The Did you know thread. Uselss, but Fascinating historical facts and stories)

Discussion in 'History' started by Excape Goat, Jan 2, 2006.

1. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    The "Baby Ruth" candy bar is named after President Grover Cleveland's daugther who died at the age of 13. She is buried near her father in Princeton, NJ.

3. Jay00

Jay00 Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    The magical island

So if a statement is made about the Jews your are Anti-Semetic and a Neo-nazi. I think that is crossing the line don't you

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I never heard of this story. It was strange that Hitler's nephew fought in WWII for the Americans. On further study, William Patrick Hitler changed his name to Stewart Chamberlain. Some suspected that he named himself after famous British anti-Semitic ideologist Houston Stewart Chamberlain. One of his sons' middle name was Adolf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Patrick_Hitler

5. Jay00

Jay00 Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    The magical island
    Alot of people with ethnic-German sounding last names changed their names during WW1 & WW2 in the US

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Its not my fault you're using neo-nazi sources, as others have pointed out to you. You are using a site that relies on the Protocols of the elders of Zion as real "evidence".

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    of course, The British Royal family cahnegd their name from Von Battenberg to Windsor, but this is so well-known that I am not putting as a part iof this thread.

But the surname "Stewart Chamberlain" (a double barrelled name) is very unusal. isn't it ironic that William Patrick picked a surname that is as anti-Semitic as Hitler? Hitler was not their original name. He can easily changed "Hitler" back to their original name and no one would suspect that they are related to Hitler.

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Others.

-- Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.

-- The shortest battle on record lasted 38 minutes. Britain defeated Zanzibar in 1896.

-- The first Allied bomb dropped in Berlin killed only one subject...... the only elephant in the Berlin zoo.

-- Mary Todd Lincoln was Stephen Douglas' girlfriend when Abraham Lincoln met her. Later, of course, Douglas became Lincoln's great political rival.

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to applaud the moderators of this forum for removing jay00's trolling posts.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  11. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iran invented Baltimore. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

On topic now:

Ohio and Michigan were the first two states to fight a war against each other; that Robert E. Lee had a hand in inciting. Ohio lost the war by winning Toledo.

12. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the first methods of anti submarine warfare attempted by Great Britain during World War I was a government program teaching seagulls how to sh1t on periscopes, rendering them ineffective.

13. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When 6 million of your fellow people are killed in one of the most gruesome genocides of all history, you get the right to be paranoid.

Furthermore, when you quote the obviously biased sources you did, you lose all credibility.

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Croatians invented the necktie and the pen. The anti-ship mine (back then called "torpedoes") were also invented in Croatia although most of the work was done by a British engineer. Thus concludes Croatia's impact on the world.

Oh, and that brings up Farragut's famous Civil War saying "Damn the torpedoes!" which, again, refered to stationary mines.

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piss off you lowlife. May your relatives be murdered by gas.

16. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always thought there had to be some kind of explanation like that for Baltimore's existence.

17. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the declaration of Independence was signed on July 2nd, not the 4th.

It wasn't announced by ringing the Liberty Bell. That was just made up by George Lippard in a novel in 1847.

The colonies did not pay crippling taxes. Tax rates were 1/50th of the level in Britain.

James Otis almost certainly never said "taxation without representation is tyranny" as there was no record of him saying those words until 40 years after his death.

ps, as a useless but not historical fact, I'll add that kangaroos have three vaginas.

19. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus, Farragut's cry...."damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" makes sense.

;)

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    That probably is crossing the line. However, calling the drivel you have posted anit-Semetic is not crossing the line.

22. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    They changed their name from 'Saxe-Coburg-Gotha' to 'Windsor'.

23. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    I did not read any of those sites the idiot posted and I do not want to seem like an anti-semite but why should only the Jewish people be the only who can carry the banner of the oppressed? What about the Armenian's, the Kurds, the American Indians, the 800,000 Tutsis in 100 hundred days? The WWII Holocaust was a horrible time in human history but not the only one and not the most recent one. It is time for the Jewish community to take those scares of the holocaust and use them to be active in proventing the next genocide.

Oh yeah and a did you know Pres. Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln and Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.

24. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, it didn't if you only thought about 20th century torpedoes.

Also, that phrase is always shortened - the full quote is: “Damn the torpedoes! Captain Drayton, go ahead! Jouett, full speed!”

25. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    The Maori got here (New Zealand, that is) about 400 years before the Chinese. I don't want to seem contentious or rude, but who is your source for this? I'd be interested in reading further.

Interesting historical fact: The book Robinson Crusoe was based on the true life story of Alexander Selkirk, who was marooned on a south sea island for 4 years. It has been claimed that Daniel Defoe, the author, met Selkirk in a Bristol pub (the Llandoger Trow which is still there) and heard the story first-hand before writing the book.