[The FA Cup] Reading vs The Arsenal [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Paul.eta, Apr 14, 2015.

1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there are a lot of fans that go nearly all the games, i've met them in Bad Waltersdorf and seen them in Hanoi. In the dozen or so European away trips i've done i've seen Bully once or maybe twice. That's not a criticism as most people have commitments which make those trips difficult. But, he does have a dicey reputation among those who do go to all the games. Maybe it's jealously, but more likely it's because he's been known to get out of control and cause scenes. Meanwhile, i've seen guys like Baz (Half-Kit) and Frank Stubbs around on every away trip i've ever made.

BIGHMW and 49undefeated repped this.
  2. 49undefeated

49undefeated Member

Apr 15, 2015
    New Barnet
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well that reputation is justified, I wasn't sure how well versed anyone would be on here but it appears at least someone is! ;)

antifan repped this.
  3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably less die hard than many fans in the states, but i've been lucky enough to be able to travel for preseason games and European away trips. After ten years of going over once or twice a year you get to know the usual suspects. The only European trip i remember seeing Bully at was in Marseille a few years ago and i was leery of him. Saw him again in NYC and he seemed alright there. I think he was basking in his newfound celebrity with fans asking for pictures and buying him drinks.

49undefeated repped this.
  4. 49undefeated

49undefeated Member

Apr 15, 2015
    New Barnet
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When in Rome... :D

antifan repped this.
  5. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What traditionally is kickoff time for the final? I will be driving back from vacation in NC and need to figure out a spot to watch this. The only time given that I can find for kick off is "tbd". Isn't 5pm Wembley time about what I should expect?

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 3:00 pm BST last year.

7. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, last year, we won the FA Cup and ended our 9-year-long trophy drought, I hope we will be wearing our primary "Forever" red/white kits for the Finals against Villa, unless they are the designated home team in wich case they would be wearing their Claret/sky blue kits, because when we last successfully defended the Cup back in 2003 (at Millennium Stadium as the new Wembley was being built of the very ground were the old one was before) we were wearing our home red/white and beat Southampton 1-0 thanks to a goal by Robert Pires and fine goalkeeping by David Seaman and I believe that we were the last club to successfully retain the Cup, so I hope the boys will take that into mind when they step onto the pitch at Wembley on May 30th. COYF'n'G!!! Win THIS one for The Invincibles!!! We won it last year for Pat Rice, Bob Wilson, George Graham, Charlie George, John Radford, and the rest of the boys from the double-winning season in 1971, so it's now time to win this one for Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Dennis Bergkamp, Edu, Gilberto, Sylvain Wiltord, David Seaman, and a then-injured Patrick Vieira and the rest of the gang from back in 2003!!! #RetainTheFACup #COYG #GoArsenal #UpTheGuns :)

darcgun repped this.
  8. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How about they just win it for this current generation... going back to back is a big deal in any sport.

9. 49undefeated

49undefeated Member

Apr 15, 2015
    New Barnet
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Traditionally it's 3pm but given TV dictates everything in sport it was 5pm our time last season. Expect it to be the same again.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So anti, u are as big of a fan as bully? He's usually at the away games in the league on that youtube channel and seems passionate about the side

When ur rich with no responsibility u can go on many trips ;)

11. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    shit performance but we won, it's all that counts.

And i dont' feel for Federici, i cannot as a Gooner lol..

Villa will be difficult, no less because Sherwood is ex-them manager, and they haven't won the FA Cup in over 60 years...a llloooooong ********ing time to not win it. I expect us still to win though.

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did i say anything about being a bigger fan than anyone? I just said i happen to have met a lot of the die hard fans in my travels. But yes, there are some fans out there that make sure to stick their face on youtube every time they go to an away match. Does that make them a bigger fan than a guy like JW who goes to just about every match from the u-19s to the Ladies? Or a bigger fan then a guy like Jeff L who helps hundreds of Gooners get face value tickets every year? To me those guys are the true legends, not the guys who are leveraging their fandom to promote themselves.

Shen-O, mebeSajid, DeltaSig and 4 others repped this.
  13. 49undefeated

49undefeated Member

Apr 15, 2015
    New Barnet
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^ Bingo.

I'm at most away games and often see Arsenal Fan TV around, the fact I choose to not promote myself like Bully, Claude and Ty doesn't make me a bigger fan than them, similarly them being on a podcast talking (largely) irrelevant poo after every away match doesn't make them a bigger fan than those who go every week and choose to stay in the shadows.

This is what I meant when I said I don't understand the obsession with these celebrity fans, there are plenty more like them who don't get on TV every week

darcgun and thebigman repped this.
  14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but here in the US, you don't see those people at the pub, or at the ground, so you're left with the ones you see on TV and youtube. After a while i guess you feel like you know them.

I don't listen to podcasts or watch fans being interviewed on youtube, but it seems like i'm in the minority there. I have my own opinions, and if i want to talk about them, i usually do it here, in relative anonymity.

49undefeated repped this.
  15. 49undefeated

49undefeated Member

Apr 15, 2015
    New Barnet
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well that perfectly explains what I asked before. Thanks, antifan!

16. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They mae food viewing though...especially Ty/Claude. and Moh is good too.

17. 49undefeated

49undefeated Member

Apr 15, 2015
    New Barnet
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think that's what it's intended to be as you say. Doesn't make them superfans though.

I have met Moh at a couple of games and he is a very intelligent bloke - forgot to mention him. The only thing I have remotely enjoyed was the Wenger debate podcast he had with GeoffArsenal on Twitter, who is a staunch AKB. Was fantastic if only because Geoff had no answers to Moh :D

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like his"You don't sing enough, therefore i'm a bigger fan" media campaign. The "I'm a bigger fan" dick measuring contest gets so tiresome. Happens all over, we are all guilty of it (including me), but it's lame.

19. 49undefeated

49undefeated Member

Apr 15, 2015
    New Barnet
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His SuperFan Stock did crash after that, if only because of his annoying voice :D some people can start songs, some can't. That's life.

20. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some people just want to watch the match and not sing about rvp being a ********, among other crap the away fans come up with.

Like it's fine, but they all need to ditch the patronizing crap.

21. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Here in the US the patronizing fans are the worst. One guy got in my face cause I wore a Marseille shirt to the bar. LOL its whatever man.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    you aint neva lie

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was he a psg fan or something Dutch?

24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have no idea what the last two pages of this thread was about.

25. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marseille currently play in Ligue 1 in France, I guess PSG fans hate them as much as we hate Tottenham. It's almost like me wearing one of my VfL Wolfsburg shirts into a place where mostly Bayern fans hang out at and being called a "plastic" fan because of their ownership by Volkswagen, but yes, VfL Wolfsburg do have tons of $$$ and they can afford to go after some of the big boys like Bas Dost, Kevin DeBruyne, and former Gunner Nicklas "Lord" Bendtner, and their spending spree never ends, but now I'm afraid of the fact that if Die Woelfe and The Gunners wind up being drawn in the same group in the 2015-16 UEFA Champions League season I might have to pretty much be neutral and just watch and drink it in whenever they face each other.

thebigman repped this.