The Future is Now! Ajax 2021-22 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I watched the Bayern - Villareal match yesterday. I don't think Gravenberch can start for Bayern at this point. Mazraoui, if he stays healthy, is a better RB than Pavard.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ETH appears to have agreed with ManU on a four year contract. If he is given the full four years, he might be able to sort out that mess. I don't know who Ajax will look to as the next manager. My personal choice is Marcelo Bielsa but the language problem is likely insurmountable. Heitinga has surprised me at Jong Ajax but is a bit inexperienced. Perhaps the best candidate with Ajax ties is Wim Jonk.

3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Being in the English based media you tend to only see half of guys. I literally forgot Wim was still around because of course I haven't heard of him in ages. What has he been doing?

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There was a big internal fight in 2015 IIRC and Jonk and Bergkamp lost out. Jonk is currently managing FC Vollendam in the Dutch First Division and it looks like they will get promoted to the Eredivisie.

DutchFanatic and Deadtigers repped this.
  5. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless ETH is given enough free rein and has the support of his management to allow him to rebuild over the full course of his contract, he's going to fail. In other words, he's going to fail. Not because he's a bad manager per se, but because Man U is a tough environment off the pitch.

Bielsa shat the bed at Leeds and tends to wear out his welcome wherever he goes. No thanks.

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

VI thinks he will fail

7. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I read around 2m. Not bad in a world where lots of times you pay the manager when they leave.

I'm a Bosz super-fan so I'd love to get him back. Wim Jonk back in Overmars role. That would be my dream team.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    He won't get free rein but he is going to have a major say in transfers. It was a key part of his demands. United have benefited from Ed Woodward, the president leaving and putting his buddy Richie Arnold in charge. Arnold unlike Woodward wants to be responsible for the commercial stuff but have a football guy handle the football dept. The had a DoF answer to Woodward but he was a long time admin not a guy that has coached or played at a high level. So Rangnick was brought in to be the football guy and so he will be schooling the current DoF on how to properly do his job and work with EtH on a philosophy of how to play and win. United finally looked at how others were doing it and decided to copy them.

9. Yup.I'm high on Jonk, despite my hate for anyone linked with Volendam.
    I already mentioned him as a replacement for either Ajax or PSV months ago.

BPBlueSox repped this.
  10. Nooo. Volendam must not promote.
    I'm on my way to cast my voodoo magic against it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Stekelenburg will be the keeper for the beker finale on Sunday. Good. I’d rather them lose with Stek playing than win with Onana at this point.

12. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    enlighten me to the negative vibes about Volendam? Is it just cause they tend to be tight with Ajax?

Deadtigers and DutchFanatic repped this.
  13. No, it's a hate dating back to end sixties. I watched in front of my eyes Ove Kindvall being karate kicked by Bol Jonk in his back. Ove's back since then was always a weak point. From the same time my hate for FC Utrecht stemms, then still called DOS iirc, with the same karate kick performed.

14. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ihattaren brought up to the 1st team for the cup game against PSV! Hope he gets some minutes as a sub, that would be epic and he will definitely be motivated!

15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gravenberch is better then Goretzka but the German is more of a defensive midfielder.
    I watch Bayern Munich play a lot and I’m not that impressed with a few of their players Goretzka, Sule, and Pavord.
    Mazroui should definitely slide into right back while Pavard is supposed to move centrally in place of Sule who is off to Borussia Dortmund.

16. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    oh wow. Well, I guess you’ll have twice the chance to hate on them next season. Sure looks like they’re going up.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only thing more awful than the Ajax performance was the mediocre officiating by Makkelie. He let so many reckless challenges go un-carded and didn't seem to mind that teams were getting away with so much rough play on both sides. Ajax had two goals called by by VAR for about six inch off sides but that's the way things go these days. Each team had hard shots clang off the post and Ajax conceded two junk goals yet again. When Alvarez gets subbed off the back line cannot seem to defend and Ajax were fortunate not to have conceded 1-2 more goals when he came off. Blind was rooted to the ground and let Guttierez go right past him to head in the first goal and Stekelenburg didn't move at all on Gakpo's shot when the right side of the goal was the only place he could shoot at. Missing Antony is coming back to haunt Ajax as they have nobody on the right wing who can pose any danger. ten Hag's subbing on Ihattaren was foolish as the player is nowhere near ready. Brobbey was mediocre at best and why he stayed on the field is mystifying. I don't think he can make it at Ajax.

I don't know if this team is good enough to win the league. Both AZ and Vitesse will prove challenging for this team. Ajax have to hope Feyenoord can pip points off PSV though the Rotterdam side may be more focused on Euro competition, something that PSV constantly fail at.

