The DeSantis Thread (aka Florida Man 2)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Smurfquake, Aug 16, 2022.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah but Trump actually has struggled to raise money from the traditional big donors.

See the Kochs who went in big on Haley. They realise Trump is not aligned with their horrific version of conservatism.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so true. "The cruelty was pointless". That goon decided to use cruelty to further advance his political ambitions. I will never forget him using asylum seekers as pawns, flying and leaving them on Martha'sVineyard to score some political point with the maga base. Truly abject and inhumane.

They say of Donald Trump, “The cruelty is the point.”

For Ron DeSantis, we might amend that to say, “The cruelty was pointless.”

Rarely in American politics has a civic leader, a governor no less, used his official power to marginalize, demean, and endanger so many — in the naked service of career advancement — only to fall so spectacularly flat.

In the case of DeSantis, the Florida governor got trounced by Trump in the Iowa Republican caucuses. And despite his “Never Back Down” branding, DeSantis raised the white flag of surrender before having to face new embarrassment in the New Hampshire primary.

They say of Donald Trump, “The cruelty is the point.”

For Ron DeSantis, we might amend that to say, “The cruelty was pointless.”

Rarely in American politics has a civic leader, a governor no less, used his official power to marginalize, demean, and endanger so many — in the naked service of career advancement — only to fall so spectacularly flat.

In the case of DeSantis, the Florida governor got trounced by Trump in the Iowa Republican caucuses. And despite his “Never Back Down” branding, DeSantis raised the white flag of surrender before having to face new embarrassment in the New Hampshire primary.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...ry/ron-desantis-pointless-cruelty-1234950793/

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An other piece from Josh Marshall. I read the Times article as well and putting all those pieces together, TFG campaign took turn to humiliate and eviscerate De Santis. In typical bully's behavior, he didnt respond and count either. He was good at punching down at asylum seekers, black voters, LGBTQs communities etc but when punched repeatedly by Trump and his cronies, he took his beating in silences.

I wanted to flag to your attention this piece in the Times about the end of Ron DeSantis’s campaign. It contains a lot of themes you’re certainly familiar with. But I found it striking. Because it cuts through a lot of the pablum of conventional news coverage about how Trump operates and what Trump is about. In short, it explains how Trump devoted a solid year to a ritual and often sexualized humiliation of DeSantis which reached its crescendo in demonstrating that DeSantis was — in the face of Trump’s assault — unwilling or unable to defend himself. That last point was key. To the extent Trump was making an “argument” in the form of a performative and cacophonous psycho-sexual assault, it was DeSantis who made the final case about himself.

By taking it. By not fighting back. By making a fool of himself. By being, in the Trump right’s vivid degenerate phantasmagoria, a total cuck.

I don’t want to make too much of this. The piece is under the rubric of a “Political Memo,” which is when the reporters step back from the pivot and thrust of the daily news to give a broader overview. But it suggested to me at least some shift in dropping the pretense of conventional news coverage for conventional politics and approaching the quite unconventional story of what is really on its own visceral and physical terms.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/raw-rancid-and-real

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That the GOP went after Madison Cawthorn with vigor after that orgies comment is quite telling.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those 12 million were illegal immigrants voting for Trump, source "many people are saying"

charlie15 repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    this is so true.

PSA was also noting today that one candidate can’t really change national discourse. The GOP and right wing media carried Trumps water daily for 3 years since Jan 6 and this is the result.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Rotters all of them

dapip repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the post.. sorry

[​IMG]

9. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the migrants he (allegedly) had kidnapped and flown to Martha’s Vineyard have gotten work visas under a provision by which crime victims are eligible for them.

so DeSantis pulled a stunt for his White House run, which was a complete embarrassment. Plus the result of the stunt was the exact opposite of what he wanted.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/202...rd-by-desantis-get-special-visas-lawyer-says/

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would actually disagree with this. DeSantis's intent was not to remove them from the US, rather it was to score political points by sticking it to Democrats. Just because some of them got work visas, it doesn't change the scoring political points..

11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed however his stunt ended up benefitting those migrants. Not sure the was the intended outcome. We all know the cruelty was the point of his crass political stunt.

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I disagree, to a point. Cruelty certainly was an offshoot of the bussing campaign, but it was more because of a lack of caring beyond it being a political stunt. If cruelty was the point, it actually would have been better to leave them in Texas as the support system for undocument in Texas is way overloaded right now. Bussing them to Martha's Vineyard actually resulted in them getting better care than they would have gotten in Texas as that is often just a fare for a metro bus and a manila folder containing a list of local non-profits.

Athlone and superdave repped this.
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Couldnt find the original Florida man thread.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    it’s amusing watching all the ronboi elites crawl back to mango mussolini

charlie15, dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leopards, faces, etc.

charlie15, dapip, chaski and 5 others repped this.
  16. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I'm not sure how to properly say it, but it's wild that people can be victims of human trafficking, but their trafficker faces no justice punishment for it. That makes two Floridians engaging in human trafficking who dodge justice.

fatbastard, Deadtigers, InTheSun and 2 others repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Admit it, you DID NOT see that coming.

And by "did not see that coming," of course I really mean, "predicted it all along."

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a beautiful story.

ElNaranja, dapip, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  19. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Illegals are illegal and should be deported. This should be non-controversial. But we live in weird times where up is down and wrong is right.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I just can't, even!!

charlie15 repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you know about asylum laws? I’m willing to teach you.

song219, bigredfutbol and dapip repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3822 soccernutter, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    I'd like to direct you to the declining population thread.

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Id like to direct him to the fields where his tomatoes are harvested and see if he can last half a shift.

fatbastard, charlie15, SetPeace and 7 others repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Who let in the cracker? Oh, sorry, I meant "toast".

charlie15, Dr. Wankler and song219 repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hush. He's from the master race.

charlie15, luftmensch and Dr. Wankler repped this.