The FC Dallas Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Feb 7, 2020.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we perhaps disagree on A) how good Sealy is and B) how invested PSV are in him. I really like Sealy, and I also think that PSV wouldn't take him on loan unless they were really interested in him.

I don't like that Dallas is letting them take him on loan without buying him, but it's worked with Richards and Che, so they probably think it's a winning formula at this point, and if PSV treats the loan like Bayern has treated theirs, the option to buy will be nothing but a formality.

dougtee repped this.
  2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think Sealy has a ton of potential. We'll see on the rest of it, but I will be happier if the final price tag is not insubstantial. Nothing like an investment to make people care about a player. :)

TarHeels17 repped this.
  3. Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Nov 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that PSV has an established history of paying mid-single-digits+ millions of dollars for prospects. It's not like a potential Sealy deal would be setting new precedent for them (like it would for a club like Boavista).

gogorath repped this.
  4. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Why would a club like PSV invite a winger to multiple training stints who "isn't incredibly skilled"?

dougtee and twoolley repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #2105 gogorath, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Dante Sealy is not incredibly skilled. Don't take my word for it -- ask @ussoccer97531 or @David Kerr or @bpet15 or anyone.

He's super, super athletic and decently skilled. I like him better than a straight lottery ticket but I think PSV is looking at his potential. Teams like that generally will take on guys as part of a portfolio investments -- Sealy could be a star, but you wouldn't want to bet on him. Of course, if they pay like $6M for him, that's a different story.

If it is something like $1M + sell on or something ... I suspect they will run him with the rest of their prospects ... but it'll be sink or swim to a certain extent. But perhaps PSV operates differently.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say very but not incredibly. Dante Sealy undoubtedly has the sauce but is extremely inconsistent. One game he’ll look like a player capable of playing with the PSV first team and then the next game he’ll look like a player that doesn’t even get off the bench at Jong PSV. Once he matures and finds a more sustained form he could be a very good player which is likely what PSV are betting on. I’d price him between $1-2 million based off potential but anything more than that is a huge stretch

But will Dante Sealy be worth the non EU salary premium that PSV will have to spend on him? PSV took that gamble and lost with Chris Gloster already. Who knows if it will pay off after Richie Ledezma’s injury. Will Dante be worth as much on the books as their other first team contributors?

7. At the moment Dante Sealy is on a second probe training stage, according to PSV watcher Elfrink:
    upload_2021-6-2_16-57-14.png
    Given it's the 2nd time and most likely they've been watching him since his first probe, they see potential.
    However he must show that during that 2nd stage invitation, that he has improved since the last time.

eliwood, SCSAutism, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  8. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I never saw what others did in Gloster, and I am not surprised that the club let him leave. Ledezma on the other hand has been very unfortunate because his stock was really beginning to rise. To me, Sealy leans more toward Ledezma in terms of potential. Of course time will tell, but his first training stint was very successful in which scored in a U19 friendly as a 16 year old. We'll see.

9. I dunno if he has a EU passport, but if not it will require a paychecque of 150% of the average Eredivisie salary for U20 players, which has bumped up the last few years due to Ajax and PSV paying higher wages to foreign stars like Götze.
    No loopholes possible. The wage paid by PSV or the original club must comply with the Non-EU rule.

eliwood and jeff_adams repped this.
  10. KeaneO16

KeaneO16 Member

Manchester United
    France
    Mar 4, 2020
    Any idea what the actual number is? 150% of "average Eredivisie" salary doesn't sound like it would be very much, unless they're limiting it to players who got X number of actual minutes in the Eredivisie. If that's the average (mean? median?) of anyone who's currently being paid professional wages by a team in the Eredivisie, it doesn't seem like it could be all that high.

11. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    There are two numbers in play. An over 20 number and an under 20 number. Last time I was involved with a player (a few years ago) in that situation, the over 20 number was in the 400k Euro range and the under 20 number was in the 200k Euro range. I believe it is a set number and not a percentage of other salaries. I am sure the number has gone up in the past couple of years.

KeaneO16 repped this.
  12. I dunno if there was a change during the covid period, I can't find one.
    The last one I can find is 291,000 €€, applicable for the 2019-2020 season.
    So for an U20 player that would mean a minimum wage of 435,000€€
    and for 20+ players 582,000 €€.

13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also was under the belief that it was a set number. But I know in USD it was more than 250k for u20 and 500k for 20 and older. Sadly this means that unless you’re on a loan and your parent club pays the salary, non EU Americans will rarely get a chance at the mid-low table eredivise clubs

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Historically that wasn't the case, plenty of young Americans went there even in pre Michael Bradley - Robbie Rogers time.

15. Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Nov 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q&A about Justin Che starting at 8:45. Key quote, imo: "Seeing him in camp, he's incredibly talented. I think everyone here can vouch how surprised [we are that] he's coming in at such a young age and even making a case to start against Switzerland, because he's such a technical centerback."

gogorath repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread's nemesis Jara makes the "Stock Down" list lol

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/stock-up-stock-down-in-mls-so-far-in-2021

[​IMG]
    Franco Jara

Stock down · FC Dallas

Franco Jara very well may spark FC Dallas out of last place in the Western Conference, but their DP striker has just one goal and one assist through seven games. When he opened his 2021 account from the penalty spot during a 2-2 draw with Real Salt Lake, FCD fans hoped it would mark the start of a goal-scoring spree for their big arrival of last summer. He even had eight shots (three on target) next week against Colorado, but couldn't finish in a 3-0 loss.

With pressure and criticism mounting his way, the 32-year-old Argentine looks like a player who is desperate to score. Head coach Luchi Gonzalez will be hoping that Jara can wind back the clock to his time at Liga MX side Pachuca, where he was scoring goals for fun. Who knows, maybe he’s been saving up his goals for the summer months.

Pegasus, Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Nov 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is he's definitely not the worst contract in MLS anymore. Per The Athletic today: "Mas told The Athletic that midfielder Blaise Matuidi will make between $13 and $14 million over the course of his two-and-a-half year contract with Miami. Miami is paying Matuidi on average between $5.2 and $5.6 million per year..." for a below MLS average CM.

gogorath, xbhaskarx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Pl@ymaker and xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He could get injured. I suspect he’ll train until he’s sold or not sold. At that point, he’ll start playing games again.

bballshawn repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
  23. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
  24. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Cerrillo has played 40 minutes since 2020.

Dallas might be wrong, but it is obvious they don't think he his much of a prospect or player worth investing in short or long-term. He turns 21 in October, so he isn't really that young any more either.

25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    So...

Tessmann pomykal and Pepi have seen players come in to their spots. Obviously competition is paramount, but Dallas seem to have no idea what they want to be. Other than selling players who either haven’t played for their first team or played a handful of games.

bballshawn and USSoccerNova repped this.