Player Ratings:

Stekelenburg (6) - made a couple of saves but was anchored to the pitch on the Gakpo goal
    Blind (6.5) - played decently and showed a bit more speed today than we usually see
    Martinez (6) - weak pass led to the free kick and first PSV goal
    Timber (6) - OK but nothing more
    Mazraoui (6) - had a nice goal called back and was OK until getting hurt and having to come off
    Alvazez (6) - won every ball in the air near him and helped close down the middle of the field but his offensive limitations forced a substitution
    Gravenberch (6) - wonderful first half and awful 2nd half, zoning out of matches won't be tolerated at Bayern
    Klaassen (5.5) - had a goal called back and that was the highlight of his game, he works hard but is such a limited player
    Tadic (5.5) - dispossessed too many times today and should have been subbed off but he is EtH's captain so that won't happen
    Brobbey (4) - hard to find a single good thing he did all match long and should have been carded late in the first half
    Berghuis (6) - one of the better players in possession but is not the kind of attacker Ajax needed today
    Schuurs (5.5) - didn't do much wrong on defense and had a snap shot saved
    Haller (5) - maybe it was EtH's choice to start Brobbey but Haller might have been useful when Ajax were on the front foot in the first half
    Kudus (NR) - we will only learn whether he is a solution if he starts and I don't think that happens this year
    Ihattaren (NR) - already noted that he probably should not have been subbed on

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Congrats to the Ajax ladies team who won the Beker today over PSV by the identical score of 2-1. Well done!!!

BPBlueSox repped this.
  19. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Extremely frustrating match to watch... PSV were way better coached and organized. Ajax looked toothless. Maybe I'm overreacting but just a few thoughts...

* Brobbey is not an Ajax player. He offered virtually zero. Never in the right place for long passes. Doesn't drop back into possession well. No more.

* Klassen just isn't good enough. He's a decent last 20 min need a goal option. But he does not have enough quality to play in an Ajax MF. Our days of consistently playing guys like him should be over. If he continues to play a lot, we're going no where.

* The MF in general just isn't up to it. Gravenbersch I think is very good (and still just 19!!) but he's gone. Is Kudus a solution? His touch has been horrendous in this short cameos (why wasn't he brought on sooner?). Maybe Taylor will be ready next year. But Ajax desperately need a transfer for 1, maybe 2 ready to go MFs.

* I'm sounding like a broken record but against a low block, Alvarez just offers nothing going forward. He's a CB. I'd consider flipping him and Timber next season if both are back. Timber's passing is just so much better. I'd also sell high on Alvarez and use that money to buy a good MF.

* Tadic needs to go back centrally. Either as the 9 or as a 10 (Although that'd be an issue defensively). He's just too old on the wings against good teams. I'm still confused why he doesn't play the 9 anymore. The best Ajax games in decades were Tadic as a 9.

* This team really, really missed Antony. He can make things happen out of no where. The different between him and Berghuis is enormous. They also desperately need another winger. Total failure by Overmars to transfer Neres and get nothing back on the wing. It seems like Daramy just isn't ready?

* Mazraoui was really good but of course got hurt. I'll miss his level of play but man, you cannot rely on the guy to get through a week without getting hurt. Good luck to Bayern/Barca/wherever he goes.

Lots of issues with this team that a well-coached, organized team like PSV exploited. Maybe I'm reaching but it feels like with a new coach coming, there will be massive changes.

Deadtigers, BPBlueSox and Orange14 repped this.
  20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @wynaldaisagod - perceptive analysis and pretty much in accord with my thoughts. Tadic is no longer a 90 minute player and perhaps a new trainer will recognize this. He signed a long term contract after the CL run and wants to get his trainer's license at Ajax. I have no issues with that. I don't know if you remember the debacle at the end of the 2016 season when they only needed a draw against de Grafschaap. This was FdB's last match and they laid a huge egg. Klaassen was rubbish in that game and I was glad to see him move on. His only value is making runs into the box and snatching an occasional goal. He plays his heart out but is just not good enough. Bringing him back was not a good idea but Overmars made just as many mistakes as good choices when he was technical director.

I think Taylor is the real deal and have been disappointed he did not get many minutes this year. Don't know about Kudus as he was hurt most of last year and needs to start some matches so we can see if he can make it. I'm disappointed that Gravenberch is leaving at such a young age and don't know if he can make it at Bayern. They won't put up with sulking players.

If they don't win the league, there's going to be a huge turnover because CL football is not assured. I think qualifiers will start in July and I don't see the level of talent to make it through however many rounds they would have to play. I honestly can't see PSV doing much in the CL if they win. van Nistleroy is an unproven manager and I expect Gakpo to be sold on this summer. Their defense is horrible which is why they are out of Europe.

The more I look at things, it was the players and not ten Hag that got to the CL semifinals. They had a great midfield and de Ligt was huge in defense.

