The Distract me from 2020s P&CE Thread Part Deux

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal

Drinkin rum and Coca-Cola
    Go down Point Cumana
    Both mother and daughter
    Workin for the Yankee dolla :whistling:

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    There's a new Jamaican place up the road but after watching this I'm scared of ordering :D

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR7yECak/

soccernutter, roby and raza_rebel repped this.
  3. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    The East Caribbean is similar. They would never tell me what they had, but rather what they didn't have—that and the meat thing. Chicken is chicken, fish is fish, but the meat could be goat, lamb, horse, or beef. And if you asked for clarification of what kind of meat, you usually got a "it's meat" response. I'm pretty sure I had horse in the EC.

Also, a lot of rastas who actually practiced Rastafarianism didn't eat any meat. Fish wasn't considered meat, so it was on the table but meat/chicken was not. Not sure if it was island or region-specific though as I have not met any rastas since then.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Becks keeping his wife honest in an interview. :ROFLMAO:

luftmensch, blissett and rslfanboy repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In 1985, I walked across the street from my hotel in Montego Bay and got a chicken plate at this mom/pop place that was the only building nearby aside from the motel itself. It didn't occur to me to not get something else out of concern for them not identifying it (I've had goat, but I was told it was goat. No biggie. I have not had horse that I know of), but the lady told me she had chicken. The place was 400-500 sq feet, not much bigger, with a curtain around the area where the stove and sink were. There were two card tables and seven or eight chairs in the place. Two guys were already at one table, and for some reason I did not order to go, but ate there. I sat down to eat at the other table. the chicken (fried) was good, no problem. Dude comes in and gets a plate and sits down across from me. I was taken aback for a split second --that's all it took for me to realize that I was not in the sort of place where you get your own table-- but I don't think it showed. Dude introduced himself as Cornbread, spoke a lot about the "upcomin' Revolution", finished before I did and was gone.

6. Deadtigers repped this.
  7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to play on a team with all Caribbean guys. Alla-dem from Jamay-ca, 'cept for Trevor Dread, 'im from Trin-ee-daad!

Anyway, one of the guys had a moonlight gig as a security guard. He filled in at a posh hotel, and one of the perks was that he could help himself to the buffet. Someone asked what he had, and he said "beef." "What kind of beef?" "Cow beef! What other kind of beef is there?"

Deadtigers and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  8. I suspect the surviving one ate the food of the two others:cautious:

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe lacking a little nuance, but still helpful.

20E40CB9-2088-4561-9F58-6C8A44871CF2.jpeg

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dutch police have confirmed a 28-year-old man from Serbia and a 33-year-old from Portugal had been arrested on a charge of mishandling.
    What is "mishandling?"

11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how goldfish die when they’re overfed it was probably the other way around.

Deadtigers and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Over-enthusiastic Larry just wings it

luftmensch repped this.
  13. Mmm, suspect google translate is going off track again.
    Correct translation should be physically abusing (like beating someone up) someone.

soccernutter and Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My kids grew up on Arthur and Avatar. Then we got Netflix and we watched Wacky Racers.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hoomins mightve been here earlier than originally thought

When the discovery of fossilized footprints made in what’s now New Mexico was made public in 2021, it was a bombshell moment for archaeology, seemingly rewriting a chapter of the human story. Now new research is offering further evidence of their significance.

While they look like they could have been made yesterday, the footprints were pressed into mud 21,000 to 23,000 years ago, according to radiocarbon dating of the seeds of an aquatic plant that were preserved above and below the fossils.

This date dramatically pushed back the timeline of humans’ history in the Americas, the last landmass to be settled by prehistoric people. The 61 dated prints, which were discovered in the Tularosa Basin, near the edge of an ancient lake in White Sands National Park, were made at a time when many scientists think that massive ice sheets had sealed off human passage into North America, indicating that humans arrived in the region even earlier.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/05/americas/ancient-footprints-first-americans-scn/index.html

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Did the FBI find a shit ton of Civil War-era gold in them thar Pennsylvania hills? Nobody knows...or do they? o_O

PENFIELD, Pa. (AP) — In the heart of Pennsylvania elk country, Eric McCarthy and his client, Don Reichel, got up before sunrise to scour the forest floor for so-called “brown gold” — a rack of freshly shed antlers to add to Reichel’s collection back home.

One hill over, a team of FBI agents was also hunting for gold. The metallic yellow kind.

The FBI’s highly unusual search for buried Civil War-era treasure more than five years ago set in motion a dispute over what, if anything, the agency unearthed and an ongoing legal battle over key records. There’s so much intrigue that even a federal judge felt compelled to note in a ruling last week: “The FBI may have found the gold — or maybe not.”

https://apnews.com/article/civil-war-gold-fbi-dig-pennsylvania-6b5feca00ebf3e04638a8bbce992809d

17. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son’s elementary school chorus once did Crazy Train. They had a young hipster teacher who would bring her band to play with them for the concerts. Worst thing about the performance was their wimpy guitar, but the kids were great.

Another time they did Should I Stay or Should I Go, that was pretty funny too.

Mike03, Quakes05, chaski and 3 others repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    After reading your post, I feel more fortunate about singing One Tin Soldier in fifth grade than I've ever felt before...

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Playing schools is kinda fun. Most of the kids haven't seen a big bass up close, so it's a teaching moment. If there's time, they file past and get a good look. I did a demo for some pre-schoolers back in the late 90s- for the last part, I sat each one on my stool and gave them each a chance to draw the bow across the strings. Best part was bringing it into the classroom. I had to speak with the teacher for a few minutes, and the bass was laying on its side in its bag. They got up from their desks and stood around the bag --didn't touch anything, good kids-- but they alternated between staring at the bag and staring at me, like "Okay, can we see what's in here already?"

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Shut your pie hole.

Random thought, who remembers Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law and Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Like the OG adult swim shows.

MattR and rslfanboy repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ya mean Space Age Simpsons? :p

23. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Harvey Birdman was hilarious and Colbert’s voice acting in those days way brilliant.

Was also fond of Sealab 2021 and of course, the Venture Brothers.

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I was a bit late for the grand opening! :eek:

upload_2023-10-8_19-37-48.jpeg

Dr. Wankler, BocaFan and xtomx repped this.
  25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who doesn't get choked up during the last 2 minutes of the "Fry's dog" episode doesn't have a heart.

spejic repped this.