The Future at Centre half for the Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, May 15, 2011.

1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    What do we do here?

At times, Djourou has looked like our best defender.
    At times, Koscielny has looked like our best defender.
    Vermaelen is almost a guaranteed starter next season.

Yet, all i read is how we are going to be in the market for a CB.
    Who is our 4th choice then (assuming a #1 is brought in)?

The only CB who has been terrible has been Squillaci, and he will almost certainly be gone next year.
    I feel like our problem isn't the CB position, it is our team's philosophy regarding defending (or lack there of).

Should a new CB be a priority in the offseason?

2. pawn

pawn Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Waltham, MA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The better question is why do you even have No as an option???

3. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    excellent contribution.

4. -apoc-

-apoc- Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I voted no based on we need someone a bit like Song that can cover both spots or at least cover DM if Song had to move back to CB. I am fine with our top 3 CB's plus even the Bartley/Miguel option for 4th/5th assuming Song dropping back is our 4th choice CB.

I think a winger and a DM are more of a priority though and possibly a striker. Individually there is nothing wrong with our top 3 CB's (in the sense that they are good enough) they just need to learn to work together better and that is an off the field solution like bring in a new defensive coach. I think who leaves this summer dictates out moves more than anything though aside from we should bring in a new DM to backup/challenge Song and give us more cover in CB.

5. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We will have more injuries at that position next season. Squillachi hasnt shown enough quality to contribute to a winning team over a number of games so yes a CB is a big must for me and not just for depth, we need a quality commanding leader.

We also need midfield and forward re-enforcements so it isnt as simple as stating that a CB should be a priority imo.

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005

We need players everywhere, except maybe CM and GK, and maybe there too.

7. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    i think we all know this though scally.
    i am just thinking of limited funds available, and they should go towards a wide guy (hazard), and a midfielder.

if we were to get a CB, my list is.

Samba, Cahill, Douglas, Sakho.

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I haven't watched as much Arsenal this year as I normally do, and I haven't seen Djourou play a really good game. Lots here have said he has, so I yield to collective wisdom, but I don't think he's good enough to be our number 3. We have to expect that Vermaelen will take a while to get to full strenght, and Djourou has a history of being hurt. I like Kos as a third, and he'll get plenty of playing time, but I think we need a better CB than either Kos or TV. If we can get a truly fine CB, I think it would be our highest priority. If it's just bringing in another squaddie, well then no, it's not a priority.

Actually, our priority should be in bringing in some A list talent. I don't care where, really. The only place we are strong enough is in central mid, but everywhere else we have to get better. Or we're just headed for more of the same.

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like both Kos and Djourou, but neither did enough this season to be locked into next season's starting lineup. I'd like to see Wenger try to bring in another top defender for a solid four man rotation, but i also don't think it's our top priority. A winger/striker with speed and another defensive mid seem like more pressing concerns.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm counting on Bartley, myself. Best case scenario - he'll be 4th choice and be one-hell-of-a better 4th choice than Squillaci has been this season.

That being said, if AW can find a guy he likes, and is willing to pay for, we should buy. Non-committal enough for you?

By the way, if we had Samba this season - we may have won the title.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    good question, phishy. i'd like to see the addition of a top flight, guaranteed starter (and slide koscielny/djourou to 3rd/4th) but i'm not sure wenger would be willing to buy somebody to put ahead of bartley.

someone like vertonghen, if he is good enough, who can cover both central defense and central midfield might be ideal.

12. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will never happen, and I have no idea who it would be, but I want somebody who rivals Vidic. This team needs a stud or two.

13. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    while we need another CB, i think the priority this summer has to be with another winger/attacker and defensive midfielder.

for the most part this year, our dropped points are from us not scoring and creating opportunities against the teams that sit back and put 10 behind the ball.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    True indeed God. BTW there's a huge difference btw passing the ball with intent and just passing the ball because hey that seems like the thing to do. I watched Ajax who along with Barca and ourselves are allegedly kindred teams in spirit and the difference was striking. We're sooo slow and ponderous with no real intent in the attacking half. Everything gets bogged down and all we have is a bunch of passes to nowhere. Get me a winger and a striker STAT. Gotta switch up that mix pronto.

15. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    If Ivanovic has not signed a new deal then I would do just about anything to get him from Chelsea. He is the classy CB that we need desperately but I suspect Chelsea will pay him huge to keep the player. So, that leaves us with other fringe possibilities like Samba and maybe Upson, an Arsenal product who could be reunited. He is better than Kos and Djorou. I see Bartley as a cover for Song next season if Song stays.

So, I hope we can have TV5 + New Guy in the back as starters and Kos, Djorou as backups. Miquel and Bartley as emergency players/ CC players.

16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    There is no assurances that the Vermanator will be back to anywhere near his level next season, we cant go into a season with question marks over the 3 defenders.

While i think Koscielny will develop and become a starter we need someone to partner him that is a big strong solid CB that can head the ball clear from corners. Someone that can be physically imposing.

So in my humble opinion, yes we need another CB.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    samba would be nice and that douglas looks decent too phsihy

we need another big cunner as we have 2 footballing cbs in kos and verm

maybe bartley can be that guy? or could miquel step up?

18. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While that has cost points the failure of the CBs has really hurt us and while not as needed as a new Dmid, wide man, and possibly another forward, it is clearly an area where some investment could make a significant difference. Kos and Djourou had their moments of joy and terror over the season and I don't want to leave out how hard it is to play in front of keepers you lack faith in. Give me a tall CB who can dominate the box with heading, positioning, and strength (don't care if he is not good on the ball since we have more than enough of that in the team) and maybe offer some scoring off of corners to play with Verm (who I'm hoping will be back to his best come August, his scoring has also been missed) with Kos and Djourou as backups and we'll be fine at CB. I think there are a decent number of CB around that meet those requirements so this is one area where a mid range price might be possible. Squillaci must go. Wenger should start some of the young CBs or maybe Song/new Dmid before ever letting Squillaci play again.

Upson is not even as good as Djourou or KOS and has no place at a club even hoping for a Europa league spot. Have you watched him play at all the last couple of seasons?

19. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    It should be the highest priority, IMO. So yes.

Kos and JD simply aren't good enough yet and we need a strong, commanding CB in the mould of Sakho.

20. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    i like the responses fellas.. seems a ******** off, no-nonsense CB is what everyone craves.

21. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    The plan-

1) new CB to be bought
    2) Verm, Kos or Djourou to partner him
    3) Bartley for all Carling Cup/easy games (5th choice, but up 3rd or 4th choice if he's really good)

22. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Getting a new CB: Super important? Yes. Top Priority? Almost.

Give me a Samba on the cheap and I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

Or Vertonghen for whatever it takes. Just don't forget to get us somebody who can put the ball in the ********ing net and plays on the left wing.

23. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say no.

I like the three guys we have and I think all 3 will be in place next season to make the CB position a non issue for us. As far as our 4th defender goes, I'm not opposed to giving Squil another shot, but at the same time it makes me nervous. Hopefully Bartley will be ready to contribute a la Wilshere. If not I wouldn't mind a young defender with some upside coming in to provide depth and nothing more.

Realistically, anyone who's good enough to start will cost in or around 10m. There's no point in spending that much for depth when there's other pressing issues in the squad like an attacking midfielder or potentially a striker with serious pace.

24. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    that was my feel as well.
    if we had a huge amount of money, then my answer would be yes.

25. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The way I see it:

(1) New left back (Clichy is 100% no longer acceptable, and Gibbs still needs to prove himself).

(2) New wingers (more than 1 if possible, none of the wingers we have at the moment have been "good" this season)

(3) New defensive mid (cover for Song/replace Song)

(4) New striker/strikers (replacement for Bendtner and/or Chamakh)

(5) New right back (Eboue is no longer acceptable as cover for Sagna)

(6) New center defender

How I would priorities our needs at the moment, from most important to nice to have but not as important. Really, Kos and Djourou has been nowhere near as bad as what many have made them out to be this season. There are games where they look dodgy and like Silvestre in disguse, but you could say the same about Vidic, Smalling, Terry, Luiz and pretty much any of the center backs of our opponents bar maybe Kompany (probably the best defender in the league this season).