The FC Dallas Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Feb 7, 2020.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Use this thread for all FC Dallas youth talk. The talk has been suffocating up other threads on this forum lately.

thedukeofsoccer, Sandon Mibut and bpet15 repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Love what FC Dallas is doing but it dominates almost every conversation in this forum.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not a word about Pomykal?

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the other clubs in MLS should take note... That should be the standard for all clubs across the league.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The player who I think will make a jump this season for FCD is Thomas Roberts.
    He'd seem to be the backup to Pomykal in that "free 8" role. He will hopefully get all of Jacori Hayes' minutes.

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I would kill to see Pomykal and Roberts playing together in the same midfield for at least a couple of games this season.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it should be the standard for clubs that don't have the market or sugar daddy to compete, and the league should abolish catchment areas to accomodate these organizations as well as league academies in general.

9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Roberts has extremely fast twitch movements. His ability to change direction quickly is extremely good.

If he gets some GAM strength, could be a very exciting prospect.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't really thought of him as a great athlete, just good enough. Maybe Holden is a facsimilie.

The other simple improvement he could make is to not be left-foot dominant. At least make short passes just as easily w/ his right.

But that every touch video in the Bayern u23 friendly was very impressive, spraying the ball all over the yard, and mucking things up for the opponent.

I'd love to see cm's of Roberts, Pomykal, and Servania w/ front lines that include both Ferreira and Pepi, with Cannon at the back. Should be an even more entertaining follow this season, and clear gem from a US standpoint.

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He’s not a fast sprinter or anything, but has very fluid hips. Good in tight spaces.

He’s probably 130 lbs soaking wet, so I hope he can put on a little bit of mass.

12. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I think FCD should be actively seeking a loan for Roberts. He needs to get on field at a higher level than USL-1. He may very well get some time with the first team this year, but looks like he is behind Santos, Pomykal, Acosta, Ferriera, Servania and Cerrillo. Pomykal and Ferreira can both play the #10 and the other four can play 6 or 8.

I’m a bit higher on him right now than I have been in the past, but he needs match time and plenty of it.

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #13 ielag, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Roberts is in zero competition with Cerrillo

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Roberts is a talented player, but incredibly inconsistent. I hate to compare him to Pomykal because that’s the player right in front of him on the depth chart, but I think they are very similar in their skill sets. The difference being that Pomykal was always incredibly consistent at youth level. Roberts would put in some excellent performances as a #10, but has any many completely anonymous performances. He’s not as pro ready as Pomykal at the same age.

He’ll need to be eased into a role, but he does have some talent.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    #15 don Lamb, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Neither are Acosta or Santos (apparently). And given their flexibility, it is conceivable that six of those seven players could be on the field at the same time (Ferreira as a 9, Pomykal on a wing, Santos at center back). The odd man out would likely be Cerrillo, assuming Acosta is ahead of him as a defensive midfielder. That scenario even still leaves room for Badji!! (If Badji actually sees a lot of minutes this year for FCD, I'll lost it.)

Roberts actually addresses a pretty big need for FCD as he is one of only a couple of potential central playmakers. Ferreira and Pomykal are really the only other options, and I really hope that Ferreira can be more of a 9 or wing option and that Luchi has the courage to play with two play makers in the three man midfield (should be more than doable given Pomykal's two-way ability and Roberts' growth in that area).

Edit: Apparently Badji is no longer with Dallas. Fantastic news.

16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be amazing if he sees any minutes for FCD since he plays for Nashville [emoji16][emoji16]

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's hard to know the depth chart right now.
    Note that all of Servania, Pomykal, and Acosta are out at the moment. In an interview Luchi mentioned he hoped to have Pomykal back in full training by the end of this week. He said Servania will take a couple more weeks.

Ferreira played as the #10 in their friendly against Austin this past weekend. That, of course, is something Luchi did a lot of this past season when Pomykal was out.

The midfield was crowded last season, and Jacori Hayes got ~1000 minutes due to international callups, injuries, squad rotation, etc. If Thomas Roberts gets those 1000 minutes plus time spent away with the U20s, I'd be happy with that progress. Yes, he probably will still get NTSC minutes when the whole midfield contingent is healthy and available. But when is that exactly?

We must force ourselves to remember that he is only 18 years old after all.

