The European Footballer of the Year Nominations Are In!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by adri, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

2. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    It's gotta be Shevchenko. He has been amazing for Milan this year and was excellent last year.

Ronaldinho has a good chance too. But I don't think he will considering Barca didn't win anything last year.

I actually think that Vicente has an outside chance of taking it. He was the biggest part of Valencia's Uefa Cup and Spanish league titles last season.

3. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    I think Ricardo Carvalho should win, but he won't of course since defenders are not given the credit they deserve.

4. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Deco without a shadow of a doubt! :D

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All right!! Both Rooney and barros deserved to be on the list. they had done something ij the most important tournament of the year.

Now, I question the following noimnations:

Fabien Barthez: For what?

Jose Antonio Reyes: Talented, but what did he do last year?

6. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    He did This:

[​IMG]

and a couple other things.

-N1

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In other words, he did ******** all. Here is my list of shame (ie, players who do not merit a place):

Barthez
    Beckham
    Cech
    Haristeas
    Emerson
    Giuly
    Kapsis
    Reyes
    Seedorf
    Scholes
    Zidane

The other players have at least done something of note and had a good season.

8. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Haristeas was the Leading scorer of the Greek Team that won Euro 2004. (iirc). I dont think he deserves to win but he does merrit a place in the list.

9. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    for the ake of it i'd Vote Wayne Rooney :D but i know Henry or Ronaldinho will win it, I'd like to say Henry win it cuz it'll piss everyone else off :cool:

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That was Angelos Charisteas. The original article messed the name up, which is why I didn't originally count him. However, you are correct and he does merit inclusion in the list. He also won the domestic double with Werden Bremen.

11. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How did Theo Zagorakis make the list?

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He was player of the tournament. Theo

13. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only player that i disagree with you here is Guily. He doesn't deserve to win the award at all but he had a great season with Monaco, leading them to the Cl finals and I believe that if he hadn't injured himself so early in the match, the result may have been a little different. he does at least deserve n inclusion. The rest I agree, they really don't deserve to be there.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You do make a valid point. Okay, put him back in.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I cant say that Rooney and Baros don't deserve to be on the list or if they do - they both did very well at the Euros and if that means they deserve a place then everyone should be judged on their performance on the big stages ie. Euro, COPA, CL, LEAGUE, CUPS etc. In that order... if you do that, then Deco becomes a favorite, simply because he won a league title, the CL and did fairly well in the Euro oh, and they won a club cup title too... so it shows some consistency.

If you go by that kind of formula he should win, but if you go by inspiration and style and impact you might have to go with Ronnaldinho. Adriano has been impressive as well - I would put him third, tied with Shevchenko.

If you were to combine both the impact and inspiratation factors with the achievement on the big stage then I would say its a close race between all of them and that any of them should win.

That said, its a crime if everyone in that group of 4 does not come top 6.