The Great De-Klein?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Calexico77, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching our last two games/meltdowns closely, I'm struck by the fact that it's been Klein's performance that's been the biggest difference. Klein's been a rock all this season and last, but it looks like maybe he's hit a rough patch.

He was completely absent at Right Back today, and looked exhausted and slow against Columbus. Am I missing something? Has Gullit put him in some new position that I haven't noticed?

2. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, when you're down 2-1 in the 2nd half, your attacking back has to go forward, and you're left exposed.

I don't give a damn if we lose 2-1 or 3-2 or 4-1, you still lose.

Kudos to Klein for going forward and trying to even the score, he and Becks have had some nice combos this season.

We'll kick the piss outta DisgustingCrackheads when they come to LA.

Topper

:D :D :D

3. Falsify

Falsify Member

Jul 28, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not playing his regular position. If he had been playing right back this whole season and last season then I would gripe.

Klein works really hard, which is a precondition for being a good defender however I don't think he posses the 'skill' or defensive 'talent' to make that position his own.

4. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is in good health, he can play 90 min. But he lacks the speed which
    would help him. He can't compete with younger players.
    Plus he tried to do too many positions that didn't work well.

Lastly, he may be getting older....;)

I like him though....

5. kato382

kato382 New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Why don't they switch him with Jazic and put both guys in their natural position?

6. jorgeinla4

jorgeinla4 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too like Klein. He has great work ethics and never seems to complain. Is he out of shape? Well, ask the guy he tackled the other day during the game. :D

7. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    2 bad games out of what 30-40...

no need to worry yet, he has shown time and time again this season he can be a fantastic support going forward, has expirience to help him cover the fact that he is not really a defender too.

It was hot yesterday, so he suffered, as did most others btw.

I'm positive we'll see the usual Klein again in the next games.

8. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Good points those. It isn't the case of him losing pace, just not having much to begin with. He doesn't run the line like Randolph, or a quicker full-back, but he does seem to get forward when he can. The worry is him getting caught on the break.

9. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think its only 2 bad games in 30-40 then you haven't been watching. Klein has been a poor defender for the past two years. What most people love about the guy is how well he goes forward. Well guess what, he's been a RM his whole career. Of course he looks good going forward! He has lost a yard of pace though, he constantly loses track of his mark, is often slowest to react at the far post and doesn't have the natural instincts of a defender.

We let Albright go because the FO saw Franklin as the long-term solution at right back. When we sign the two new centerbacks from Honduras and Argentina, Franklin needs to move wide right where he can dominate games for the next decade. I said it at the time of the trade and I'll say it now, Klein has no business being on this roster. He's too old, too slow and not what we needed at the time or even now. For Beckham to be at his effective best we need a right back that can hold down the entire right flank by himself at times while DB has the freedom to roam from wide right to a more central position when needed.

Has Klein been a good servant in MLS and for the Galaxy as of late, yes, undoubtedly! Is he the answer now or in the future for this team, our team, the LA Galaxy? Hell no!

10. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He looked bad because Beckham didn't provide any cover.

11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Particularly on the second goal! Who would think Mark Burch would school David Beckham?

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Davis has some interesting things to say about the Klein/Beckham partnership.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=552720&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

He also has some other interesting points in the article regarding "X" and team defending.

Myself, I've really got no complaints about Klein. I think he's been a warrior out there.

13. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also need to consider the fact that Klein has played every minute of all 14 games this season, and went the full 90 in the Open Cup and saw tim in the Vancouver game. He is the only Galaxy player to have done so this season.

The problem is this, who on the roster can fill in for him if Sean Franklin plays in the Middle. I shudder to think of this as our back line:

Randolph-Vanney-X-Franklin

That pretty much insures that all attacks go down the left side, or straight up the middle with great success. Chris needs a break but we can't afford to give him one.

14. RAJ88

RAJ88 Member

Jan 14, 2000
    One thing that drives me crazy about soccer and coaching is playing players out of position.

Klein has never been a defender. He has always been a MD. I know many defend him because he's a warrior that works hard and is always running, but he is not a natural defender.

We drafted Franklin at RB and he should be given a chance to play RB. It is time for a Julian Valentine to get a chance at CB.

15. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: Did you see him play during the preseason? Scary.

16. RAJ88

RAJ88 Member

Jan 14, 2000
    He has never played a full game for the team and really got no playing time during the preseason. Gavin played badly, but got more games, including the season opener.

Valentine recently played for and trained with the U-23 squad.

He can't be as horrible as X and Vanney.

17. Falsify

Falsify Member

Jul 28, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to go ahead and end this thread with a simple video.
    This was less than a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IagYJxS8Lu8

Chris is playing defense right now. Chris is not a NATURAL defender. Enough said.

18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We have very few players who really understand the team game and have some creativity with the ball at their feet. Unfortunately two of them are permanently on the bench - the others are Becks, Landon, and Klein. So for this team Klein's offensive contributions more than offset his defensive liabilities. If one of our cb's wasn't so slow, that would help as well in the "covering for Klein" dept.

BTW, I noticed in the first half of the DC game Klein at one point worked himself almost to a left midfield/forward position! No wonder he was gassed later. Perhaps he could be a bit more judicious with his efforts on super hot days.