The DeSantis Thread (aka Florida Man 2)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Smurfquake, Aug 16, 2022.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I agree only because he seems the least competent of them and he's set the most conservatives money on fire.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Ramaswamy is definitely the worst of the bunch. He reminds me of a boss I used to have but cranked up to 11. He (like TFG) gives overly simplistic answers to complex issues. I cannot recall the exact question in the last debate but he was pressed on an issue and gave a flowery answer that amounted to "I would fix it." It reminded me of the nuclear triad question Trump had in the 2016 GOP debates. Both times, the crows ate it up and no one on stage or the presenter pushed back.

Ramaswamy, and Trump, give me the same aura of someone who revels in their lack of awareness and confidently will tell you how to fix something they have no clue, expertise, or interest in.

Dr. Wankler, Mike03 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This talk of which Republican would be "best" seems like the "fun" question I give my students when talking about Aztec sacrifices.

Would you rather:
    1. be sacrificed by being placed on your back over a curved rock and have a stone knife plunged into your chest so your heart will be ripped out
    2. be sacrificed by having your head cut off with a stone knife and pushed down the stairs of a pyramid
    3. be sacrificed by being thrown alive into a fire, pulled out of it, thrown back in, pulled back out and so on until you are dead
    etc.

dapip, Pønch, Kazuma and 4 others repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I want to see conservatives of color hit the ceiling. At this point, enjoyment of the destruction is really all we have left.

superdave repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He is the worst, and the one America deserves. But my reply to Song explains my position.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of stone are we talking about?

If it's obsidian, I'm definitely going with #2 because I'm assuming that sucker will go through both jugulars quickly.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This shouldn't surprise you. Just look at the House and how the Republicans can't get it together. It's chaos, but it started with the Tea Party.

8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, usually obsidian, so you're good to go!

dapip, xtomx, Dr. Wankler and 1 other person repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pour one out for next year's harvest!

dapip, song219 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that you mention it. . . I'm not sure if I remember his voice, or that of Chevy Chase imitating him on Saturday Night Live.

song219 repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How? The people love him. We keep coming back to this. Republican voters primary any GOP policitian who makes the mistake of acting reasonable. And they go all in for Trump, who aggressively attacks Republicans if they are not sufficiently terrible.

Comply or resign.

song219, bigredfutbol and Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Harley’s presidential ambitions sank when that video of him running showed and everyone audibly laughed on national television.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't understand why they claim to hate him.

He's done more for the GOP than any president in US history, periodt. He's allowed red states to reform education, he gave them an unbeatable Christian majority on the Supreme Court, he has literally re-energized millions of people who will vote for conservative causes... he helped America be comfortable with doing their own research during the COVID peak, he's expressed a toughness on crime(s) committed by POCs, he gave law enforcement officers a chance to shoot at the media (I guarantee you they never thought they'd get a gift like that from any POTUS).

If I was a White LEO, I'd be grateful for the chance to just assault some Black folks with no repercussions. That didn't always happen, but the chances are better.

If I was a White Christian, I'd be grateful that the return of Roe to the states offered me a chance to secure the existence of my people and a future for my children.

If I was a White GOP teacher, I'd be grateful for the chance to pimp my own race and teach students that while there are grave differences between White and Negro intellect, a tall glass of Type O blood still goes well with chicken salad and grapes.

If I was a White GOP politician, I'd be grateful for the opportunity to win a race against any liberal Black or Brown candidate without having to present any ideas of my own. And for having a built-in base that lives on one issue: hate. Why can't liberals hate the way conservatives do?

These people owe Donald Trump their first-born children, for real. They are biting the hand that fed them meat, after decades of grazing on leaves and roots.

14. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Huh, I knew of the first two options but wasn't aware of the aztecs doing that fire business. No wonder their enemies could not wait to help the spaniards get rid of them :eek:

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think it is a collective action problem as well - they keep getting defeated in small groups or individually.

e.g in 2021, the GOP senate could have killed him if they acted together but instead it turns out people like Pail Ryan were going around getting people not to vote to convict!

Again in 2022, after the midterms when Trump was weak, Ron could have stood up and said right that's it. Hes a loser, hes a criminal, he stole the documents - its time to move on and all the elites could have stood with him

But instead Ron did the opposite of that because he was a coward

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Because he is a loser who bungled the 2020 election

That was the easiest layup election ever. Shower Corona helicopter money, face down the crisis, stroll to victory. Numerous other leaders showed how it was done.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Numerous other leaders didn't have the same American population that elected Trump in the first place. COVID didn't cost him anything. In fact, it gave him more of the base precisely because he did their bidding when it was at its worst. You seem to be implying that conservatives wanted to address COVID like scientists. They didn't.

The only reason he lost is because a bunch of people who didn't like him decided to get out and vote.

But IMO the long game is more important. He's created a sense of purpose among the rank and file conservatives that will serve the GOP well for the next 20 years, if not longer. Those people who spat on people and coughed on people and cleared their throats in close proximity to other people didn't go away. Neither have the people who tore down plexi barriers in post offices. Kyle Rittenhouse is still around, as are the people who look up to him. Dylann Roof is behind bars, but the next church shooter is still out there, praying and planning.

Conservatism just had its Reconquista, and Trump is the Cid.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well whatever your view on that he lost as the incumbent in 20 then did a failed coup so the elites know he is a loser and an embarrassment, especially after they also failed in 22.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Repped for your optimism. May you have enough for the both of us.

InTheSun and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I share your fatalism, but I think you've nailed the core tenet of Trumpism far better than a thousand unemployed-miners-in-diners interviews ever could.

InTheSun, rslfanboy and Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think a lot of people who voted for Trump were either the die hards and people who knew who he was but didn’t know or think he’d be a problem. The die hards are that, die hards. Then those who voted him without seeing his issues, only to realize that maybe voting for a reality TV show guy wasn’t a great idea.

There are people like Rusty Bowers, who are more diehard GOP than Trump even if Trump and his supporters threatened their family.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you! These people are the Resistance. They don't have to be told what to do once a target is identified. They go to work on their own.

It's actually a beautiful thing, done in support of the right people and for the right reasons. I'd love to have that kind of unwavering, militaristic support in the Democratic Party.

74 million people voted for him the second time around. I mean, they did. Kazuma, there's just no place for "didn't know". Really, there never was, not even for 2016.

Example: I told y'all how bad it would be BEFORE the 2016 election. I'm not a political analyst, not a Washington insider with info about the secret plans of the GOP if they win the WH in 2016. I'm not someone with tons of relatives whose dinner table talk might have tipped me off. I probably know fewer people who were likely to vote for Trump than anyone else in this forum.
    But y'all didn't see it coming, and I did.

And you (royal) were told. "Didn't want to listen to the messenger" is different from "didn't know". Now, I'm willing to accept "didn't think he'd be a problem for THEM", as in, didn't expect a return on Roe...

raza_rebel and rslfanboy repped this.
  23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

More people voted for him the second time than did the first time. They cannot be excused for not knowing what he would be like the second time around.

raza_rebel, Mike03, InTheSun and 3 others repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Lots of people weren’t with him in 15/16 because they thought he wouldn’t win.

that’s why someone like Lindsay Graham became his biggest goon

It’s all about power.

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    They assume they'll he saved by Orange Jesus & have been conditioned enough to think that any Dem is Satan.

I heard recently that BP & Latinos are not so keen on Biden now. I always take these with a grain of salt since it very well could be Guy Who Delivers But is Old vs Whineyass Klanner Insurrectionist Who Is Also Old & Fat. The choice should be clear again but who knows any more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...lling-black-latino-voters-2024-election-trump