The Detroit MLS Name-Logo-Colors-Kit Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by RedRover, Aug 4, 2010.

1. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has to have EXPRESS in there somewhere....

"Supercharged soccer is back in town..."

2. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Detroit Express FC sounds badass, imo it's gotta be "Detroit ______ FC" , mix the traditional city nickname + FC like seattle sounders FC , just an opinion from an outsider

good luck guys on getting a team

3. New_York_Cosmos

New_York_Cosmos Red Card

Nov 10, 2010
    Monza
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Detroit Express all the way....that's the name for soccer in your city no other bull****

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Arsenal of Democracy" Is this phrase where the name came from (for the youth squads) in Detroit. I always thought it came from The Chrysler Arsenal Tank Plant in Warren.

Also given this history of the tank plant, all the other various wartime manufacturing that took place in MI (and still takes place) and the fact that Detroit was founded as a Fort. I would say Detroit Arsenal is not that far fetched for a name.

One more thing... I think it would be really cool to incorporate Greek colors (white and bright blue) into the uniforms. The possible owner being Greek and the Greek history in Detroit could make this a possibility.

5. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't just one plant, virtually the entire auto industry got into the armaments business during WWII. Ford's Willow Run plant switched over to building warplanes, for instance. So, we could just as easily name the team Detroit Airstrip as Detroit Arsenal.

Most American cities were founded as forts. Detroit is no different than any of them. Not to mention, an "arsenal" isn't the same thing as a fort. Forts contain soldiers, arsenals contain armaments; of course, they are sometimes in close proximity, but sometimes not.

I kind of tend to lean this way, as well. Considering that two of the three most likely hates rivals of a Detroit MLS team, Chicago and Toronto, both wear red, I think that we should rule that out immediately. My current favorite color combo is sky-blue and white, a la Man City, Lazio, Munich 1860 or Napoli. That's kind of similar to the Greek colors.

6. mmc2

mmc2 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    North of Canada :D
    Detroit adopted the "Arsenal of Democracy" moniker, the actual "Arsenal of Democracy" was the entire county providing war time materials to the allies without enter the war.

It is one of those phrases that have been romanticized over the years.

7. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems to imply that Detroit just stole the name for no reason... FDR explicitly referred to Detroit as "the great arsenal of democracy" in speeches, so it's not like something we just decided to apply to ourselves.

8. mmc2

mmc2 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    The "Great Arsenal of Democracy" in his speech was not Detroit but the entire country. He was referring to the USA becoming the great arsenal of democracy.

Even Los Angeles considered itself the "Arsenal of Democracy". Remember that shipbuilding which Detroit had no part in was a very large part of the "Arsenal of Democracy".

Also don't forget during that time race riots broke out in 1943 requiring federal intervention, including troops, which lead to race propaganda during the War. Not exactly the romantic image the name is trying to imply.

[​IMG]

9. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, what do the race riots have to do with anything? That's like saying "everyone romanticizes the 1968 Tigers but what about the RIOTS, man?"... you're talking about two different things that happened concurrently. Why shouldn't people be proud of Detroit's role in WW2? Contrary to what you say, most historians recognize Detroit as being particularly pivotal to the war effort because of the speed with which auto factories were converted to making armaments

You're conflating the fireside chat wherein FDR said "we must become a great arsenal of democracy" with the nickname for Detroit... the latter predates the former. The phrase was used to refer to Detroit, by both the press and FDR before the speech in December of 1940. Detroit had begun production on planes and munitions for the British all the way back in June. Further, it's not just Detroiters who use the phrase to refer to Detroit specifically... here's a quick example: http://www.life.com/gallery/34852

10. mmc2

mmc2 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    The race riots were the direct result of war production and the tension that developed within the community. There were not 2 different events, they were 2 events that were very much intertwined. Unlike your comparison of the 67 riots and the Tigers World Series win the following year.

While you may view it as a wonderful thing or great old Detroit, others do not hold that same viewpoint, hence the riot mention. Since you brought up the 67 riots, remember that many view it as a riot and others a great rebellion.

And as I mentioned other cities also viewed themselves as the Arsenal of Democracy. It is not unique to Detroit nor unique in soccer and a better moniker could be had IMO. Especially one that conjures up such a bad moment in the history of Detroit and the nation for many.

11. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, the riots were a result of a booming population and a housing shortage which forced blacks and whites (most of whom were transplants from the south) to live in close quarters, which led to racial tensions. It only has to do with the defense industry because it came to a head in 1943, but the seeds of the problem were planted long before when Detroit's population began booming with the auto industry.

