The Emma Hayes era begins

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Nov 14, 2023.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #151 hotjam2, Jan 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    you’ve & others already pointed out her coaching creds & or nuances. I can only add that Emma is a commentator for BBC and doesn’t mind controversial calling out dirty players or who’s flopping or ‘milking it’ as fit. So she’ll definitely know what to expect & know rare insides from opposing NT’s and/or its players.

At the other hand, she’s only taking complete reigns over the USWNT in June(Olympics start in late July)—-I would think that’s a bit too late.

JanBalk repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two early June friendlies have been announced. These are the games when Emma Hayes is expected to debut as USWNT coach:

3. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Oh, these conditions are stupid

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    USA desperately needs to go on a Euro road trip. Continues playing 2nd tier NT’s at home, will likely cost them the Olympics.

the last time I saw S Korea play was at the WC where they started an 16 year old American at striker. Dunno if she’s still part of the squad(or just went back to high school). But SK obviously didn’t get far in Olympic qualifying as oddball squads like PRK & Uzbekistan instead made it into the semis only to be promptly slaughtered by the likes Australia(13-0 agreg vs the Uzbek’s)

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    That 16 year old striker signed with Angel City of the NWSL.

Allende72 and blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, recently announced: her name is Casey Phair.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    was going to mention her name but was worried I’ll be mistakenly naming an 1990’s rocker instead!

RalleeMonkey and Allende72 repped this.
  8. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #158 kribi, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Casey Yujin Phair is still part of the korean squad and played just 10 days ago (starter and 90 min) against Portugal.
    Portugal 5 - 1 South Korea
    Here 's the first half of the match (4-0) (i didn't find the second half on youtube)

hotjam2 repped this.
  9. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    The problem is that Europe is basically full for all windows before the Olympics. We can take a road trip, but we won't be playing any games.

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder why she decided not to play for the USA, where she was raised from one month old? Is she not good enough to make to full national team?

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    good choice since LA got an long established Koreatown to draw from. AC charges an average of $45 per ticket, is that about the norm in the NWSL?
    at age 16 she’s probably not experienced or not as good enough to be given an tryout by our NT(and probably Korea gave an offer she couldn’t refuse instead)Last time someone that age played for the USWNT was Swanson in the Olympics, but she was already an veteran(or well known)of the 2014 u20 WC squad.
    The 2022 WC had about 75 American born players in it(probably the same in the Concacaf). Most probably wouldn’t warrant attention by the US feds, but some might/should like Canada the other day even steven the US while starting Atlanta born Simi Awujo(who currently plays for USC)….CA as well started Jaden Rose, who’s currently plays at Harvard & lived previously in the US(though born in Canada)

Namdynamo and Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. chirenzhiren

chirenzhiren Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 14, 2021
    Well, PRK is by no means a weak team. Uzbekistan advanced because of draw but not quality, SK, NK and PRC were in the one same group, and all three sides are miles ahead of Uzbekistan.
    Again, you displayed your ignorance of woso landscape and I recommend you shut up for a few months to educate yourself before rambling nonsense.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #163 hotjam2, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    Uh
    Please stop with your sad old man act, S-Korea ended in last place in their WC group

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear me, no reason to be quite so rude

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A comment from Hayes has recently come under some scrutiny online. In a recent Chelsea press conference, she said, “Player-coach relationships they’re inappropriate, player-to-player relationships are inappropriate. But we have to look at it in the context of where the game has come from, and say ‘look we’re in a professional era now’ where the expectations in place for players and coaches is such that all of our focus and attention has got to be on having the top standards.”

It's really the comment on player-to-player relationships that is causing the bigger uproar, especially as 2 Chelsea players are currently dating each other, but the rest of the comment gives a bit more context in that it focused more on the challenges those relationships present for the team and the coaching staff rather than inappropriateness:

This sentiment would have been a bigger deal a couple of years ago on the USWNT, but I'm not sure that it still won't raise some eyebrows.

mingyung repped this.
  16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may raise eyebrows, but it is hard to argue it would not be a complicating factor for a team.

17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I don't disagree with this. But she signed the talented Pernille Harder who was widely known to be dating Chelsea's captain at the time. So to say this, while choosing to sign a star player knowing you are bringing her onto the team with her partner is curious.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely, but are they inappropriate, or should they be a thing of the past, as Hayes said? And even if that is someone's opinion, on the scale of inappropriateness, player-player relationships don't come anywhere close to player-coach relationships.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After some conversations within the Chelsea team, Emma Hayes regrets the comment: "I let myself down yesterday. I didn't think it was right for me to use the term inappropriate for the players. ...Jess and I have had a conversation, as I have with other players within the team. I don't take those things back but I have zero criticism of any player in my dressing room for anything. Their professionalism, for what they've given to the club regardless of their status, regardless of who they're in a relationship with. I've been unbelievably supportive of all of the players. I've been a champion for equality and for equity. As I keep saying to our players all the time, even if we have disagreements in life, we mustn't play them out publicly."

edcrocker, cpthomas, taosjohn and 3 others repped this.
  20. chirenzhiren

chirenzhiren Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 14, 2021
    Woah, you are some sort of a white knight? You must be an idiot as well since you defend an idiot. Feel free to ignore me.

21. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I laugh every time I think about it! Morgan a false 9?

22. Byu77

Byu77 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Nov 21, 2021
    It’ll be interesting how she handles the Korbin Albert situation.

going to be a lot of heat on her.

23. Plainsman511

Plainsman511 New Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Oct 11, 2022
    Looks like Albert wants to drag her religious beliefs onto the pitch. Never a good idea.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OK, what are you talking about? I am a Korbin Albert fan. What has she said or done that you refer to?

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Simple. Drop Albert from the team if she continues.

She has apologized, but let's see what happens next with her.

U.S. midfielder Korbin Albert apologizes for sharing ‘insensitive and hurtful’ social media posts

https://apnews.com/article/korbin-albert-apology-uswnt-tiktok-lgbtq-14b416df34354278ad0174bb7fedcad3

According to multiple media outlets, Albert shared a video from a Christian sermon that described being gay and “feeling transgender” as wrong.