I'll have a longer postmortem when the season ends. I hope Ajax can hold on and win out but they really miss Antony. I would move Berghuis back to MF and start Daramy this Saturday.

wynaldaisagod repped this.
  21. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Unfortunately I do remember the '16 disaster. Looking back though with the run that was right after that might've been the best thing to happen to the club.

Agree with all of this. The '19 run was about having an incredibly talented roster moreso than anything ten Hag did. I think EtH is a good manager but nothing special. His style of play is almost too cautious. I'd welcome back someone like Bosz who plays with higher risk/reward.

Netherlands has the 7th UEFA country ranking so they enter the 3rd round of qualifying next season. It'd be first 2 weeks of August then ANOTHER round. Lots of that will depend on the opponent. Also-- With Russia banned, I'm not sure how that would effect CL qualification.

538 still gives Ajax a 94% chance to win the league. A 4pt lead with 5 left is fairly big in the Eredivisie. I feel pretty good about it-- PSV would have to go 5-0-0 for them to have any shot. Even then, Ajax has 4 pt cushion and GD.

When I have more time, I'm going to really dive deep into the post-CL transfer windows. But to be quite blunt: they've been an absolute disaster when you consider how much Ajax got for de Ligt, Donny, Frenkie, Dolberg, Ziyech, Dest etc.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Some of this money went to get Antony and Haller.

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Absolutely no surprise that EtH move to ManU has now been confirmed. Ajax to receive about €2M in compensation. van der Gaag is also moving with him. If Ajax do not win the league and secure CL football it will make recruitment of a new manager difficult.

24. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Yep plus Martinez was a great transfer.

All taken from transfermarkt just year by year since the CL run. Just doing the bigger transfers:

19/20 (+158m Euro)

IN: Promes (15.7), Alvarez (15), Marin (12.5), Martinez (7), Pierie (5) -- Babel/Varela loans

OUT: de Jong (86), de Ligt (85.5), Kasper (20.5), Wober (10.5), Sinkgraven (5), Kristensen (5), de Wit (2), Schöne (1.5)

This window was an incredible opportunity for Ajax-- and I think they did OK. Alvarez/Martinez were very good guys. Marin was a total zero, Promes was horrendous without Ziyech. Kik just isn't going to play for Ajax. The loans were bad.

Selling wise, this sounds nuts but if Frankie didn't agree in Winter '19 to go to Barca, I think we would have gotten 100+ for him. Kasper felt like selling low but he was done at that point.

Overall, I think this was fine. Not a disaster but could have been much better.

20/21 (+46m Euro)

IN: Haller (22.5), Anthony (15.75), Klaassen (11.7), Kudus (9), Klaiber (4.25), Steklenberg (free), Idrissi loan

OUT: Ziyech (40), Donny (39), Dest (21), Promes (8.5), Veltman (1)

Haller/Anthony transfers were brilliant. However not registering Haller for Europa does downgrade that a little. Klaassen I still don't understand. Kudus jury is out. Klaiber was just lighting money on fire. Idrissi was terrible.

I thought Overmars got good value for all the guys leaving especially Dest. Getting anything for Promes was a very good move.

Overall-- not a disaster but again tons of money in and some questionable spends. I do think COVID totally screwed Ajax though in terms of selling the big 3 they lost.

21/22 (+24m).

IN: Daramy (12), Berghuis (5.5), Gorter (1), Pasveer (free), Brobbey/Ihattaren (loans)

OUT: Neres (12), Traore (10), Marin (6.7), Lang - officially moved (6), Scherpen (5), Eklelkamp (3), Eiting, Brobbey (free)

It was clear Ajax needed some reinforcements and all they really got of value was Berghuis. Losing Brobbey on a free was bad. Lang was pretty much given away (4x value now). Neres sold at his lowest value (could have moved him for 40m).

Maybe not as bad as I thought it was. Was going to be impossible to keep the talent level up to 18/19 standard. But really feels like some giant missed chances.

The 'winter attacking' transfers have been just awful and killed Ajax in the European knockout stages.

BPBlueSox and Orange14 repped this.
  25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, I think that other than Neres, Ajax maxed out on getting good value from players. Some of the incoming transfers were not as good. I never rated Klaassen highly when he came up and became club captain. His touch is just not very good. He does make good runs and scores with regularity but the downsides to his game outweigh that. Werder Bremen used him as a holding MF in a double pivot during the time he was there. He also played some holding MF at Ajax.

If Ihattaren can get his game together that will be a huge pickpu as Ajax have an option to buy at rock bottom price. We'll see who ends up leaving this summer. A lot of key players are under contract for at least 2-3 seasons longer. It's too bad Perie was injured at Twente as we have no clue how good he is.