The Detroit MLS Name-Logo-Colors-Kit Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by RedRover, Aug 4, 2010.

1. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah .. but .. aren't the canadians, like, right there? I mean, I never lived there myself but there are maps and stuff...

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada is right there, yes. South of downtown Detroit, in fact. But the Canadians aren't any more "right there" than the various Arabs or the Greeks or the Poles. Detroit is up to their armpits in all of them.

And sorry about not thinking of this before, but I would think some representation of sub-Saharan Africa should be included.

3. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the colors will likely not be what we end up with...holy mother of god is that a sweet looking jersey!

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely.

Well, since my new preferred name is Inter Detroit, how about the full-on striped jersey....?

5. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a very cool logo and I love the jersey. But, you maybe be able put 2013 or 2014 on it. Since the true is starting to come out with the Cosmos hype machine is are no longer being a shue in for the 20th team. And since Detroit has a stadium and a owner in the wings, it could come down between Detroit and Atlanta.

6. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Way ahead of you. Here's the away shirt, sticking with the muscle car/racing stripes look. Nothing too crazy.
    [​IMG]

7. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you dudes are taking it to a new level

love it

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks awesome. It occurs to me, though, that it might be a bit too close to the Earthquakes' jerseys.

[​IMG]

9. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, that's why I initially said that we likely wouldn't use those colors...but still, well done.

10. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dig the stripes on both the home and away and I think I have an idea as to a solution for the San Jose likeness - it came to me looking out the window. Replace the Black with gray or silver in an homage to our lovely overcast skies. I like Toronto's away grays and I think a Blue and Gray would be a good contrast to them and the surrounding teams. The blue collar for me is a good touch. It's probably one of the things I love most about the Piston's home shirt for the obvious symbolism. I'm also for the use of 1701, mainly because I think it's cool that our city is 75 years older than our nation's government.
    I used an adidas Tabella II as inspiration for majority gray; I really like near-same color stripes with a subtle difference. I think it looks classy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. atkruz789

atkruz789 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't check the thread for 2 days and BAM some sweet jerseys a new logo and I love all of them! :)

Keep up the good work guys!

12. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    These are sick

13. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my suggestion..

Detroit Phoenix SC

Inspired by the city's motto "Resurget Cineribus" (It Shall Rise From the Ashes). The concept of a phoenix represents Detroit well in my opinion. It's not only a reference to the 1805 fire, which is also referenced by the city's flag and seal, but also to the spirit of a great city that has been through the fire and is looking to rise up once again. The orange and navy blue scheme would work well with this concept.

14. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of Detroit Phoenix in theory, but in practice it would sound like the name of two different cities, as if a team wanted to name itself after an indigenous American species of mammal, and created the Pittsburgh Buffalo.

I'm starting to get my head around Motor City FC, and the whole "DMC" thing. I even thought that and old (and very underrated, even though I tend not to like the guy's body of work) Bob Seger song would provide the basis for a great song or chant:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxuCvhObKGA"]U.M.C.[/ame]

15. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WOW I really like these! they are beautiful.

16. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    So I was going through some logos over at Chris Creamer's Sports Logos when I came across this:

[​IMG]

A logo celebrating Detroit's 250th anniversary, that came out in 1951.

So I thought that would be the basis for another interesting Detroit MLS logo.

This is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]
    You like?

1 person likes this.
  17. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That looks nice. Simple but very classy. You could even add an olive wreath underneath where the 250th celebration title was. I keep trying to think up ways to improve it but beyond a white or silver border I can't think of much, it looks really good. Maybe put an old English D between 2 stars or something. Most crests use stars to mark championships - even though team USA has 3 like this without a world cup win - so either way looks really cool. Perhaps ours can each stand for 100 years of history.

18. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love the old english D but wouldn't there be an issue with copyright? form the tigers?

19. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not if we use an olde style D that isn't the specific Tiger's D. The Red Wings have that olde english D on some of their stuff that's slightly different. I think we'd be able to get away with one that isn't exactly the same, like the one on those Inter Detroit jerseys a few posts back.

20. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red, could you do a version without the buckyball and move the shield up. I think that would look mighty fine.

21. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    How's this...
    [​IMG]

22. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ I dunno. It's probably better with the ball. Maybe if the shield was larger.

23. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crest looks cool... but can you explain what the crest represents? the colors, the lion, stars, im assuming the thing at the bottom has to do with the french. i like the name... would hope the nick name could be the Express some how. little ceasars as sponsor that i saw earlier looked pretty cool

any more hopes of a deep pocket owner with interests in putting a team in the D?

24. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think lots of potentials but not many willing to build a stadium and lose a few mill a year.
    Then I think you need to be a true fan to invest like this.

25. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    The crest is based on the flag of Detroit.

[​IMG]

The fleur de lis and the lions represent French and British explorers and settlers who helped found Detroit.