The Greatest Ever Attacking Midfielder?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jul 8, 2005.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're overexaggerating. I don't think you were an idiot and I wasn't expecting you to go on about Rivera. Maybe if was an Inter fan, I would think that you are a massive idiot. What I meant was that for Rivera to not get any votes, it's a bit surprising. He's a player worthy of a few votes.

2. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I voted Platini for this one, but there is 3 players I would like to see included, funnily they are Arsenal players of the last 10 years....

Viera
    Overmars
    Pires

I am the only one who thinks so?

I mean Zidane is a fantastic, skillful, savvy player but no-one in the world scores as many and has as many assists as Pires, fair enough he has a good team around him, but so does Zidane.

[wonders if Peter Beardsley counts as an attacking midfielder]

3. climax

climax New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Kolkata, Montreal
    Some people might consider themselves to be incredibly knowledgeable about football, but to imply that Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Zidane are not amongst the greatest players of all time in their respective positions is simply moronic! Also, to suggest that Platini is anywhere close to Maradona's ability is equally imbecilic. This poll has only one winner: Maradona. Di Stefano might come in second place followed by Didi, Cryuff, Zico, Platini and Zidane (in no particular order).

PS: There is no reason to devalue current greats in order to glorify past greats.

4. Heff

Heff New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Relegation Battle

Obviously the players above are considered legends in the game. Players like zico for example are some of the best players the game as ever seen. However eventhough I am an Arsenal fan I agree with Tino for putting Robert Pires name into the fold.

He indeed is not in the same class as Pele, di stefano zico etc but in todays english premiership which is considered one of the most physical and hardest league in thw world, Pires scores an average of 15 goals per season and his assists are one of the best in europe.

This I feel is why Pires should be considered one of the best attackive midfielder. He does not posses the skill of Zico or the flair of Zidane but he is consistently one of the best players in the premiership.

5. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Tino, as usual, you're misguided. Viera isn't an attacking midfielder, Overmars is a winger and Pires just isn't good enough.

6. Heff

Heff New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Relegation Battle

Silver, Tino has a point with Pires. With Vieira and Sir Marc Overmars you are indeed right.

7. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Is a winger not an attacking midfielder?

I take on board the Viera thing. But find me a midfielder in Europe who has scored more goals AND has had as many assists in the last 3-4 seasons consistantly as Pires? He has finished at or around the top of the OPTA stats in the Premiership all these times apart from when Laurent Robert beat him (narrowly) a couple of years ago...although I do remember him missing about 10 games through injury.

8. Heff

Heff New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Relegation Battle

He is always 2nd top goalscorer at Arsenal for the past 3 seasons behind Henry. He has got to be in the survey as seen above.

9. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I still want to know if a winger is an attacking midfielder? I would have thought they were the most attacking midfielders. The title was not attacking central midfielder was it? pfffffffft

10. Heff

Heff New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Relegation Battle

I usually feel when a midfielder is an attacking mid then they usually play in the middle or behind the front two such as scholes in his hey day. But wingers now adays are not the old out and out winger like overmars, denilison etc. So they can be considered attack mids.

11. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    It seems that Pontas are part of the past. A Ponta was a man in the midfield, while the Winger is what we call Ala. Cicinho, for instance, is an Ala with São Paulo. A real Ala will always fit better in a 3-5-2 formation due to the fact that a player in that role will attack much more than a Lateral. In the Confederations Cup, for instance, Roque Júnior and Lúcio had huge problems with Cicinho's attacking tendencies in a 4-2-2-2 formation. :)

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That might not be the title, but the fact that all of the options are central and comme is doing polls for every position, including two for the wings... :rolleyes:

13. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I have seen the polls and have not seen one for either of the wings. Can you provide a link?

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Left winger
    Right winger

Plus the fomation was also mentioned in the other polls. I would also assume that a poll for striker might appear at some stage. ;)

15. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Well they did not exist when I was doing these polls earlier :rolleyes:

Will take some thinking about.

Striker will be difficult me thinks, I know who my first choice is but my second is more difficult.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I haven't voted on this one yet, because I am waiting to see what the options for striker/forward positions are.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL ... Pires does not belong in that list. Give me a break. Most of his goals are tap ins.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pires is a good sidekick that knows how to be at the right place at the right time. He is not able to carry a team like a Zidane, Maradona, Zico, etc ...

19. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    you obviously haven't been watching pires for long... :rolleyes:

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    3 years. Unless he really went downhill (I did start watching him after his injury), I stick with my point. He is a good player. But doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say Rivaldo belongs to this list way before Pires.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pires, Viera and Overmars do not belong anywhere near a list of the best-ever attacking mids.

23. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    The absence of Zico and Rivaldo from these polls (considering that it would be inappropriate to list them as forwards) is quite alarming. Obviuosly they wouldn't win ahead of, say, Maradona, but players of much lesser ability have appeared on the lists.

24. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Zidane the 2nd best attacking midfielder of all-time...

25. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Check out the right-back poll - Cafu is romping home.