If you're implying that there are African Americans who consider Detroit's role in supporting the Allied war effort offensive, then I say you're talking out of your ass. And "Arsenal of Democracy" absolutely is a unique nickname for Detroit, which is why you NEVER hear it associated with any other city. You can google "Los Angeles arsenal of democracy" and, after you sort through all the hits relating the video game, you'll find a scant few that refer to the city itself by that nickname and a ton that mention Detroit by it while also referring to LA in some other capacity. The riots were tragic, and they're a black mark for the city to this day... but to deny the absolute greatness of what Detroiters of both races accomplished during the war because of it is borderline insanity and something I've never come across in serious academia.

I don't want to get too far into the 12th Street riot since it's totally unrelated, but polls at the time indicate that the only people who saw it as a "great rebellion" were the rioters themselves.... Albert Cleage had nowhere near the support of mainstream, anti-riot politicians like John Conyers.

12. mmc2

mmc2 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Now you got it. What you may view as a positive is a negative to many and vice-versa.

BTW, there was not a housing shortage, it was a shortage of house for minorities. Minorities who came to Detroit for jobs brought about by the war buildup and then were treated as second class citizens by being squished into a small area in the city called Paradise Valley, nice eh?

Have you ever heard the term "Arsehole of Democracy"?

Don't forget troops were deployed in Detroit for almost 6 months. We can agree to disagree, but I still think a better name could be had for our local soccer franchise when we are finally lucky enough to secure one.

13. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to disagree, but I'd also say it's a moot point anyway. As much as some people fantasize about the name (mostly those who are casual at best soccer fans, at least in my circles), it would never happen. For one thing, I believe Kroenke still intends to call the Rapids "Arsenal Colorado" eventually, especially now that he's the majority shareholder in Arsenal. And the name is a better fit there considering both the relationship between the clubs and the fact that the Dick is right by the Rocky Mountain Arsenal.

I'd think Express or some variation thereof would likely win the day in a poll, perhaps with Motor City FC also having a good shot as everyone seems to like it (though I can see MLS nixing that one). If the fans don't get a say I could see something with Greek connotations (Detroit Olympic/Olympia FC) or something playing to Canadians (Detroit International/Inter Detroit) based on the owner's backgrounds. Of those 6 names, I think I'd go with Motor City or Express at the top and Inter at the bottom.

14. mmc2

mmc2 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Express would be a disappointment. Been there done that as far as I am concerned. Inter and Olympia do nothing for me. So I would also lean towards Motor City as the best of those 6 choices.

The key to a Detroit franchise and League is general (IMO) is getting a hand in the large advertising budgets of the Detroit 3, which makes the Motor City moniker all that more appealing in my opinion. The Detroit 3 advertising have been boon to every league they have backed going all the way back to Chrysler legitimatizing the AFL.

15. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow, really? Bringing up a 3 day race riot in 1943 as a reason why a 21st century Detroit soccer team cannot be named "Detroit Arsenal"?

16. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to derail this conversation even further, but this statement is entirely false. Vast amounts of iron ore was shipped through the great lakes and many of these cargo ships where built in Detroit. The iron ore they shipped was used by other boat builders to make the war ships.

...and the US maritime commision commissioned to have cargo ships built (in Detroit) for the war effort. Also, I am fairly certain there where various navy guns/torpedoes built in Michigan that where mounted onto ships.

17. mmc2

mmc2 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Over 75% of all shipbuilding was done on the West Coast and the Southern States during World War 2 and that does not even account for the forefront of American Shipbuilding which was New York. It was a national wide armament.

18. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not arguing that most of the shipbuilding was done in the west or the south, but MI did have a part in it. It might of been small but they still contributed.

19. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Motor City FC
    Motor City Express

Purple would be sweet. Grey and blue are also interesting.

20. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possible shirt combos:

Navy/Orange - Tigers colors
    Navy/White - Tigers colors
    Navy/Grey
    Forest Green/Navy - combo of Michigan and Michigan State colors
    Purple/White - this could be an interesting color combo

A couple of these would be new, unique color combos for MLS...could be readily identifiable.

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I can get behind purple, perhaps a little darker than Fiorentina above, and with just white as the contrasting color. Not sure if I've posted it in this thread, but I've said before that a loose association with The Purple Gang might be kinda cool.

1 person likes this.
  22. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like Montreal just snagged the blue and black stripes:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb0s2jpVvcM&feature=player_embedded"]‪Nouveau logo de l'Impact de Montréal / New logo of the Montreal Impact - MLS 2012‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I think White shirt with Navy shorts or all white would be pretty sweet and contrast the other teams in the area.

23. bobcat84

bobcat84 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @conartist

This is my favorite crest created so far along with the jerseys. Since San Jose are black and blue and so is the new expansion team Montreal, what if the blue becomes red. Just an idea but again great job on the logo and kits.

24. bobcat84

bobcat84 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could deal with that. There's even a Detroit connection to the red-and-black stipe jersey: The Detroit Express wore it in their last year of existence, in the old ASL.