The ECNL "All In Thread"

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Mar 26, 2019.

1. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    93% of graduating seniors getting money does not seem logical. Without data it seems like maybe 1/4 ECNL seniors are going D3 and add in Ivy league and all of those players get no money for soccer.

Was the 93% "play in college" as opposed to get money?

illinisoccer repped this.
  2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
  3. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
  4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't follow the argument. Both have their issues. I see ECNL being pretty clear as an organization - even prior to GDA as you mention, with these metrics. If I was running an organization I sure as hell would be showing the world these metrics.

It helps to justify the investment and play IMO. I don't see an issue with ECNL being the only game in town at the time.

Not to argue about it but what are the DA metrics - are there? Honestly asking.

To DAs defense... they are not focusing on college as much as national teams so there may not be a reason to tout such metrics.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I see that ECNL is offering scholarships for female players to move into a coaches role.

Is the GDA doing anything like this :p

When this all started I was having a conversation on field 4 at the end of the 2018 Spring season. I mentioned two things which I thought would win the day for ECNL...

1. The marketing machine for the ECNL makes the DA look like a rec league.
    2. ECNL will likely be more agile - more able to change and create value.

This is exactly an example of #2.

So while USSF is in a lawsuit - calling out the women who represent the nation and while no GDA clubs (that I have heard of) have stood up to this position, the ECNL is moving forward to help female players progress in the sport.

ytrs repped this.
  6. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Hard to call this a "win" for ECNL tho. Offering some money to scholarship coaches is great, but I guarantee its nothing close to the $800k the federation makes available to scholarship players. Most clubs will pay for a portion if not all of a coaches education anyway.

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    This is not for players but for players to jump over to coaches. Youth soccer needs more female coaches and this is looking to address that. Where is the DA/USSF doing this?

I know you are a USSF/Sockers fan but yeah - the USSF has such a shiny image when it comes to spending money - doing good for youth soccer and spreading love for the womens game.

ytrs repped this.
  8. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    The DA hired women for every position in their leadership staff lol. Where are the women leaders in the ECNL?

9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
  10. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Are any of those actual leadership positions? I see administrators.

You forgot the most important information from that webpage: the executive leadership:
    • President: Christian Lavers
    • Vice President: Doug Bracken
    • Secretary and Treasurer: Jason Dewhurst
    All men. All club directors within the platform.

11. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am pretty sure the ECNL Commissioner is a leadership position and would rank in the top three positions of ECNL. Christian created the league. Just like DA was created by the men in charge at the time.
    You sound like a bitter betty. Maybe because DA is losing teams to ECNL ;)

12. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    You're a sheep.

Those clubs left the DA for reasons that had nothing to do with what's best for soccer. Money and control. Get educated.

13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The majority of Players prefer ECNL once they hit high school. The girls especially want to play HS soccer. Google articles on why these clubs left. Slammers flat out said they left because that is what their families wanted. There are other articles out there saying similar things. Not in the mood to google them but I was surprised at how candid some of the DOC's have been. Top clubs are leaving DA, because ECNL is more enjoyable. More player/family/club friendly. It is also better about development for all players.

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Bro I don't think you or the GDA have much ground to stand on now. 3-5 more large clubs leave and GDA is second rate with more travel. Look at the midwest - you swapped Thunder for Salvo and Hawks for Vardar... Trend is not looking to good.

USSF is a massive machine that has no ability to be agile and is so out of touch with the realtity of youth soccer when it comes to girls. They have their agenda and all they do is roll with it - blinders on and all. That wil be their un-doing.

ytrs repped this.
  15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think CL will have his own problems if he does not allow another ECNL badge in Chicagoland. I've heard legal challenges may be looming.

16. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Candid? You think they're telling the whole truth? They're not going to publicly state that they can make more money by having two teams in the ECNL by operating on an 8 month cycle so saving money on facilities and coaching during the HS period. Do some more googling, find out how many of those clubs reduced their fees when they left the DA and went to a shorter season. And how does a shorter season, less required coaching education, and less training mean better development for all players? Because it's friendly and they're happier? Sounds more like outrageously expensive rec soccer to me but keep filling their pockets.

Check your facts, bro. Vardar girls aren't in the DA. MTA never were. Midwest lost Hawks and Eclipse who were actively trying to undermine the platform and are notoriously hard to work with. They bitched and moaned about not letting girls play HS when neither club did before the DA anyway. Surprise! One year after leaving the DA Hawks brought back their full year teams.

Midwest GDA has the most balanced division in either platform. Nationals, CDA, Midwest, Sockers, even Jags and FCU have some decent sides at some ages. Only Salvo and Cleveland are struggling. Compare that to the Eclipse North, Hawks Black, Vardar, EGA, SLSG IL bottom feeders in the ECNL midwest. One has 2 strugglers the other has 5. Ballpark figures but assume they play home/away that's 4 fixtures against weak clubs a year compared to 10. Which is really a better division? I would say "equitable" but people are willing to pay the same for ECNL as DA even tho they'll actually get less soccer in the ECNL so that's moot.

People are just such suckers to ECNL's marketing. They could plant an ECNL flag in a pile of dog sh*t and sheep would be lining up for a lick. #sheep

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Apparently I do - stand corrected.

Fair enough.

I don't agree with this however. I think GDA stance on "their way or the highway", the way they treat the WNT for example, put many people off - right from the start.

18. Ellejustus

Ellejustus New Member

None
    United States
    Apr 6, 2020
    Socal
    Is the G D A League going to be around for 2020-2021 season? Socal is fighting a turf war still. SoCal Blues have GDA and ECNL. Will they have both again? Will Blues get two ECNL teams like Real CO?

19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    ytrs repped this.
  20. Smsoccer

Smsoccer New Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Apr 6, 2020
    Please don't piss people off over here please.

21. Smsoccer

Smsoccer New Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Apr 6, 2020
    Socal have only one decent ECNL team. Socal has 7/8 competitive teams!

22. Smsoccer

Smsoccer New Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Apr 6, 2020
    #73 Smsoccer, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Sorry but YSR is useless and not accurate. People/Parents can go on their and change their team names and delete games to move up in rankings.

23. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    For sure. I remember one year our team had 3 different listings on there and for some reason they did not include our last 5 games of the IWSL spring season.

24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    This is bullshit. When you have to chest thump to sell your narrative you are not confident in it. Why do DA folks feel the need to do this. You never see if from ECNL folks. There are many good ECNL teams in So Cal. Cool Aid drinkers are so frustrating on these forums. I am not going to get in a back in forth with you. Both leagues have good teams and bad teams. It is reality.