The "Don" now said 22 teams by 2020..

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by SteveUSSF_ref8, Feb 16, 2011.

1. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2011/02/15/round-table-with-mls-commish-don-garber.aspx

Hey the "Don" was in Vancouver the other for a round table discussion on the MLS and the future. He now says 22 teams by the end of the decade. So, with Montreal joining in 2012 and let's say the NY Cosmos in 2014. Who will be the next two, Las Vegas, Atlanta, South Florida or someone else. Also how does the 34 games schedule work with 22 teams. It also sounds like the league is going to maintain the two table system East and West for the foreseeable future. What do you think the league will look like knowing this senario by 2020. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    22 teams by 2020 is not a bad idea; slow, well thought-out expansion is the right way to grow. But he's nuts to even consider a fall-spring schedule (that was in the article as well--just sayin', not trying to start anything :) ).

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i'd imagine that with 22 teams the schedule would be only 31 games. 11 teams in two conferences. 10 H/10 A vs in conference 11 vs other conference (alternate home/away on 2 year cycle). 10+10+11=31.

4. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's a fairly arbitrary question, given it relies very very heavily on a wealthy ownership group, which could spring out of anywhere really.

Clearly, MLS and Don Garber want a presence in the South East, so bank on one space going to Atlanta or Miami. I'd wager both teams end up here. I don't think there's much competition out there at the moment. Phoenix? San Antonio? Ottawa? San Diego? Meh.

You've also got the whole weird angle of Beckham having access to a MLS franchise at a fraction of the current asking price, so it may depend on whether he chooses to end up as part of the New York Cosmos or not. If not, he'll have a massive say in where the 21st team is.

5. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this in mind this is how I see it:

Eastern Conference
    Atlanta Legion FC (Expansion 2018)
    Baltimore United (Relocation DC United 2013)
    Chicago Fire
    Columbus Crew
    AC Miami (Expansion 2016 - Beckham franchise)
    Montreal Impact (Expansion 2012)
    New England Revolution
    New York Cosmos (Expansion 2014)
    New York Red Bulls
    Philadelphia Union
    Toronto FC

Western Conference
    Colorado Rapids
    FC Dallas
    Houstion Dynamo
    Sporting Kansas City
    Las Vegas FC (Relocation Chivas USA 2014)
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Portland Timbers
    Real Salt Lake
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Regular Season
    34 game schedule - within conference play every team 2x - 20 games, other conference plays 3 teams twice = 6 games & play 8 teams once = 8 games.

Playoffs
    10 teams (five each confernce no crossover). MLS Cup site team with most points in regular season.

6. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't they have 38 matches a season like leagues that have 20 teams? Start the season a week or two earlier, extend it a week later, throw in mid-week match or two . . . Boom! It's done.

7. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If adding 8 teams in ostensibly 7 years, 12 in 18 years if there's 22 teams by 2020, is slow expansion, what's fast expansion?

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2010/03-March/Rapids-canceled.aspx

9. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Isn't there a hangup?

Isn't there some FIFA rule that a league can't have more than 20 teams?

Also he said he "wouldn't be surprised", to me that's as indicative as bull puckey.

What's more to me it's a little weird having an odd number of teams in Each division.

Still for the standpoint of being complete (from a market perspective) if you get one in the Southeast and ioono another midwest team or something seems fine.

Still it likely will boil down to which market cares the most, has a wealthy owner interested and can hopefully gain community support, hence why outside of maaaaaaaaaybe Atlanta I don't see a southern team even if it made sense in the big picture. I think what's more likely to happen is maybe someone relocating (Chiva's if someone bought it maybe).

Also, screw international calender. You'll kill league attendance and existing not to mention potential fan interest if you work during football and basketball season. Not to mention the weather in the north. After all the Russian clubs are moaning because the super league wants to go to a traditional schedule (I can understand why'd they moan with Russian winters).

10. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Re: Isn't there a hangup?

Its directed at smaller countries, A Fifa member has already said that he can see MLS going up to 30-32 teams and not go over the game limit. The Conference system basically protects the teams from having a over schedule season.

11. Join or Die

Join or Die Member

May 31, 2009
    Local 138
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    20 teams, single table, no playoffs, best record wins.

12. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    fyp. :)

13. Prune

Prune New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    30 teams. 2 Conferences. 6 Divisions of 5 Teams. Division winners plus 8 Wild Cards make the playoffs. MLS Cup played somewhere warm (or a dome) in early November.

14. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Blatter has talked about pushing leagues to have as few as 16 teams, but the context of his remarks makes it clear that they are really trying to reduce the number of league games -- which would, of course, let them have more international games on which FIFA and the Confederations can make more money.

Here's his comments from 2007:

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=blatterleaguecaps

He returned to this topic earlier this year, using FIFA's own website:

Link:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/66062.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

15. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    until Miami can support a team they should be from 23-30

21- ATL - Falcons involved
    22- SAN - Spurs involved.

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about Las Vegas, Baltimore and the Beckham factor. Are Las Vegas, Baltimore and San Diego relocation sites?

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These answers could go in a Jeopardy category for MLS Fanboy Pipe Dream sites.

18. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I think the SSE stepping up to MLS is questionable to me. They seem to be talking USL-Pro right now just to prevent from any future competition sports wise. Plus SSE has a no competition clause that makes it hard for anyone to bring in a sports team that doesn't have the SSE involved.

19. Prune

Prune New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Good. Then we won't have to read a million posts on the nirvana of pro/rel and playing matches in Toronto in January.

20. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A no playoff system for the MLS will never happen, their is too much revenues to be lost. In fact the Spanish Primera Liga plans to establish some sort of playoff system by the 2012 season. Also, get use to the idea of a two table system that is the closet they will get the the single table. I don't believe you will ever see a divisional alignment, just East and West Conferences. The reason for this is they plan to ulimately get to a 24 team format sometime after 2020 and this is a prefect alignment for a 34 game schedule, which is the max games they will ever play.

21. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This will never happen, the league is going to cap the teams at 24, that has been a stated fact from the "Don". Also the "Don" talked about a International schedule, I don't believe I will see this in my lifetime.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you persistently lie as well as post up garbage reimagined team badges?

23. Prune

Prune New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The Don will not be the commish in 20 years so it really won't be up to him.

24. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Do you have a link of proof that the SPL plans to switch to a playoff system? I'm not saying I don't believe I'm just curious.

You sir get rep for this.

They throw out a random number like that (in fact I wouldnt be surprised if this 22 is one of them) to keep franchises in demand so to speak. Don't believe a word of it, as long as there is money to be made there will be expansion.

25. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be my own personal nirvana.:D

But the fact that we now have 22 as a number tells me that expansion may be slowing down for quite some time. I wouldn't be surprised if we sit at 19 teams for 2 years.