WheezingUSASupport and don Lamb repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprisingly impressed with Dante Sealy at the scrimmage yesterday. He's grown a lot and id very fluid, can dribble and seemingly made all the right decisions. He looks like Kellyn Acosta if your not paying close attention. If you look closer he's actually slightly taller and a bit thicker.

USSoccerNova and TarHeels17 repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good idea. Wish there were more info on other teams and hopefully a few more will evolve into needing their own thread.

20. Hiddy Ho

Hiddy Ho New Member

Dortmund
    Germany
    Feb 5, 2019
    Wonder if Dallas overpaid some of these newer homegrowns without a clear plan on getting them 1st team playing time. Roberts six figure salary ($140k ish in total compensation) may be difficult to unload on a loan especially since he spent a lot of time playing on NTXSC. Now he has even more experienced/better competition to beat out to get first team minutes.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nah. I'd argue that should be the going rate for a USYNTer in MLS.
    If they want to compete on the World market anyway. With the top of the top garnering >$200k.

Dante Sealy got >$100k as a 15 year old that had no chance of playing first team soccer.

Its amazing what the salaries are for mediocre foreign players in the league. And yet we register concern about giving young domestic players those salaries. [Not a shot at you. :) This is a general thing.] Thomas Roberts at $140k was nothing for FCD. Edwin Gyasi was on $720k. Who? Exactly. A Ghanaian international (capped 5 times) they loaned from CSKA Sofia that was invisible.

One should ask why Paxton Pomykal was on a 4 times lower salary than Pablo Aranguiz. Aranguiz won Young Player of the Year the previous season in Chile, and Pax flat out beat him to a starting job. FCD loaned Pablo back to Chile, where he'll likely remain.

Pegasus repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  23. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    #23 bpet15, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    I am fine with others having a different opinion of Roberts, people always see things a bit differently. However, he played over 1,110 minutes last year with NTSC and had 2 goals and 0 assists. That is just over 12 full matches worth of minutes with very little output for a creative type attacking midfielder. Those numbers will have to improve at the USL 1 level before he is considered for legitimate minutes with the first team.

Someone mentioned above that they don't see any competition for minutes with Cerrillo, but I disagree with the fluidity of central midfield players in Luchi's system. In order for Roberts to pick up minutes, he is going to have to show that he is more than just a creative 10. He needs to be able to defend put in the work on that side of the ball, all while increasing his goal and assist numbers. Many of FCD central midfield players are very versatile and can play 2 of the 3 central midfield positions. Roberts need to get to that level of versatility if he doesn't have the statistics to get into the team as strictly an attacking midfielder. By contrast, Servania got 2 goals and 3 assists in nearly the same number of minutes with the first team as Roberts did in USL, and that was playing as a 6 or an 8. Servania is probably the one FCD central midfield player that can play any of the 3 CM positions. This will greatly benefit him when match day squads are being selected.

Luchi has said many times that this season is geared more toward results now that his playing style has been implemented. To me, this means being more pragmatic on the road where a point can be valuable, but it also means putting players on the field that can achieve desired results, even if it means abandoning the style of play for chunks of a match. Roberts can push for a spot for sure, but I don't expect a huge uptick in first team minutes for him, which is why I'd like to see him go out on loan. (I admittedly have no idea if the date has passed for them to do that)

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sometimes statistics don't tell the story. Paxton Pomykal has a total of 2 goals and 2 assists in his entire pro soccer career. Brandon Servania has 3 goals and 2 assists. Those two are now capped USMNT internationals.

We'll see. Roberts is only 18 after all.
    And I'm not particularly impressed with Cerrillo. So for me, its Cerrillo who's sorta the odd man out.

The reason that some have highlighted Roberts' good play this pre-season is that HE IS showing more of an aptitude to being a 2-way player. Luchi has had good things to say about him.

With the complete disappearance of Blaine Ferri from Planet Earth, and Tanner Tessman's decision that he really wants to be a place kicker, we can also see Roberts as being a key player in central midfield for the US U20s. So he could be gone quite a bit on international duty himself.

Calling BS repped this.
  25. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Completely agree.

2 goals and 5 assists in 2141 minutes (involved in a goal every 3 games)
    Roberts was involved in a goal every 6 games in USL

I agree with this as well and hope he continues to show he can play on both sides of the ball. It will serve him well.

Which could be a huge confidence booster for him if he plays well. I've seen many a player come back from a good International tournament and really kick on.