The Distract Me From 2020s P&CE Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    It worked out okay.
    I can get a lot of lap dances with the money I saved.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I bought the scale model a few years ago. This is a gull wing, right?

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

InTheSun, soccernutter, roby and 3 others repped this.
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really? I hadn't picked up on that? :eek:

:giggle:

I was a veggie, (albeit not vegan coz it's too much of a pain in the arse), for several years but some people* might say that with meat production apparently now helping to destroy the planet, it's YOU lot who should stay at home ;)

Meat accounts for nearly 60% of all greenhouse gases from food production, study finds

Having said that I've also been a carnivore for several years, so...

* Not me, of course, because I'm a very nice and polite person :)

dapip, soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I know you're not dumb. Chicken and fish are meat.

Yeah, ******** you too.

xtomx and rslfanboy repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There's no doubt that veganism is the sustainable, correct way to live. But vegans can be a bit annoying because there are 3 main reasons people become a vegan and they tend to jump on all 3 so they can feel morally superior (even though it was probably just 1 of those 3 reasons that swayed them to become a vegan).

It would be like if I go around bragging how I'm helping the planet by not having kids when that's really not at all the reason I don't want kids, if I'm being honest.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I stopped eating meat for some years because I didn't think it particularly moral to kill something for my pleasure when I didn't have to. I stopped when I met TLW because she wasn't going to go vegetarian and I wasn't that moral I was prepared to do the cooking coz, y'know... let's no go crazy here :D

If people asked me why I was a veggie I'd tell them but other than that I wouldn't volunteer the information.

Of course, since then, the situation has changed in that not eating meat also helps in not destroying the planet and aiding me in that whole 'breathing' business I've found so agreeable over the years.

YMMV :)

BocaFan repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, so YOU say!!! :)

soccernutter repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with this remark is that a lot of meat eaters don't distinguish between vegans and vegetarians, and that even happens in these discussions. As a vegetarian, that pisses me off because I will never be a vegan, and I also get turned off by those who think their veganism makes them morally superior. Case in point, see NM's response.

And as you inferred that ALL vegans are like that, how do you know they ALL feel moral superiority?

You do realize that veganism is not eating any animal projects, including things like cheese and milk, yes?

rslfanboy, xtomx and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol Where did I infer that "all" vegans act morally superior? I said they can tend to act that way, which let's be honest is true. Heck, you said as much in your response above.

[My post also distinguished between vegans and vegetarians ( I was clearly talking about vegans) so not sure what you were reading :D]

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's quite a bit of doubt, actually:

[​IMG]

The book argues that veganism is every bit as tied into corporate agribusiness as is the typical omnivore diet, and thus equally unsustainable and damaging to the planet in the long run. Not to mention nutritionally dubious. The solution is smarter agriculture, including animals, that directs more of the animal wastes into the ground (where it can rebuild our rapidly diminishing topsoil) as opposed to into the atmosphere.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, I'm only a 67 year old left-wing male who, over half a century ago was a vegetarian so, please go ahead and explain it to me :)

:giggle:

usscouse repped this.
  13. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the amount of flatulence I've had today following a solid vegetarian meal yesterday, I'm not sure cutting out meat is going to reduce greenhouse gases.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Feels like digging for excuses not to become vegan. Sure, smarter agriculture and preventing animal torture is needed. And then along with that, normal eating would help greatly. That doesn't have to be vegan. But eating meat 14 times per week is overkill literally and figuratively.

In short, a shift in mindset is needed. And that book seems to be arguing along very similar lines as your typical vegan in that regard, though they might disagree slightly on the extent of that shift.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol at the idea of somebody like that using a repair shop, they probably have their own private, live-in mechanic for their classic car collection.

16. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there are specialized shops and dealerships that works exclusively on classic vehicles. A good friend has a decent collection and the place he uses comes out to his facility on a regular schedule to keep them all in driving condition.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol at the idea that the same mechanic that knows how to repair a '57 Mercedes also knows his way around Chevy Camaro. ;)

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your second sentence.

Wasn't totally clear because, as I said, a lot of meat-eaters don't distinguish. Apologies as it seems you were distinguishing the two being different.

At 67, maybe you have forgotten a few things. :p

19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Vegetarian is just fine too. You don't have to go full vegan. But then again, everyone defines what veg/vegan means to them. The label is dumb.

Honestly, meat consumption can be done sustainably. However, having meat for every meal is the current standard, and that is VERY far from sustainable. I'd think generally 6oz/wk on average would be plenty.

Strict Vegans also don't use honey, wool, dairy, certain dyes, shellac, silk, etc... It seems like grandstanding more to me than anything else. I know a lot of people are struggling to find something true and pure to grasp onto. Many get into it with the right intentions, but it turns into a religion of purity.

We all just need to relax and drink a homebrew. And eat less meat.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a while, I've been of the mind that some mix should be the norm, and as far as I know, it is better for overall health. I have said I am not 100% vegetarian, and I understand that is because my body says "Damn it, you are missing some protein. Have some meat today." But I also know that by being vegetarian my shit does smell better. Literally. (I know it is not everybody, but when I don't have meat for a few days, my shit doesn't smell.) But overall, I am a believer in a mixed died.

BocaFan and rslfanboy repped this.
  21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well...I'm doing my part as a quasi vegan by putting onions, peppers and shrooms on my sausage grinder. :thumbsup:

xtomx, Auriaprottu, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How did you know I'm 67? :mad:

usscouse, soccernutter, Pønch and 3 others repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. That's the cool thing about veganism. Your actions can still result in a positive impact in all 3 areas (health, planet, animals) even if you don't go all in.

With most bad habits you have to quit 100% otherwise its pointless. Like cheating on your wife half as much isn't accomplishing anything. Similarly for most hard drugs. But going half-way towards vegan still yields positive results. If anything the benefit versus effort curve begins to taper-off as you approach 100% vegan.

dapip repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From what I can tell, there has never been a human population able to sustain itself without using animals for food and clothing, and even fuel. There have been vegetarian populations, some of which maintained a decent standard of health, but they seem to have relied on dairy products, eggs, honey, etc...

To me, the worst grandstanding element of the purity-emphasizing vegans is the faulty assumption that we can remove ourselves from the food chain. We're involved in the web of life, as bloody and as fatal as that may be, regardless of how much it offends our sensibilities.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    We're not out of the food chain?

Dr. Wankler repped this.