The definition of a dive (R)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Michael CM1, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Eskandarian11

Eskandarian11 New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    why u askin me for this definition???

Carlos Ruiz not available?? :)

2. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    The only thing Mapp did wrong was that he didn't go down earlier. He was being held by Leonard for an eternity, then he falls AFTER he gets free. That's not dishonest, that's just stupid.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    So you're implying that Reis had no play on the ball and was deliberate in trying to injure Rolfe?

:rolleyes:

Whatever then, and tell Segares next time not to deliberately cut in front of Reis as he's trying to push forward after making a save, maybe then he won't get a push.

The Magpie

4. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    There was no "make-up call" on the Mapp Dive, since Reis didn't foul Rolfe. I thought he had, but the replay showed it was just a bad collision. Elsewhere in the first half there was another foul for impeding progress when Mapp or Rolfe took a defender to the goal line on the right wing, then cut back at the line. The defender kept going, then cut inside and played dumb, keeping the Fire player from getting to the ball. The infraction occured off the field, but the appropriate restart would have been an indirect free kick inside the box on the far side. But no call was made. Leonard stopped heading to the ball, and the ball was not playing distance from him, thus he was guilty of impeding progress--formally called "obstruction." No call was made there either, which is consistent. Mapp's dive sold a trip that never occurred, and the miss on the PK was deserved. I'd just have prefered that Mapp could've blown it himself instead of Reiter.

5. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    It's easy to be magnanimous about it all after you win 1-nil, ain't it? ;)

6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it wasnt. It was a horrible non call. Reis never came close to getting that ball, he was too late for the ball and took out the man. Thats a foul, period. I could care less who won that game, but your blatant homerism is frankly delusional. Even Greg Lalas admits thats a PK, during the very video clip you keep telling people to rewatch.

7. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Ok. I agree with you, it was a PK. But let me discourage you from ever again using Lalas's interpretations of the rules to defend your arguments. Although Lalas bucking his own homerish slant may normally be a point in your favor, the man knows f'****** all about the Laws of the Game. He demonstrates this on air almost weekly.