The Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NickyViola, Nov 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia has them at 220,000,000. The US is half again that.

JamesA repped this.
  2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    luftmensch, rslfanboy and dapip repped this.
  3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    According to my friends, for the first time in about 50 years it's snowing in Christchurch and Dunedin, New Zealand in October.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
  5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There have always been sections of temperate rainforest within 500 metres of where I live. Since those horrible bushfires of 2019/20 we have had 4 significant floods in the Hawkesbury Nepean river system which surrounds the Sydney basin. I live in a narrow coastal strip to the south of sydney between the Illawarra range and the ocean. The rainforest is at the base of the Illawarra escarpment. The coastal strip is only a kilometre wide where I am so we only get flash flooding from overflowing creeks. So far they've never been high enough to affect me apart from cutting off access to me street for a few hours. I don't think the current rain is heavy enough to cause a significant flood but it's definitely enough to put 4 holes of my golf course under water (again). This rain system should ease overnight but another maybe more severe is expected saturday and sunday. We have a trough bringing warm moist air from the tropics through central Australia which could be compounded by an east coast low that brings cool moist air from the south. If the east coast low does form as expected we could be in for our 5th significant flood in the Hawkesbury Nepean in 2 and half years.

The Jitty Slitter and Mike03 repped this.
  6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Oh and Sydney passed its record annual total with ease with 91mm recorded in 7 hours today. Heavier rains expected on the weekend. Today's rain mainly on the coast so the Nepean isn't flooding yet. If we get heavy rains in western and south western Sydney it is likely to flood to some extent.

7. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More flooding in Australia but this time further south with inland NSW, Victoria and Tasmania affected

‘Danger period’: Victoria and Tasmania on high flood alert as rivers rise rapidly after heavy rain | Australia weather | The Guardian

Australia news live: Victoria, Tasmania and NSW floods; mandatory Covid isolation ends today (theguardian.com)

This is the 3rd significant rainfall event in 3 weeks and it seems another is brewing for next week.

Colour Forecast map for next 4 days (bom.gov.au)

Mike03 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Meanwhile, here on Vancouver Island, our weather continues to be insane versus normal, notably October.

We're known as a rain forest type climate for a reason. And yet, we haven't seen rain now since July 3. It's really kind of scary the impacts right now.

And, I also the Alaskan Snow Crab harvest was canceled this season, fir the first time ever. The population just collapsed in an epic manner.

We are so, so ********ed.

luftmensch, Mike03, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been thinking BC. Rain seems to usually turn on like clockwork there mid September but not this year. Has to change soon!

12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yup, and the forecast still shows nothing for the next 10 days.

When it does finally rain, flooding is going to be the next problem as it's bone dry here. The ground won't soak it up fast enough.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And just to the south of you at the bottom of Puget Sound we are expecting to be 80F (27C) today, in mid-October (!), but we can't effectively go out and do anything because air quality is labelled unhealthy due to smoke (mid 150s as I wake up this morning).

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    After it finally cooled down here a month ago, I was ready to turn off my irrigation. Howeve, not a drop of rain came with that cooler weather. It's been pleasant! I'd rather have some rain.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Fires?

16. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The particulates are from fires; based on the air quality map I assume the fires are in the southwest part of the state.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

soccernutter, NORML and xtomx repped this.
  18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    NORML, xtomx and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all better fix that shit by next July otherwise I am only going to new Zealand for the world cup.

almango repped this.
  20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm certainly hoping it will stop soon. There is currently a cricket world cup going on here which is much more weather sensitive. The rains have gone around the match schedule so far with only one game being rain affected.so far out of 18.

ceezmad repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something that I didn't know.

I was under the impression that polar bear population was decreasing.

https://www.arcticwwf.org/wildlife/polar-bear/polar-bear-population/

soccernutter, Dr. Wankler and luftmensch repped this.
  22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Over the last 6 months, of the houses in my little end of the cul-de-sac, over half have either had solar panels installed or have had quotes for doing so and are seriously interested, probably intending to do it next year. I would be in the latter category but we might be moving next year and it's obviously more of a long-term investment, (certainly more than 12 months).

I don't know about the rest but I'd imagine they'll probably be making the same sorts of investments over the next 12-24 months.

I only mention this now because it all reminds me of this...

Cameron’s decision to cut ‘green crap’ now costs each household in England £150 a year

Ending onshore wind projects, solar subsidies and energy efficiency schemes has added to inflated bills, study finds

The decision by David Cameron’s government to ditch what he denounced as “green crap” policies will cost every household as much as £150 a year by the autumn, new analysis has shown.

With energy prices already soaring and bills set to rise even further this year, it suggests Cameron’s decisions to effectively end onshore wind projects in England, cut solar subsidies and slash energy-efficiency schemes played a large part in rising bills.

What with brexit and ending up with unleashing Boris johnson and Liz truss on us, we'll be paying for that fecker for several decades to come :(

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nothing that another round of tax cuts for the ultra rich won't solve...

ElNaranja, Mike03 and Sounders78 repped this.
  25. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Our family is already deciding not to fly very much, if at all.

Although I think it is possibly a bit overstated, all the same, space tourism is downright harmful, and any rocket launched better have a serious mission whose benefits are for the good of humanity, and not just a thrill ride for the ultra-wealthy and connected.