The Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NickyViola, Nov 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, if you on a motorized or e-whatever that can go over, say, 20mph you should need to get a license and registration and subject to speed traps, point deductions, etc. like everyone else on the road.

That said, the e-CitiBike incident in which a pedestrian was killed* is probably the worst example one can use when arguing for such changes. For starters, it kind of looks like the d-bag on the bicycle had the light (first time for everything, I suppose :cool: ). Secondly, those e-bikes are designed with a max speed built into them that isn't very fast. One can easily attain higher speeds with an old-fashioned peddle bicycle.

[* and it goes without saying that it was a hit-and-run]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a hit and run. The rider got off the bike, helped the woman up then got the police. The police said he could leave.

I have cycled in NYC a lot and people walk and even stand chatting in the bike lanes, step out into the street without looking and, of course, if you haven't been car doored you're not a real urban cyclist.

3. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-musk-climate-misinformation-social-platforms

Musk burning all of his pro-environment cred. He should start a line of gas guzzlers to fully own the libs.

cachundo and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    And ... bicyclists not only routinely run red lights, in high traffic and high pedestrian areas, but also commonly do so while biking against the traffic, on the wrong side of the street.

As a pedestrian living in NY, I am far fonder of cars than I am of bicycles. Although to be sure ebikes are worse yet.

BocaFan and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Next time I get the chance, I'll be aiming to run over your toes.

soccernutter and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Make sure you get the skinny tires pumped up to 100psi.

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is totally common here - you have to always have an eye peeled for the "falschfahrer' in the bike lane at intersections. Many smaller one way streets actually allow this

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does that sort of thing imply we should be applying safe road use laws to bicycles or other 2 wheeled modes of transport as well as cars? It's hard to see any justification for allowing unsafe use of ANY vehicle.

If people are riding the wrong way up the road then they should be charged, shouldn't they? If that isn't enforced then maybe we need to invest more money into traffic cameras and suchlike to make sure it is.

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rode an e-Citibike in NYC a few weeks back and those things can haul ass -- and they are HEAVY. I could easily see someone being killed if they were tagged straight on with one.

10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in a house in the United States without AC and the summer temperatures regularly exceeded 100 degrees. We had fans and a swamp cooler. I obviously survived.

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No test, no license, no road rules and no insurance.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I ran red lights but only if there were no pedestrians around. It's illegal but actually safer as it gives you a head start on the cars, trucks and busses making you visible.

Biking against traffic or on the wrong side of the street is an abomination and should be enforced through summary executions. In other words it's OK for me to break the law but THOSE PEOPLE, NO!

superdave and rslfanboy repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Now that's a sentiment that I understand.

I must confess this is one topic where both sides do it. Central Park has bicycling-only streets -- no cars permitted -- that have both traffic lights and crosswalks. No biker ever obeys the light; they will always zoom through it, unless there are too many pedestrians blocking them. And no pedestrian ever walks over to use the crosswalk (if they happen to cross there, it's by sheer accident) and no pedestrian ever waits for the light to change before crossing.

To add to the collective guilt, no policeman ever admonishes any of those parties or ever makes the attempt to have the law enforced.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've tried making the bikes obey the lights a few times. But generally people feel the lights only apply when the park is open to traffic, which it hasn't been since 2018.

In tourist season you just try and stay away from the Lower Loop. Running wise I preferred the bridle path anyway, horse free since 2007.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    it’s actually fine if properly controlled and a good upside to biking that you can go against the one way.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    luftmensch repped this.
  17. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    chaski, Dr. Wankler and rslfanboy repped this.
  18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, in general e-bikes are way heavier than their human-powered counterparts, which is why we will see deaths on the roadway caused by 2-wheeler d-bags increase quite dramatically in the coming years (p = m • v). Not sure why we are waiting for those bigger numbers to be reached before enforcing some basic laws on 2-wheelers. Guess cops are too busy dealing with off-leash dogs in parks or giving out tickets to cars parked at a meter 3 minutes after their time expires.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fully agree. E-bikers act as if they are bicyclists, running lights and dodging around pedestrians in the same fashion, but they're effecively doing so while riding semi-motorcycles. Quiet ones, too. They are the biggest menace on the NYC roads, by far.

ChrisSSBB, soccernutter and BocaFan repped this.
  21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Before I left the industry, there was a pretty bad fire & smoke year in and around Yakima Valley, where lots of the hops are grown. The area is a basin, like SLC is, so they deal with inversions and trapped pollutants too.

When the hops are harvested, they have to get kiln dried pretty soon after being picked. This entails hot air being blown underneath big beds of hops that are sometimes getting turned. (Lots of controversy over doing this at the lower end of 120F or higher end of 145F.) Because of the smoke that year, there were several batches of hops we screened that picked up significant smoke aroma. The ones that were kiln dried during the worst of the smoke were unusable, unless you were making a rauch bier.

Another year temps spiked heavy in June, and then there was a wet couple of weeks in July. It really threw off hop quality and quantity for some varieties, both others did fine or even excelled. The basic gist is: it is going to be hard to predict hop quality and quantity, making the brewers of IPAs have to get even more attentive and creative to keep their beer somewhat consistent (always a struggle regardless). Wet summers in Europe have also made hop growing difficult, as pests, fungus, mold, etc... all are exacerbated.

This won't be so much a problem for non-hoppy beers.

luftmensch, Pønch, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At LAST... someone's started thinking about the REAL problems of climate change and not just this 'it's a tad warm' nonsense we keep getting.

BocaFan repped this.
  23. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Since I can't stand IPAs I'll go ahead and file this under "Climate change isn't real FOR ME"

:)

soccernutter, superdave, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  24. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Just as long as it doesn't affect the good gluten free beers! (Not that there are many of them, mind you)

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe smokey beer will take off, like Mezcal did. :coffee: