The England thread

Discussion in 'Group B - England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia' started by am0985, Apr 8, 2016.

1. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    What do we think our chances are this year then? Personally would be happy with a fighting QF exit to a good team, playing some decent football in the process. That would definitely be progress and anything better would be a bonus.

Jordan Henderson ruled out of the tournament today though. That's a blow - not a brilliant player but England are lacking experience in the middle of the park.

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The expectations are lower. I actually believe England is a dark horse. Kane, Vardy and Drinkwater are unknown quality(which could mean both ways for England).

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are the expectations low? England is fifth in UEFA in the FIFA Rankings and fourth in UEFA in the ELO Ratings.

4. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    You guys will make the qtrs at least. Probably the semi's, possibly lose in the final to france.

qtrs and beyond for england.

5. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    We've reached two major tournament semi finals and zero finals in the last 50 years.

Plus it's a young side with the only "stars" emerging ones rather than established ones. Rooney definitely doesn't count as a star anymore. Defence is also pretty ropey.

The squad has potential for sure, I think low expectations this time round but high hopes for the future.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #6 Marcho Gamgee, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    I will be content with a quarter final place, anything more will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned, anything less then it's time Hodgson left for pastures new. Our Central defense is my major worry as I just don't think it's strong enough no matter what combination we select plus Hodgson! When it comes to the crunch and we meet decent opposition he will freeze and his pragmatic nature will take over, he will try to defend when we have not got a good enough defense to rely on.

To the OP, you do know we have an England thread right? Just curious as why you opened one here?

Edit: sorry, I see why there's a thread now.

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey guys what is your best starting lineup? I think this maybe:

-Kane-Vardy-
    -Rooney-
    -Henderson-Drinkwater-Alli-
    -Rose-Morgan-Cahill-Walker-
    -Hart-​

8. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our best team is probably this:

---------------Hart
    Clyne--Smalling--Stones--Shaw
    -----------Dier
    -----Alli--------Wilshere
    -----------Sterling
    ----Kane-----Vardy

Subs: Forster, Bertrand, Walker, Cahill, Barkley, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck

There are lots of options for us in the last 1/3 of the pitch... we have some good strikers so I'd like to see us play two up front in a diamond. With Wilshere back fit, our midfield also looks good with Alli and Dier.

QF is what I'd hope for at the minimum but you never know with us

9. munazaman

munazaman New Member

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Watch European Championships online direct satellite television in here. Who will win to say difficult? So, watch your online game on your time.

Euro Cup 2016 live streaming

10. Ulsterfry

Ulsterfry New Member

Glasgow Rangers
    England
    May 8, 2016
    Fazeley
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Morgan the Jamaican international hahaha drinkwater and Hendo together in midfield would be almost as funny. You've made my day :)

11. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    England should make the QF , if one goes according to the logical winners of each group ... England would play Italy in the QF , Spain in the semis and either France /Germany or Belgium in the final ... So I think you could beat Italy in the QF ...but who can really say . I believe winning the Euros is tougher then a World Cup , as from the QF it really gets tough !!!

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What if Italy win the group and Belgium come second?

13. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Italy come first then England will meet Belgium in the QF and Italy would play Germany in the QF.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah but would england be able to beat Belgium?

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not with our defence, No.

Reaching the QF would be our limit imo.

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyway I think we should stop trying to predict on how teams will face each other in the knockouts for now. Who knows anything can happen in the group stage. Maybe France will have a group stage exit, Maybe Ireland will surprise and win Group E, Maybe Germany will come runners up of their group. We never know and seeing that a lot of the big teams are coming into this tournament with some key players injured, and a lot the smaller teams performing quite impressively in the qualifying campaign, I would not be surprised if we see a quite a bit of upsets. I have a strong feeling that Albania will upset France and beat them. Di Biasi was able to beat France in Albania and draw France in France in friendlies, and if he can do it in friendlies, he can do it in the tournament as long as the players are motivated.

After all this is not the UCL where most teams that are favorites win because they play together all the time. When it comes to international football, upsets are way more common.

This is actually why I love international football the best, because upsets happen more and teams are not based on money, its really all about luck with which countries produce talented players. Also there are no ridiculous attack forces like the MSN, BBC, or Robben/Muller/Costa/Lewandowski. Most of the big teams are comparable on paper.

17. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why not? I think its fun trying to predict ... I think England has a good chance to beat Belgium and Italy...they have a young exciting team, and currently their players are really on form. If they can just believe in them selves and play a confident game I recon they can go far .....
    Good luck to them....

18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is fun to predict. I just meant that we shouldn't assume everything is gonna happen as we think from the favorites.

These are my group predictions:

Group A: 1. France, 2. Switzerland (I don't think I have to explain much about this. Although Romania and Albania are not teams to be underestimated. I kind of have a feeling Albania will beat France, but France will still win the group).

Group B: 1. England, 2. Slovakia, 3. Russia (Wales is overrated, without Gareth Bale they are really nobody. Slovakia have impressed me in qualifying and have a stable team. Their home win against Spain was really impressive as well as their away win against Ukraine. Slovakia can do it when it matters. Russia as well since Capello left, they have been improving. I think Russia's team just edges Wales by a small margin in terms of experience and more teamwork).

Group C: 1. Germany, 2. Ukraine, 3. Poland (Many people predict Poland to go through as second, but I think they are wrong. Ukraine has a really solid defense and is quite good with tactics by staying back and pressing just inside their own half and counterattacking when its the right time. Poland do have Lewandowski but I have seen their defense look shaky at times. Also with Ukraine having Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko on the wings with pace, and also Rotan between them supporting the striker who has amazing shooting on target. I think this team is not to be underestimated).

Group D: 1. Spain, 2. Croatia (This is the group of death. Turkey and Czech Republic are really good teams, but the thing is I cannot pick a winner between those two, and expect the game to end in a draw knocking both teams out do to only picking up 1 point. Spain and Croatia are the better teams on paper and I think they will win their games against the Czechs and Turks. I expect Spain just to edge it over Croatia by either a win or a draw and goal difference).

Group E: 1. Italy, 2. Belgium, 3. Ireland (Maybe Belgium first and Italy second, but I think with Italy having the BBC defense together is a huge advantage due to them playing at Juventus all season. Also with Wilmonts playing Vertonghen and Alderweireld as full backs looks like a huge mistake and I think will cost them topping the group, especially with Kompany already out. Italy usually perform at best when it matters. Also Ireland has impressed me in the qualifying group especially taking 4 points off of Germany in two games. Their defense is solid and they are quite organized. I actually expect Ireland to draw Italy and beat Sweden. Sweden has let me down. Ibrahimovic looks to be their only hope, especially after seeing them in the qualifying group which they were favorites to win in the beginning. They only took 2 points in 4 games between Russia and Austria).

Group F: 1. Iceland, 2. Austria, 3. Portugal (I honestly have a really hard time predicting this group. All I can predict is I doubt Hungary will be much of a threat. Otherwise Iceland, Austria, and Portugal look pretty equal to me. Portugal are favorites on paper, but Iceland and Austria both impressed in the qualifying campaign. I am tipping Iceland to top it because I think they are the best managed team in this group and really know what they are doing. They have pretty much used the same tactics and lineup throughout qualifying, so they know what to do. Austria has looked quite good specifically with Alaba and Janko. I think they will be able to beat Portugal to second place. The fact is that in the world cup 2014, USA drew Portugal and almost beat them, and I think this Iceland team is better than the USA in 2014, and Austria is around the same level or a bit better than USA 2014. But I see these three teams advancing and can really go either way).

BorisG repped this.
  19. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really like the right up, well done

20. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I cheer for Putin's soldiers! :D

21. Tobias19

Tobias19 Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Dont know why but i always want England to go far in tournaments, maybe i have a hidden anglo inside me:laugh:

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  22. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Wait, is this the same Italy that have exited the last two World Cups at the group stage?

Italy sometimes perform well, but sometimes implode.

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Usually not always. 2014 W.C. was an exception. Although we did beat England 2-1.

24. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    2010?!

I know the Euros are the Euros and Italy did well last time. But overall recent tournament record for Italy isn't exactly great and current squad is woeful bar defence.

BocaFan repped this.
  25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2010 we were robbed against Slovakia. We should have won the game 4-3 honestly. 2010 and 2014 were the only tournaments we did terrible in. I do think a lot of our players did underperform in 2010 though. Prandelli ruined it in 2014.