The England 'Other Sports' thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Marcho Gamgee, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Waited six years for a major winner and it's another lad from Sheffield, Matt Fitzpatrick.:geek:

2. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    To be fair he did.:thumbsup: Going to probably have to continue playing him on the wing though, Freddie Steward is very reliable at full back.

Who would you replace him with though? Apparently the RFU want an English coach next time, Borthwick seems front runner but he's very inexperienced. I reckon after consecutive series wins away in Australia, Eddie has probably got the job till his contract expires after the World Cup.

Nice to see JVP take to Test rugby so comfortably. Should Quirke overcome his injuries there looks to be life after Care & Youngs. Pity after all the hype Marcus Smith hasn't made the transition from club level look as easy, partnership with Farrell is unconvincing.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just thought I’d add this here as it’s the first time God save the King is played at a sports arena in the UK in this case the cricket against South Africa. It did give me goosebumps also to be honest.

4. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
  5. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    (correction) The silence

6. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Harry Brook looks a gem.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He’s a proper find isn’t he and still very young, some of his shots are just outrageous and sublime. You can only imagine the batting line up for T20 and one day cricket with the batting of Brook, Bairstow, Butler and Livingstone. Blimey! Duckett has also done well.

8. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We may not win the ICC T20 world cup but that, was one of the most satisfying wins in Cricket you will ever see.

Every single thing about a world class Indian cricket side, just dismantled... just annihilated in front of everyone! We did it in the Old enemies backyard, in front of an Indian dominated stadium... against all odds.

And we reamed them. They could have set 200 and we'd have chased it so easily.

Whatever happens in the final, beating India.. as great as their fans are was worth all of it.

Marcho Gamgee, Gaz811 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I agree! There’s something extremely satisfying about the way Butler and Hales just completely destroyed the Indian attack with such ease! It’s also just so satisfying shutting up the most arrogant and self entitled cricket fans on the planet! They are just on another level compared to anyone else.

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thought the womens rugby team did very well today despite losing but playing a lady down for a majority of the game was never going to be easy against an expansive New Zealand side. Thought there was some questionable decisions from the officials but no excuses for the red card but thought the kiwi lady was lucky to just get a yellow but there you go. Well done to New Zealand though and great advert for the womens game.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It was good.

Next time around is in England. Final at Twickenham.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not going to watch any more international sport this weekend.
    Watched the WRWC and england lost in excruciating fashion. Just watched England lose a home RWC semi in Rugby League to Samoa. Caught the tail end of England vs Australia in the BJK tennis womens tournament. Every point played that I watched, we also lost.

I'm going to do my bit for the cricket team and not watch them. I know my team Bournemouth won 3-0 today but what a ********ing depressing day of sport.

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s been a rubbish day for England/British teams in knockout matches, hopefully tomorrow will be much better with the cricket final and wheelchair rugby league semi. (And women rugby league semi on Monday.)

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    England women were unlucky. I hate the way in rugby the TMO just randomly interjects for some things but not others. It’s bizarre.

Blatant forward pass for one NZ try. That was ignored but the TMO overrules the ref on a 50/50 call that eventually ended in a NZ try.

England would have got a definite try at the end if NZ hadn’t brought down the maul. So, the punishment was merely a penalty retake of the same situation. Can’t see how that was fair.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Exactly my thoughts Baz, I mean I don’t think it would be a contentious decision if the TMO use is consistent with these types of decisions but they seem to pick and choose when to use it. Very odd! Plus you’re right with the penalties at the end, seen many yellow cards given for collapsing the maul! It sounds like sour grapes but you just want consistency. I mean there was a clear knock on for a restart after they scored a try but wasn’t even looked at, again very odd.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just had to turn off the cricket after Buttler gets out! I have a bad feeling we’re going to through this away after a brilliant fielding and bowling display.

18. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Ben Stokes batting in a high pressure situation, never any need to worry.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I switched off as soon as Salt went. I am watching it back now through. What a good result. I don’t think after the Ireland match anyone thought winning it was plausible.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh wow!! That’s great! To be honest I couldn’t see all the game anyway as had to go out but I feared a batting collapse but should have faith in that middle order because we have some batting depth and quality.

21. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    The Scots must look over the border with so much envy. Seeing their neighbours win world titles in so many sports and become number 1 team in the world.
    Ahh well, at least they have their curling ;)

Fireburn47 repped this.
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That’s now double World Champions in both one day and T20! That’s really going to annoy the Indians :D:D

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Fireburn47 repped this.
  24. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m back!! So glad we won!

Apoarently he did not get in the team of the tournament? Wtf?

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    How does the player of the tournament not get into the team of the tournament? Surely that’s not possible!