The Greatest Ever Goalkeeper?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jul 6, 2005.

1. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    Jose Luis Chilavert es el mejor jugador del mundo.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With the modern lightweight ball, I believe Didi would be much deadlier with his free kicks and Puskas may have easily scored more goals.

3. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    :eek: No Shay Given?

Well in that case Schmeichel gets my vote.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    But by that same token, the majority of goalkeepers are vastly superior.

5. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Fue mejor arquero del mundo en un determinado anio, segun el Centro de Estadisticas situado en Alemania. Mas conocido por lo que metio (y por lo que hablo) que por lo que atajo, lo cual lo convirtio en el mejor arquero goleador, pero tambien intragable para la prensa y para el publico conservador o para el espectador contrario a su equipo.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What do you mean?

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Yashin is one of only a few keepers from that era who has some of the skills required to be a goalkeeper in the present. The rest of them were relatively poor in regard to being athletic, making reaction saves (etc)..........

Just my opinion of course, but I shed a small tear everytime I watch highlights from that age. To be perfectly honest, I could do better than some that I have seen.

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Likewise. The footage I've seen hasn't made me completely convinced about him being the greatest ever. Can you name specific games that you've seen and Yashin was playing?

How much footage of Dino Zoff have you seen?

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And then he caughed it up in the final :)

10. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Amadeo Carrizo.

11. alman

alman New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Italy
    when lev yashin was a goalkeeper the footballs weighted 2-3 times more than they do today... schmeichel is so much better than every one else

12. Mini Shay

Mini Shay New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    England
    Ive gone for Schmeichel also.

When you look at how he played and the high standard he did for so long for United in my oppinion I could vote for no one else.

Look at what he brought to the club, and how they have suffered since. Organised well, he was a massive presence which in itself was unsettleing for opponents, and his distribution was the best ever seen in the game from any keeper.

I will not how ever forgive him for scoring against Everton!! He may have been my boyhood hero, but theres no reason to do that Peter!

One other keeper who I think deserves a mention is Neville Southall.

13. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Where did you get that info from?
    You know that the weight of a football is regulated under IFAB's rules, right?
    I doubt it would have undergone through such a change

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Poor, Rinat Dasaev. He was a truely great keeper. :(

Yashin pratically gave birth to the whole idea of a keeper being flexible and atheltic enough to rush out of the box, punch the ball and even use other parts of the body to block shots.

He is the father of modern goalkeeping, and of whom the likes of Schmeichel owe their profession too.

15. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    You would be surprised at how much lighter footballs have become. Also all these "technology" to make it easier to control, more power on the shots...

If you go back to the origins of football, that is where you notice the biggest difference in how heavy it used to be.

16. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Especially if it rained - balls used up to the 60's would retain water when wet and become even heavier.

17. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    The greatest goalkeeper I've ever seen play was Michel Preud'homme.

18. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Why isnt Kahn even on the list?
    3 times world keeper of the year. Only goalkeeper who won the best player of a World Cup award and he isnt even considered?

19. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Right, but back in his era, every goalkeeper had to deal with this. Hence it doesn't explain why Yashin never was the downright best keeper of a World Cup - despite taking part in three of them (in one he even was among the worst keepers).

In Europe yes, but in South America this was old news. Think about Amadeo Carrizo.

20. tigres

tigres Red Card

Jul 20, 2005
    I' ll go with the swedish goalkeeper Ravelli, not on the list,

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Because he's over-rated.

As far as I'm concerned Buffon has been considerably better and if any current GK was included it would be him.

22. extranjero

extranjero New Member

May 28, 2004
    To be overrated you have to be rated in the first place.

Kahn is the only goalkeeper ever to win the Golden Ball at the World Cup. He is the only goalkeeper ever to be among the last three -- he placed second -- at the FIFA Player of the Year Awards. He has won the World Goalkeeper of the Year Award three times, and placed once second and third, each. Nobody has a better record since this award is given since 1987 -- not even Schmeichel.

Edit: Kahn has also won more Uefa Club Awards than every other player since the award began in 97/98. He was voted the best UEFA Goalkeeper from 99-02 in four consecutive years.

So, yes, Kahn would seem to be rated. But when Khan is obviously rated by informed others perhaps you should have included him in the poll when it strives to reflect the opinions of the majority and not your own. ;)

I mean, you've included Shilton, Pfaff, Grosics and Dasaev in this poll and I wouldn't think it outrageous if even informed people would rate Kahn higher than some of these very fine goalkeepers.

I'm getting the impression that you may be primarily thinking of Kahn in the last couple years or so in which his performance level notably dropped off when you say that Buffon was better or that Kahn is overrated. Yes, Buffon was better as were not a few others but Kahn has played worse during this time than for the last _decade_ before that. So I think such a comparison might be a tad unfair to Kahn.

I would say Buffon was never as dominant as Kahn was in his prime nor has he yet proven to be as lasting as Kahn who was arguably World Class or near it for nearly a decade. So for him to be included in this poll ahead of Kahn would not be justified in my opinion.

Anyway, I would probably have included Kahn in this poll along with a couple South or Central Americans.

23. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I wouldn't say Buffon is considerably better than Kahn. Buffon is yet to reach the level Kahn achieved when he was at his best.

24. Mini Shay

Mini Shay New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    England
    I agree.

Buffon is definatly (In my oppinion anyway) the pick of the bunch at the moment, closely followed by Given. I do not how ever think he is better than Kahn was.

Having said that, I have never seen any football from South America, or the African contitnent to be able to fairly judge anybody as the worlds best.

25. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    This is a "Pandora's Box" if I ever saw one. One will obviously be influenced by who they saw growing up, & one player can never satisfy everyone.

Being one of the old farts here, I would rank Clemence, Banks, Jennings, Maier, Schumacher ('82 semifinal not withstanding), Zoff, Pfaff all up there, along with others my mind is forgetting at the moment. Yashin has a big rep, but he also played behind the veil of the USSR, where one was not privileged to see a lot what went on during his heyday, except for international competition.

He is credited with starting the fashion trend of keepers wearing all black.