Alert: The Eric Cubo Torres Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by ChrizG13, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I didn't think they would pull it off, especially after news of the GDL loan leaked. But in this instance, Im glad to be wrong. Merry Christmas Dynamo Supporters. What a present we got today.

Also, it's quite poignant this happens days before Christmas. IIRC, the stadium TRIZ deal was also agreed to days before Christmas as well.

Hydro, DNez2001 and JC507 repped this.
  2. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I wouldn't doubt that they waived Owen Coyle' s resume around during the power point. If you score 20-30 goals in 2.5 years we can hook you up at Middlesbrough or Swansea or Stoke.

Hydro, footyfool and Richy_Rich repped this.
  3. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams don't really sell players within the league, and players of Cubo's salary level and expected production don't move within the league via other mechanisms. There are a number of reasons for that, but to answer your question, if he leaves the Dynamo he leaves the league. Assuming his trajectory continues, he'll be in Europe no later than 2019 when his contract expires. That's assuming the Orange don't sell him sooner.

Richy_Rich repped this.
  4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ...and in 2019, he will still be only 26 year old entering the so-called prime years.

That's erection giving @Hydro; not strictly that he's Mexican but that he's 21, bright future, Mexican u-23 starter and if things go well he can be sold off in 3 years and break even at worst or make some cash at best.

ImaPuppy, Hydro and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  5. Richy_Rich

Richy_Rich Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    Long Beach State University
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    My guess is that if Mexico qualifies to the Olympics once again and has a good showing with Cubo bagging in many goals he'll be sold by 2016 but we'll see.

*rey* repped this.
  6. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Well the signing is already helping me learn Spanish. I already picked a new phrase, courtesy of Cubo's FB post.

"Los Culeros del Galashit"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419397127.754734.jpg

El Naranja, Hydro, ChrizG13 and 5 others repped this.
  7. Talisman

Talisman Member+

Aug 5, 2011
    Stamford, CT
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Please Cubo stay with Chivas. :mad:

8. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't want to blow my horn, but I predicted this a long time ago that we'd get a talented Mexican striker DP.

Okay, so it was nine freaking years ago, but I predicted it!

Nice Xmas present, but too bad we can't open the gift until summertime at the earliest.

freakyflow, redinthemorning and Hydro repped this.
  9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    JC's account has been hacked. One word post?:confused:

11. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    A one word Juvie post is even bigger news than signing Cubo!!

cougarclaws, El Naranja, JC507 and 5 others repped this.
  12. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fck. Yes.

Si se puede bitches!

redinthemorning, Hydro and *rey* repped this.
  13. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Another amazing move by Dynamo after hiring Cole. What's up next? [​IMG]

7seven7, JC507 and Hydro repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    All due respect but as I've said twenty times lately it doesn't matter if we upgrade forward if the defense remains the same unit that nearly allowed 60 goals.

Perk Perk Perk Appiah Appiah Appiah.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think what we basically did was pre-sign. That's why 6 months. On paper we own him and loan him back but in another sense Chivas has him through May on return from their loan. By buying now Chivas controls his rights and we deal directly with them. MLS exercises an option to others' exclusion. But then it is like a normal pre-sign transfer in the sense we now wait.

I think the "as much as" language is standard loanspeak. A team lended a player can always send them back early. They could get knocked out of their playoffs or eliminated and clean house.

You do have to hope he stays healthy, ahem, Beckham, ahem.

He could be called in for Gold Cup and/or Copa America so in practice he might not be here consistently til well into summer.

16. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Not arguing with you. But still it will be nice to see a real scorer. Even if the defense is still leaky maybe our GF/GA ratio will be less than -1,000 or whatever it was in 2014!

Cubo doesn't solve everything. But his acquisition is a nice step in a positive direction.

JC507 and Hydro repped this.
  17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I haven't been this excited about a signing in quite some time..or really ever.

Great move, obviously.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    39 GF is three off the bottom 42 that made the playoffs but 58 is well off the bottom 50 that made the playoffs. The worst team in the playoffs had a positive GD. You look at Philly and Portland and you can score 50, 60 goals and not make the playoffs if your defense also allows 50. Cubo didn't save Chivas from being lousy. We failed to make it out of a soft conference to the playoffs and are about to be in the conference with what I consider to be the two best teams in the league.

It is a part of a few transactions that need to happen for us to be competitive. 2 CBs (not good enough), wing depth (summer callups), F depth, a #10, perhaps a Kofi replacement, and I still think the keeping is not good enough.

I am pleased about the acquisition but we have many holes to fill and we likely won't benefit from this swap for months. If the rest of the work is not done with similar seriousness this could be bad til summer and not much better then.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    "No puedo esperar" except the whole premise of the deal is he'll be "esperando" un poco.

But I am glad he is eager because some of these foreign signings sometimes look like they have been sentenced to a term of years in a prison.

But then Schelotto looked like that when announced and they won a title. So who knows.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things I can say today:

1) This deal probably retires our contention that the Dynamo ownership won't spend money. Hopefully the league kicked in some funds for the transfer but the salary is probably pretty high. It's a healthy investment by ownership and the FO.

2) JuveGrinch

7seven7, Hydro, JC507 and 3 others repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you are back on your Brian Perk vs. Joe Willis GAA logic. Dynamo GF was brutal when you take out the 3 games where they scored 4+. They had a large number of games where they were shutout and scored zero. (I'm doing this all from memory)

Their overall GF was misleading because they racked up about 30% of their goals in 3 games. The other 31 games they averaged less than a goal per game which hinders actually winning games when you can't score enough to possibly earn 3 points.

I don't think anyone disagrees defense needs some upgrades. But the offense was just as weak.

JC507 repped this.
  22. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call that intent to win.... They have put a statement to the fans that they are committed to not staying stagnate. Owen Coyle and Torres in a month has shut me up. Give me a solid Defender and I think we got something here.

bford, 7seven7, Hydro and 2 others repped this.
  23. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

holy Sh#$. a MENK!!!!!!

Hydro repped this.
  24. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Careful guys, if it lasts more than 4 hrs, you need to see a doctor! <-- please pass this message to Jesus chron.com in case he doesn't know.

footyfool repped this.
  25. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone knows priority number 1 now: Lets get that CB!

JC507 and *rey* repped this.