The Greatest Ever Right-back

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jul 6, 2005.

1. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I suggest you get yourself copies of games he played in. At a minimum the Brasil '62 WC games.

We [not directed at you dor02]should stop stereotyping the abilities of Brasilian defenders.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Which matches at Chile 62 would be Santos best performances?

A great Brazilian right-back, in what I consider to be a more conventional defender is Jorginho, who played at Italia 90 and USA 94. Not as great as Santos but a great Brazilian one nonetheless.

3. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    All of them were strong performances [maybe I shouldn't say "all" since I haven't seen enough of the Spain game to judge his performance on that day, but I'm assuming it was in line with the rest of the tournament], with the quarter finals against England probably the best.

Djalma was a rock on defense. He didn't go forward as much as Cafu or Jorginho in part becuase he wasn't needed to provide the width on his side (Garrincha). He's noted for being effective going forward when he did go forward, but also noted for being very hard to beat (a physical specimen).

In the same way we shouldn't stereotype German defenders. Vogts was as offensive as Djalma.

4. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Vogts for me, even if he did fook right up with the Scottish team as Manager.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he was my pick too.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Vogts for me as well. Great manager into the bargain - look how well he did with a horrible Scotland team.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  8. bennyf118

bennyf118 Member

Jun 5, 2002
    MD
    I'm relatively young, so I don't know much about players before WC 94, but the two that immediately popped into my mind were Cafu and Zanetti. I'm REALLY REALLY surprised nobody has mentioned Zanetti yet, he's been the class of the Argentine team for a while IMHO.

9. fuschia

fuschia Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Was Faschetti (spelling ?) a right back? He invented the attacking defender. Even the great Kaiser one modelled after him.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He was a left-back and is on that poll.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is that guy actually a right back?

12. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    L. Thuram, yet another member of Les Bleus' cheat code of a '98 defense

13. bennyf118

bennyf118 Member

Jun 5, 2002
    MD
    That's where he's been playing recently on the Argentine national team, as far as I've seen...