The DeSantis Thread (aka Florida Man 2)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Smurfquake, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I turn to my wife and I ask her, "for a party that is all about alphas and calling Dems cucks and cucktards, why are so many of them afraid to take on Trump". I apologize for how vivid her response is.

She goes "they really are like cucks because they are watching him ******** their party and he is humiliating them as he does it. And then you have McCarthy and McConnell being the dudes that lick as it goes in and clean-up."

rslfanboy, superdave, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  2. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Jerry Falwell Jr is proud to be the poster-boy of the Republican Party.

xtomx and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mormon country. God protected you. ;)
    Actually, that is strange. When I was in high school I had to turn my head and cough to get clearance to play sports. And I had to have special clearance after my knee injury.
    And it was a major ******** up if documentation was not brought to tournaments. One of the players on our girl's team got kicked in retaliation and broke her shin. Coach forgot to bring the medical records and it wasn't until her parents showed up that she could get even an aspirin.

Auriaprottu, luftmensch and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I always found the small government argument weird when they would just give massive amounts to the military/CIA.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wife is awesome! And gross. You two have got to have some really off the wall conversations...God help your kids.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you get a chance to do so, rectify that situation.

Unless you're in the process of trying to quit smoking. You'll want to avoid the show altogether in that case.

Kazuma, bigredfutbol and Mike03 repped this.
  7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it’s required in California too, my son had to get a physical each year he played soccer and I had to way back in my day too. Don’t recall them offering anything through the school in any case though, we were on our own.

soccernutter repped this.
  8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    After the last election, I'm being skeptical on polls. And politicians mainly. Yes, there are people who want Trump gone, but they are not enough due to his grip.

Are you talking about Ron Johnson? I'm confused.

What? Voters have a choice. And the choice was between a normal Dem candidate and people where the term "batshit crazy" was being too nice. Blake Masters looks and acts like a total creep (And the closest thing I've ever seen to a Can-Toi), Kari Lake is STILL insisting she didn't lose, Trump's secretary of state pick in Michigan talked about demonic possession, his MI governor pick said a woman having a rapist's baby was "Healing for them" and much more.

The evidence is there. Look how he freezes when Charlie Crist probes him on the debates. He looked like a deer in headlights. And how many governors since 2004 have been hyped up only to fail? Rick Perry, Scott Walker (What's he doing now?), Jeb! (Please Clap) Bush, Chris Christie? And in DeSantis's case, he's in Florida. Look how close his first governor election was. That is not good, especially in Florida. Even Whitmer, who is despised by Republicans in MI, had a better margin in her first election.

And they will pick Trump. They are scared of him. DeSantis isn't scary.

There is a particular episode where a client wants to do a shot for shot remake of Bye Bye Birdie with Ann Margaret. They do it, it's a perfect copy, but the client says it doesn't feel right. Simply put, it's not Ann Margaret singing it. And that's how I view Trump and a pol acting like Trump. They may have the words down, but it isn't Donald Trump. And second the good Doctor, it's an amazing show.

bigredfutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It was meant as a reference to both John Ford's the Iron Horse and Zinnemann's High Noon. But as to why he would cast well-known character actors, that's pretty straightforward: we spend well over ten minutes with these guys and the entire sequence is nearly silent, apart from some rhythmic environmental noises (buzzing of the fly*/dripping of the water/creaking & squeaking of the windmill). So you need guys who can tell an entire story with just their chiseled mugs.

* Supposedly Elam and the fly was not pre-planned but improvised on the day, which if true is one of those happy & near magical accidents of cinema.

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Bulwark podcast had a long rant about this. They are rerunning 2016 where none of them has the balls to say 'never trump'

In fact - laughably - Paul Ryan is one of the few who has come out and said no Trump, but of course he is not an elected official.

https://www.thebulwark.com/podcast-episode/tim-miller-never-should-mean-never-2/

charlie15 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you put 100 dogs in a big room, every one of them will think at first that he is the alpha. But before too long, 99 of them will be licking one dog's ass. That is the Republican Party. Several hundred betas wishing they were alphas.

Mitt Romney excepted.

roby, Dr. Wankler, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    FYP

[​IMG]

soccernutter, Val1, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You lack of faith in the Film Monitor disappoints me.

Well played Sir!!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I should have given BG more credit. I tried to clean it up, but The Pip was too fast

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #891 xtomx, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Yes, but how many of those 100 dogs will George Santos steal and try to sell? :confused::eek:

bigredfutbol, Dr. Wankler, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I don't know how you're gonna make that real for your wife, but man, she has some imagination!

soccernutter and superdave repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I didn't have to get my testicles touched until I had the physical for my Mormon sabbatical.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Commercial for the first minute, discussion for the second minute, punchline a little after two minutes.

Deadtigers and Smurfquake repped this.
  20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this one, which has the opening from Bye Bye Birdie with the actual Ann Margret, followed by the Mad Men version, and then both at the same time, but it doesn't have the discussion or punchline. This is just in case people want to compare to the "real thing".

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    :eek:

luftmensch, soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying 30% for a long time. Pretty much since we were wondering how low Trump approval rating would go. Based on some polling as far back 2018, and using Nixon as the baseline, plus some stuff superdave has brought up, I've said floor of his approval is around 30%. Because of the fanatics.

This was further supported by Oz running at 30%, and Masters at 40% (on the high end). There were also one or two others like that as well in 2022. So, with this, I'm saying that he will get no less than 30% as is, and if his world falls apart and he is in a nursing home or prison, he will get 30% (+/-)

Yes. I would guess that if he was in the same situation as Oz/Masters, he would have around that (somewhere between 30% to 40%) in the primary. When it comes to the general, like Master/Lake/Oz/Walker, there will be some "na, not gonna vote" decisions. But as RoJo has name recognition, voters already knew him and he was able to get the "full" vote.

No, the choice was to vote for batshit crazy, or not vote.

I tend to agree. But until either DeSantis drops out, another charismatic person comes along, or the primary results come in, I'm gonna wonder. There is enough conversation across the board that there is disillusion with Trump that I'm not 100% sold he will be the candidate. Until he becomes the candidate.

This is what I keep hearing. Eventually, I'll get around to it.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  24. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whoa! I just watched that clip 15 times. Is it real, or.from some movie I'm not aware of?

dapip repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This may be the strangest sentence I have read today and I have read a lot of crap about our new "hero" George Santos.

Deadtigers repped this.