The Future of the Dutch Defense

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by astabooty, Nov 14, 2003.

1. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so who are the future of the dutch defense?
    im talking around germany '06 time. stam will be 35 i think, fdb is alrdy too old and not good enough, at times i dont think there are anything wrong with GvB or Reiziger, but i dont expect them to be there.

who are some canidates?

2. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Candidates

Well Kevin Hofland (23 years old, PSV) was the hot candidate to be CB after de Boer (he has 6 caps) but his last 18 months have been a horror show of injury and illness. He's just started playing again for PSV, hopefully he can regain his form and achieve his potential.

Other than that, Nigel de Jong and Johnny Heitenga (both 18/19 and Ajax) are highly regarded as is/was? Ruud Knol (24 or so, Vitesse) but he's also had injury problems. Maybe Jurgen Colin (PSV). David Mendes da Silva (Ajax) was highly regarded at Sparta but seems to have regressed at Ajax.

BTW, Stam has already been quoted as saying he will quit intl football after Portugal (or after the Scotland playoffs if the Oranje eff up, god forbid)

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    resit schuurman (NEC) and pascal bosschart (utrecht IIRC) are also up and comers

4. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Feyenoord has a couple young defenders (not that Feyenoord defenders are any good).

Ferne Snoyl (18) starts at left back for us, IIRC Glen Loovens is Dutch but he's loaned out somewhere this season. Patrick Paauwe isn't too old (27 now).

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hofland, De Jong, and Heitinga i already knew of. Hopefully Hofland regains his form. Just curious though, what positions do you see Heitinga and De Jong playing in the future for the NT? I am pretty sure Nigel can play on the left or right side of the defense or mid. Heitinga I always thought was a CB but now he is the new RB for Ajax (until Hatem is back) and he also played RM for them.

what about zonneveld? dutchfootballrulez always mentions him in the CM thread.

and just a side note, i guess aimed at AFCA. do you know much about Ryan Babbel or something Kaizer. I think they are a forward and defender (or mid) in the ajax youth teams and are some of the best players in Championship Manager. I know its foolish to go by that, but still interested.