal he'd ever seen.

His wild lifestyle meant no higher division manager would touch him with a bargepole unitl in 1976 Friday moved to Cardiff City for the knock-down price of £30,000. The Cardiff manager of the day commented that he felt he was robbing Reading, but was simply told "you'll see". Robin didn't disappoint: being arrested at Cardiff railway station on the day he arrived, having travelled from Reading with just a platform ticket. He started his on-field career with Cardiff in a similar explosive manner, scoring twice against a defence marshalled by Bobby Moore. He lasted only 25 games with Cardiff before simply walking away from football for good
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Friday

4 Robin Friday
    Travelling by train from his first club, Reading, to sign for Cardiff City, Friday was arrested for fare dodging. The erstwhile borstal boy with a pathological aversion to authority had spent time in jail after stabbing a taxi driver with a fork. He spent his close seasons at a Cornish hippy commune and demanded to play in the reserves to avoid training. Aside from the time he tried to steal a live swan from his team’s hotel, his favourite pre-match preparation involved dropping acid, smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. The Friday before his Ninian Park debut was spent in the pub. At closing time he left with a carry-out. Some say he took 12 bottles of lager, others put it closer to 30. No matter, next day he scored twice. He lasted less than a year in Cardiff before walking away from football. He died, aged 38, in 1990 from a heroin overdose.
    http://www.kiwirugby.net/krforums/m...p?topic_id=5606

after retiring many players run a pub or seek a job on TV.

Robin? - 'He was spotted down at Piccadilly Circus a few times,' says Hewitt. 'He'd look for someone who had drugs and then he'd slam them up against the wall and say: 'I'm Detective Robin Friday from the local CID. I'm going to have to confiscate those drugs - don't do it again.' Then he just walk away with the drugs.
    http://www.oa515.com/inter016.htm

the book
    http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp...40181087&DB=220

17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was a gun. Overath has to be one of Germany's greatest ever midfielders.

18. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Indeed a great player. Coincidentally, have seen a lot of his games recently. He's one of those players who does fall through the cracks; though not quite certain he is at the level of the three you mentioned above.

Did you consider joining this thread? Great Bayern & Germany Games for free, anybody interested? I think Gregoriak was generous enough to put two or three games with Overath in the mix.

When you consider both Beckenbauer articulating the game from further back and Overath further forward, gives you an indication of how creative Germany of the time really were.

19. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Muito Obrigado. :)

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, Brian Moore was the commentator. I like those kind of compilations. I reckon that there should be something like that for the Euros and CL seasons.

21. magia

magia New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Asuncion
    Garrincha (I´ve seen Pele in videos) or Yasim, I have always wanted to see Arsenio Erico ( he was Di Stefano´s idol when he was a kid) people say that he could jump higher than the goalie.

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Definitely agree on the CL thing, but these days there are just so many games.

I have a similar thing from Euro 92, but the tape is old and worn out a bit.

23. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    George Best.

I've only seen a couple of his goals.

24. Argentina Girl

Argentina Girl New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    For me it's Di Stefano.

25. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There's a lot of video of him out there, but usually the quality is poor.